Author Topic: Challenge For CelticsStrong: Rank The NYK-BOS-LAL Trade Assets  (Read 4714 times)

Re: Challenge For CelticsStrong: Rank The NYK-BOS-LAL Trade Assets
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2019, 02:39:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
#14 pick
Marcus Smart

I find this interesting. I think Smart has significantly more value than a late lottery pick.

This is so tricky because again, it comes down to what the Pelicans want.

Do they care more about a cost controlled young player with upside, or do they want a fairly-paid starter / role player who is what he is?

Some teams would probably not value Smart very highly at all, because he's a known quantity and wouldn't do much to help a rebuilding team.

Other teams might want Smart much more than any late lottery pick, because of the impact he has on winning close games.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2019, 02:50:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
#14 pick
Marcus Smart

I find this interesting. I think Smart has significantly more value than a late lottery pick.

Do they care more about a cost controlled young player with upside, or do they want a fairly-paid starter / role player who is what he is?

Some teams would probably not value Smart very highly at all, because he's a known quantity and wouldn't do much to help a rebuilding team.

Other teams might want Smart much more than any late lottery pick, because of the impact he has on winning close games.

I think for a team adding Zion and Tatum or Barrett, having a high-energy defensive bulldog like Smart would be more useful than an unknown young talent.  Leadership needs to come from somewhere, and I think the value Smart brings is well beyond what the average role-playing starter adds.

Selfishly, I just want to see Smart and Jrue Holiday play together.  That would be the best defensive back court in recent history.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2019, 02:51:25 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
#14 pick
Marcus Smart

I think for a team adding Zion and Tatum or Barrett, having a high-energy defensive bulldog like Smart would be more useful than an unknown young talent.  Leadership needs to come from somewhere, and I think the value Smart brings is well beyond what the average role-playing starter adds.

Selfishly, I just want to see Smart and Jrue Holiday play together.  That would be the best defensive back court in recent history.

Selfishly, I don't ever want to see that happen.

Keep JB+MS at all costs.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2019, 02:57:27 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3223
#14 pick
Marcus Smart

If we trade for AD, I don't see how Smart wouldn't be part of a package... It's too bad. I really like Smart as a player but when Danny gave him that contract, I knew it was as much about salary matching as about talent.

You could do Brown, Tatum, Baynes, Yabu, TIMELORD, and Semi. I'd rather do Tatum, Smart, and Yabu plus the picks....

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 03:06:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
#14 pick
Marcus Smart

Selfishly, I don't ever want to see that happen.

Keep JB+MS at all costs.

I hear you.  The problem is "at all costs" means no Davis, and we need to get a superstar in place.

But I think smart franchises should appreciate guys like Smart.  Look how important Iguodala has been to Golden State during their run.  Smart doesn't have Iggy's size, but he's a similar impact defender.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 03:07:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
  Leadership needs to come from somewhere, and I think the value Smart brings is well beyond what the average role-playing starter adds.

I agree.

I'm not sure that every team in the league feels that way, though.

Smart strikes me as the sort of player that some GMs might see as a borderline star in terms of the impact he makes, other might see him as overpaid.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2019, 03:09:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  Leadership needs to come from somewhere, and I think the value Smart brings is well beyond what the average role-playing starter adds.

I agree.

I'm not sure that every team in the league feels that way, though.

Smart strikes me as the sort of player that some GMs might see as a borderline star in terms of the impact he makes, other might see him as overpaid.

I think you're probably right, although I'd probably divide those teams between "dumb franchises" and "Smart franchises". ;)

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2019, 03:13:55 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1519
I am not sure how our best assets rate, but we as fans probably over rate them a bit.  That said, I have seen some posts recently on here saying that we will need to send both Tatum and Brown to get Davis, or even Tatum, Smart and Brown to get him.  I think both of those are madness.  Pelicans need to move Davis, Pels owner won't send him to LAL.  What other team can even beat Tatum Smart and picks?

If we end up trading both Tatum and Brown, it just feels that is way too much.  Maybe it is fan bias, but it feels like we shouldn't do that.

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2019, 04:13:04 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
I enjoy seeing the future Grizzlies pick as being valued either the 4th or 5th best asset in this collection of players/picks.

There was tons of debate over whether it was better if that pick conveyed at #9 (or #10 or #11) this year as opposed to rolling over.

If we replaced "Future Grizzlies Pick" with #9 pick in the 2019 draft I think you'd see that value slide down to right before the #14 pick in this year's draft (from this list).  And less valuable than Marcus Smart.

I'll say it again, I'm very glad it didn't convey.  In the mind of David Griffin it is much more valuable as a "possible unprotected in 2021" pick.

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2019, 04:25:37 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I am not sure how our best assets rate, but we as fans probably over rate them a bit.  That said, I have seen some posts recently on here saying that we will need to send both Tatum and Brown to get Davis, or even Tatum, Smart and Brown to get him.  I think both of those are madness.  Pelicans need to move Davis, Pels owner won't send him to LAL.  What other team can even beat Tatum Smart and picks?

If we end up trading both Tatum and Brown, it just feels that is way too much.  Maybe it is fan bias, but it feels like we shouldn't do that.

Yeah Tatum and Brown have gone from overrated to underrated this year as trade assets imo.

none of the latest stars demanding trades have fetched that much currency as an expiring, or even with 2 years remaining. Different situations with the same team, but looking far back at the CP3 and Cousins trades is interesting too.

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2019, 04:54:07 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86

Yeah Tatum and Brown have gone from overrated to underrated this year as trade assets imo.

none of the latest stars demanding trades have fetched that much currency as an expiring, or even with 2 years remaining. Different situations with the same team, but looking far back at the CP3 and Cousins trades is interesting too.

Does anyone have a list of recent trades of superstars and what was received in return?  Not asking you to do homework RondoFan, I just feel like I've seen that list somewhere recently.

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2019, 05:24:27 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
#14 pick
Marcus Smart

The tricky part is that it depends on his shooting. If he shoots what he did this year then all nba defense+average or better shooting+ability to run competent point at his salary is a pretty good value and worth more than a late lotto puck in a shallow draft. If he shoots like he did all other years then hes probably not a playoff level starter.

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2019, 05:33:47 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
Also I would go

Tatum
3rd pick
Jaylen
Ingram

4th pick
MEM pick
Lonzo
Smart

Kuzma 
Robinson
DSJ
14th pick

Hart
DAL Picks (via NYK)
Knox
Frank N

Assuming I'm not forgetting anything. I think Tatum is one, he has show he can be efficient, shoot well, defend average or better, and flashed immens scoring. I think barrett has a chance to be better than Brown or Ingram and has 4 cheap year while those guys get paid soon. There is every chance that the Mem pick doesn't give you a player as good as Jaylen. I think Jaylen and Ingram are close, but Jaylen doesnt have blood clots. I think there is big drop after the 3rd pick which makes the 4th and Mem picks close even if odds say the mem puck ends up lower than 4th whenever it conveys.

I think we are helped by the fact that Ingram is a poor fit with Zion and I may even be rating him too high given the health issue. We are also helped by the fact that although NYK have the second best asset their other assets are low value imo.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 05:42:26 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2019, 06:47:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • On To Banner 18!
I think Jaylen > Ingram because of Jaylen's 2-way potential but also the blood clot issues with Ingram now. But I'm a bit surprised people are ranking Jaylen higher than Kuzma even. I thought Kuzma would be considered another "blue chip" asset along with Tatum, #3 pick.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2019, 06:54:45 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
I think Jaylen > Ingram because of Jaylen's 2-way potential but also the blood clot issues with Ingram now. But I'm a bit surprised people are ranking Jaylen higher than Kuzma even. I thought Kuzma would be considered another "blue chip" asset along with Tatum, #3 pick.

Kuzma is a full year older than Jaylenr, a below average defender and scorer who shot 30% from three. I dont think hes as good as Jaylen in any definable way. He scored over 18 a game yes, but it took him like 15.5 shots a game.