Poll

pick a scenario:

He deserves a max, just not with Boston
Yes Pay him and keep the pick
Yes Pay him only if we enter a win now situation (I.E Sign Hayward, trade pick for George)
IT is not worth a max under any scenario
IT is worth the max with Boston under any scenario

Author Topic: Would people still pay IT a max?  (Read 5354 times)

Re: Would people still pay IT a max?
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2017, 01:18:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I really don't think there's a choice.

You've got to hold onto your superstar player.

He's flawed but he's the guy we got.  We've got the assets to build a good young team around him.

That should be the goal.

I disagree, and for one reason. We have a choice.

We have a choice, we have the #1 pick coming in, and either we trade or keep that, theoretically speaking, that player could be your superstar.

And we also have cap room to, again in theory, get another one.

We will have a year to figure this out, but if whoever we get in Free Agency and the #1 pick pans out, we'd have to really think about if we should be giving IT the max or not.

I think if you let IT go, you might as well trade Horford and just go full-on youth movement, because you're not getting any major free agents to come here and you're not going to get even as far as they got this year anytime soon.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2017, 01:41:12 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
All-NBA 2nd Team

Yea what's your point? Harden was all NBA first team and I cringe at the thought of him ever being a Celtic.

Is Harden worth the max?

Teams should sign and support their great players. IT carried this team to a #1 seed and the ECF despite a flawed roster.  It's non-sensical to start over once again, when we have the option of winning now and in the future.

Teams should give their best to win titles. It only makes sense to support great players if it makes the team have a shot at winning

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2017, 01:45:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
All-NBA 2nd Team

Yea what's your point? Harden was all NBA first team and I cringe at the thought of him ever being a Celtic.

Is Harden worth the max?

Teams should sign and support their great players. IT carried this team to a #1 seed and the ECF despite a flawed roster.  It's non-sensical to start over once again, when we have the option of winning now and in the future.

Teams should give their best to win titles. It only makes sense to support great players if it makes the team have a shot at winning

No, it always makes sense to support great players. This idea that we shouldn't attempt to improve unless we are the favorite for a championship is silly and defeatist.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2017, 01:55:04 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I really don't think there's a choice.

You've got to hold onto your superstar player.

He's flawed but he's the guy we got.  We've got the assets to build a good young team around him.

That should be the goal.

I disagree, and for one reason. We have a choice.

We have a choice, we have the #1 pick coming in, and either we trade or keep that, theoretically speaking, that player could be your superstar.

And we also have cap room to, again in theory, get another one.

We will have a year to figure this out, but if whoever we get in Free Agency and the #1 pick pans out, we'd have to really think about if we should be giving IT the max or not.

I think if you let IT go, you might as well trade Horford and just go full-on youth movement, because you're not getting any major free agents to come here and you're not going to get even as far as they got this year anytime soon.

That is absolutely fair.

However, if we land a free agent AND Markelle Fultz/the star we trade the pick for, and they both pan out, we'd have to consider not maxing Isaiah.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009
No, I think it's pretty clear he's not a franchise player and doesn't deserve a max.

That being said, there are some circumstances where maxing IT might still make sense, though they're becoming more and more unlikely after this beat down.

If we could 1A) get a secondary scorer in free agency (like Hayward) AND an upgrade at the 4 OR 1B) get a secondary scorer AND an upgrade at the 4 (like Griffin), AND 2) trade AB for future assets to open up playing time for Brown and Fultz and get bigger in the starting lineup, then I could see us making IT a near max player.

Otherwise, I have no desire to run this same basic inherently flawed team back again. Either sign a max FA, upgrade our bigs rotation, and trade AB for future assets or just go ahead and move on from IT now and go with a younger, more two-way focused core of Fultz, Brown, Smart, Rozier, AB, etc.