Author Topic: Pierce on Griffin leaving Cavs: "Lebron now needs a new assistant"  (Read 3265 times)

Re: Pierce on Griffin leaving Cavs: "Lebron now needs a new assistant"
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 03:58:31 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I expect better analysis from the Captain.

Succinct, candid and refreshing........love it.

Shallow and pandering, I'd say. As max215 said, Griffin was a very good and creative GM.

That's the key. He found so many creative ways to generate assets out of thin air. Just look to moves like the Delly S&T and Portland pick swap. LeBron is a smart guy, but it's so insulting to Griffin to suggest that LeBron is responsible for these small, yet brilliant moves.

I don't think it was a shot at Griffin, but more of a shot at Lebron. I didn't watch the clip but from the one phrase, it connotates that Lebron has way too much (undeserved) power in Cleveland.

Exactly how I took it too.....i didn't perceive this as a slap at Griffin but rather at James and Gilbert and how manipulative Bron Bron is (calling out Griffin in public for the need for moves, when he easily could have done it by a call to Gilbert) and how sickeningly deferential Gilbert has been to James.
James was calling out Gilbert not Griffin.  Gilbert was the one holding the purse strings.  he was the one preventing the moves James was talking about.

Not so sure about that.

Certainly, you are closer (both literally and figuratively) to the Cavs scene than many here are.

Conceding that, that perspective can be a dual edged "sword" (which will be far less "feared" by the way, soon), sometimes giving greater clarity but through (again, literally and figuratively) a myopic lens.

Quips aside, not sure Griffin agreed with you, at least back in January when James directly to the press said "We need an f'ing playmaker".

Griffin took it personally both regarding himself and the organization which he runs:

Cleveland Cavaliers general manager David Griffin has appeared to take exception to LeBron James' recent public criticism of the Cavs' roster.
James blasted the Cavs' roster after a loss to the shorthanded New Orleans Pelicans on Monday, calling the team "top-heavy as s---" and saying it needed a "f---ing playmaker" and would be in trouble if he or Kyrie Irving got injured.

James also said that his team wasn't better than it was last year and that he hoped it wasn't getting complacent after winning a championship.

According to ESPN's Dave McMenamin, Griffin met with James privately after James made the comments. Griffin then addressed the media on Wednesday before a 116-112 overtime loss to the Sacramento Kings.

And this from Cavs Nation:

The comment about the organization being complacent I think is really misguided,” Griffin added. “Organizationally, there is absolutely no lack of clarity on what our goal set is. We are here to win championships, and there is no other solution, there is no other outcome that is acceptable, and there never has been. But in terms of the on-the-court complacency, I’ve seen a lot of that.”

A source told ESPN that there was disbelief that James could question the Cavaliers’ pledge to repeat as champions. Dan Gilbert, Cavs owner, is on the hook for the largest payroll in league history at more than $127 million. Questioning the man who has worked so hard to get his team to championship caliber seems a bit foolish

And this:

Griff,” as Griffin is affectionately known, took exception to James calling out the franchise’s commitment.

The comment about the organization being complacent I think is really misguided,” Griffin added. “Organizationally, there is absolutely no lack of clarity on what our goal set is. We are here to win championships, and there is no other solution, there is no other outcome that is acceptable, and there never has been. But in terms of the on-the-court complacency, I’ve seen a lot of that.”

Sure sounds to me like Griffin took it as directed towards him.

EDIT: And one last indication of Griff's disappointment in the petulant child-king:

McMenamin also reports a team source told ESPN that Griffin expressed his disappointment in the way James elected to share his thoughts on the roster.

It wouldn’t have been my preferred method,” Griffin told reporters. “It certainly wasn’t appropriate from a teammate perspective. But, it is what it is.”
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 04:06:38 PM by csfansince60s »

Re: Pierce on Griffin leaving Cavs: "Lebron now needs a new assistant"
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
I expect better analysis from the Captain.

Succinct, candid and refreshing........love it.

Shallow and pandering, I'd say. As max215 said, Griffin was a very good and creative GM.

That's the key. He found so many creative ways to generate assets out of thin air. Just look to moves like the Delly S&T and Portland pick swap. LeBron is a smart guy, but it's so insulting to Griffin to suggest that LeBron is responsible for these small, yet brilliant moves.

I don't think it was a shot at Griffin, but more of a shot at Lebron. I didn't watch the clip but from the one phrase, it connotates that Lebron has way too much (undeserved) power in Cleveland.

Exactly how I took it too.....i didn't perceive this as a slap at Griffin but rather at James and Gilbert and how manipulative Bron Bron is (calling out Griffin in public for the need for moves, when he easily could have done it by a call to Gilbert) and how sickeningly deferential Gilbert has been to James.
James was calling out Gilbert not Griffin.  Gilbert was the one holding the purse strings.  he was the one preventing the moves James was talking about.

Not so sure about that.

Certainly, you are closer (both literally and figuratively) to the Cavs scene than many here are.

Conceding that, that perspective can be a dual edged "sword" (which will be far less "feared" by the way, soon), sometimes giving greater clarity but through (again, literally and figuratively) a myopic lens.

Quips aside, not sure Griffin agreed with you, at least back in January when James directly to the press said "We need an f'ing playmaker".

Griffin took it personally both regarding himself and the organization which he runs:

Cleveland Cavaliers general manager David Griffin has appeared to take exception to LeBron James' recent public criticism of the Cavs' roster.
James blasted the Cavs' roster after a loss to the shorthanded New Orleans Pelicans on Monday, calling the team "top-heavy as s---" and saying it needed a "f---ing playmaker" and would be in trouble if he or Kyrie Irving got injured.

James also said that his team wasn't better than it was last year and that he hoped it wasn't getting complacent after winning a championship.

According to ESPN's Dave McMenamin, Griffin met with James privately after James made the comments. Griffin then addressed the media on Wednesday before a 116-112 overtime loss to the Sacramento Kings.

And this from Cavs Nation:

A source told ESPN that there was disbelief that James could question the Cavaliers’ pledge to repeat as champions. Dan Gilbert, Cavs owner, is on the hook for the largest payroll in league history at more than $127 million. Questioning the man who has worked so hard to get his team to championship caliber seems a bit foolish

And this:

Griff,” as Griffin is affectionately known, took exception to James calling out the franchise’s commitment.

Sure sounds to me like Griffin took it as directed towards him.

EDIT: And one last indication of Griff's disappointment in the petulant child-king:

McMenamin also reports a team source told ESPN that Griffin expressed his disappointment in the way James elected to share his thoughts on the roster.

It wouldn’t have been my preferred method,” Griffin told reporters. “It certainly wasn’t appropriate from a teammate perspective. But, it is what it is.”
James has always spoken very highly of Griffin and very poorly of Gilbert.  James was calling out Gilbert but Griffin took some heat by the media and Griffin as ownership's rep responded.  This all stemmed from Gilbert promising James that he would spend whatever it took and James seeing assets being squandered and leaving the team light on the bench.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip