Author Topic: Trump gets what he wants - Barr assigns John Durham to Russia case  (Read 1425 times)

Offline heyvik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 57
Investigation into the investigation!
Barr taps Connecticut prosecutor to head Trump Russia Investigation.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/05/13/attorney-general-barr-john-durham-us-attorney-connecticut-review-trump-russia-investigation-origin/1195462001/

WASHINGTON ó Attorney General William Barr tapped Connecticut's chief federal prosecutor, John Durham, to assist in an investigation into the origins of the Russia investigation and the FBI's surveillance activities, a person familiar with the matter said Monday.

The person, who is not authorized to comment publicly, said that Durham has been assisting the attorney general for at least a couple of weeks to determine whether federal investigators acted appropriately in the early stages of the now-completed inquiry into Russia's interference in the 2016 election.

Barr announced that he had launched the review last month during an appearance before a Senate subcommittee. He expressed concern about the FBI's use of surveillance involving associates of then-candidate Donald Trump as authorities sought to understand Russia's interference efforts, though Barr also said he did not know whether officials had done anything wrong.

"Spying on a campaign is a big deal," Barr told lawmakers then. "I think spying did occur. The question is whether it was adequately predicated."

At that time, the attorney general said he planned to examine the "genesis and the conduct" of the FBI's investigation into possible ties between the Trump campaign and Russia.

"I am not saying that improper surveillance occurred," Barr told the Senate Appropriations subcommittee. "I am concerned about it. There is a basis for my concern."

Democrats have seized on Barr's use of the term "spying," asserting that the attorney general has sided with President Trump to disparage the 22-month investigation that the president has repeatedly described as a "witch-hunt."

As recently as last week, however, FBI Director Christopher Wray said he was unaware of any evidence indicating that the FBI had abused its surveillance authority, distancing himself from the attorney general. "That's not the term I would use," Wray told the same Senate committee, referring to the "spying" reference.

Rod Rosenstein, until recently the department's second-in-command, said in a speech Monday that based on what he knew in 2017, "the investigation of Russian election interference was justified, and closing it was not an option."

What do you think will be the outcome? If nothing is found, do you think Trump supporters will actually accept the results?

Re: Trump gets what he wants - Barr assigns John Durham to Russia case
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 01:08:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2702
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think nothing will happen before the 2020 election but we'll get really convienient "leaks" from the FBI and Justice Dept

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 01:14:32 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 516
Karma has a wild way in coming back to bite you sometimes. Wonder if this will be one of those times? Will be interesting to see where the crumbs lead if anywhere. If they would only spend this much time on working together for our good and not their good, we would all be in a better place.

In any event, both sides are showing such beautiful restraint  ::)  I am still hoping for a strong independent candidate to gain momentum as we get closer to the next election.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 01:15:16 PM »

Offline blink

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 600
Impeach Barr.  He is nothing more than Trump's personal lawyer at this point.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 01:32:11 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 57
Karma has a wild way in coming back to bite you sometimes. Wonder if this will be one of those times? Will be interesting to see where the crumbs lead if anywhere. If they would only spend this much time on working together for our good and not their good, we would all be in a better place.

In any event, both sides are showing such beautiful restraint  ::)  I am still hoping for a strong independent candidate to gain momentum as we get closer to the next election.

I'm actually hoping for a STRONG Republican to gain momentum and actually debate Trump.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 01:33:48 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'm actually hoping for a STRONG Republican to gain momentum and actually debate Trump.

The only strong Republican I've seen out there since Trump got elected is now dead so I'm not holding my breath on that one.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 01:34:21 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 516

I am up for that scenario as well. :)

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 03:29:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27377
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Itís the Executiveís prerogative, I guess.  Itís the flipside of the sham hearings we see in Congress.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 04:28:04 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1346
I have to chuckle a bit at the 'since you investigated me, I'm going to investigate you' tact.

Totally predictable

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 04:31:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2702
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I have to chuckle a bit at the 'since you investigated me, I'm going to investigate you' tact.

Totally predictable

It's the act of a true statesmen.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 05:12:39 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 255
Good.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 05:51:32 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1585

I am up for that scenario as well. :)

I am good with a strong repub challenge. My fear with a strong independent in the race is that he/she pulls more from the dem than from Trump.  I think the most predictable voting block right now is the Trump 35-40%.  Break up the remaining 60% with a moderate and Trump wins a plurality and likely takes the electoral college.  My hope is that the Dems nominate a moderate.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 06:14:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1157
They should investigate because I still do not think we know all the answers about the Steele Dossier.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 06:53:26 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 6085
The whole investigation started and the FISA warrants issued because George Papadopoulos was bragging that the Russians had Clinton's emails to diplomats from an American ally, Australia, before the Russians released the emails. After seeing the emails released by the Russians(after Trump in a rally asked Russia to release them), Australia contacted the US and the investigation began.

Given those facts, I am not sure how you can claim the investigation was unwarranted or illegal. An ally of ours alerted the government that an official in a presidential campaign knows of Russians trying to influence an American election and what was the government supposed to do? Ignore it?

The investigation brought to light tremendous amount of evidence of Russian election interference and lots of corruption surrounding Trump. It was necessary, even if The Donald doesn't accept that fact and has to have his personal lawyer look into it for political reasons.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:48:57 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 07:40:22 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2274
They should investigate because I still do not think we know all the answers about the Steele Dossier.

yeah Clinton ....get ready for a dose of your own medicine. LHU

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required