Author Topic: Serious question about Danny's thought process...  (Read 3197 times)

Re: Serious question about Danny's thought process...
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 11:30:54 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i dont think this year was a great year to have the #1 pick - Fulz may turn out to be great, but i dont think hes in the class of the most obvious #1 picks heading into the draft- like Shaq / Duncan / LeBron.  Those few absolute no brainers are the best times to have the first pick IMO. too bad this year wasnt one of those.
  we're just left w trusting danny. hes got us this far, i'm a believer :)

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1216
Danny just wants picks. He doesn't pick with them or use them. Just trades for more picks
really? how about brown, did ainge hatch him from an egg or draft him? smart? rozier? yabusele? zizic? and on and on. nope, no hatching, just drafting.  ;D

Brown had a meh rookie season, there's still hope for him.

Rozier, stopped a trade with the Magic... because idk he can rebound for a guard?(stupid skill btw)

Smart, billed as a defensive stopper who got scored on with ease in the playoffs... yay!! more of this please!!

All the other guys have as much questions marks as Markelle Fultz, probably more

What does any of that have to do with what hwangjini said? celticinorlando said that Danny never uses his picks, and hwangjini pointed out that, actually, he's used tons of picks in the past few years (2 firsts in 2014, 2 again in 2015, and then 3 last year)

Whether or not you think they're good players isn't relevant in the least
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Danny just wants picks. He doesn't pick with them or use them. Just trades for more picks

Hahaha!  Seriously!  The truth is, he doesn't/hasn't drafted well.  I really don't think he is that great of a talent evaluator.  Great trader, yes.  Great deal maker, yes.
actually, around the nba and through discussions here, the consensus is that ainge is a good drafter of talent.

oh, if you wish to debate that, you cant use 20/20 hindsight ("ainge missed player X and Y!") without doing the identical process on other GM draft histories as well.

Can't use 20/20 hindsight?  Then how do you determine whether it was a good draft pick or not.  Of course other GM's passed over the same players Danny passed over.  But what does that mean, he's as bad a drafter as them?  There will always be players teams/GMs miss. 

Just off the top of my head....San Antonio, OKC, GSW, Chicago, Milwaukee, are all better talent evaluators and drafters.  Ainge is ok in that department.  He excels at making deals.

No, he said "you cant use 20/20 hindsight [...] without doing the identical process on other GM draft histories as well".  Go through the histories for the Spurs, Thunder, Warriors, Bulls, and Bucks.  You'll find that their draft histories aren't actually perfect, just as Ainge's isn't.  But if you just want to compare their draft hits to all of our picks, then using "20/20 hindsight" is useless.

Not to mention that "he's not as good as these 5" and "he doesn't draft well" are light years apart

Doesnt matter if they're light years apart.

I'm saying...

1.  He's not as good as those 5 and...
2.  He doesnt draft well

Let me refresh your memory

http://bit.ly/2tkx1ed

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 12:57:08 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Danny wants to one-up Belichick and accomplish what the Pats could never do. Keep trading for future picks until one year they have all 30 first-rounders.

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 01:04:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2679
  • bammokja
Danny wants to one-up Belichick and accomplish what the Pats could never do. Keep trading for future picks until one year they have all 30 first-rounders.
very cute. this is something the onion would put out. :)

tp to you sir.

http://www.theonion.com/article/fantasy-draft-preparation-ep-1-32
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 01:08:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572

Hahaha!  Seriously!  The truth is, he doesn't/hasn't drafted well.  I really don't think he is that great of a talent evaluator.  Great trader, yes.  Great deal maker, yes.
actually, around the nba and through discussions here, the consensus is that ainge is a good drafter of talent.

oh, if you wish to debate that, you cant use 20/20 hindsight ("ainge missed player X and Y!") without doing the identical process on other GM draft histories as well.
Ainge is about average.  I've gone through his draft history on here numerous times and he has as many misses as he does hits, and he is actually trending in the wrong direction (a lot more misses a lot more frequently).  This was pre-last year which is too early to judge.

He is an excellent trader though, which can't be lost in any analysis of Danny as a GM overall. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 01:35:55 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1671
really? how about brown, did ainge hatch him from an egg or draft him? smart? rozier? yabusele? zizic? and on and on. nope, no hatching, just drafting.  ;D

ROFL
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 01:45:45 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1671
There is a reason DA is the 4th best rated GM!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 01:50:53 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72

Ainge is about average.  I've gone through his draft history on here numerous times and he has as many misses as he does hits, and he is actually trending in the wrong direction (a lot more misses a lot more frequently).  This was pre-last year which is too early to judge.

He is an excellent trader though, which can't be lost in any analysis of Danny as a GM overall.

No doubt.  I'd say he is arguably the best in making deals.  But avg at talent evaluation and drafting.

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 01:50:58 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
DA knows he can't get fired if his team always has a stockpile of picks

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 01:51:05 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62

It's difficult to say he misses more than he hits without factoring in the reality that over his decade of GMing he's only had like 3 or 4 lottery picks. Yet still we were able to find valuable pieces all over the draft that have proven to be valuable pieces on championship teams and some still on the team today. To be honest finding Bradley at 19, KO at 16, Zizic at 23, Rozier at 16, inclusion of Crowder, ET and IT in trades... all points to a top-notch talent evaluator.

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 02:50:18 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

Brown had a meh rookie season, there's still hope for him.

Rozier, stopped a trade with the Magic... because idk he can rebound for a guard?(stupid skill btw)

Smart, billed as a defensive stopper who got scored on with ease in the playoffs... yay!! more of this please!!

All the other guys have as much questions marks as Markelle Fultz, probably more

What does any of that have to do with what hwangjini said? celticinorlando said that Danny never uses his picks, and hwangjini pointed out that, actually, he's used tons of picks in the past few years (2 firsts in 2014, 2 again in 2015, and then 3 last year)

Whether or not you think they're good players isn't relevant in the least

I'm obviously just PO'd at the amount of  Damage control this man is afforded on any given subject and most deliver it in a patronizing matter. I apologize for going off rails, but he obvi uses picks but if I am to believe that the #1 pick was traded for #3 and a top 2-5 pick so that he can use them... well he better learn to evaluate guys and not keep hitting singles