Author Topic: Is Kevin Love's contract good/bad?  (Read 3887 times)

Is Kevin Love's contract good/bad?
« on: June 09, 2016, 11:12:03 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
With the upcoming explosion in the NBA salary cap structure, how does Kevin Love's contract look going forward all things considered?  Thoughts?

Pulled this from Hoopshype so if someone has better numbers, feel free to post them.

2016-17: $21,165,675
2017-18: $22,642,350
2018-19: $24,119,025
2019-20: $25,595,700 (player option)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Is Kevin Love's contract good/bad?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 11:14:04 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
With the upcoming explosion in the NBA salary cap structure, how does Kevin Love's contract look going forward all things considered?  Thoughts?

Pulled this from Hoopshype so if someone has better numbers, feel free to post them.

For a one way guy it's putrid.  Normally when a player makes that much there's no such thing as a team being better without the guy.  Cleveland is better without the guy.

Edit:  i don't hate Kevin.  I just think he's overrated.  If you don't want Okafor, ask yourself why you want Kevin Love.  (I'd prefer Okafor by a landslide Celtics playing style be danged.).

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 11:19:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
His contract is fine
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 11:21:38 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

For a one way guy it's putrid.  Normally when a player makes that much there's no such thing as a team being better without the guy.  Cleveland is better without the guy.

Edit:  i don't hate Kevin.  I just think he's overrated. If you don't want Okafor, ask yourself why you want Kevin Love.  (I'd prefer Okafor by a landslide Celtics playing style be danged.).
Id say two of the Celtics biggest weaknesses are shooting and rebounding. Kevin Love brings both of those things. Okafor brings neither. Not a huge fan of either guy, and Id rather add Okafor, but the answer to you question is pretty obvious.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Based on how he has played for the Cavs it's not a good contract. He is a shadow of the player he once was with the Timberwolves.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 11:52:22 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I usually get my contract info from Spotrac.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/yearly/cap/

They list the same dollar figures, but the final year is not listed as a PO.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 11:57:50 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Nothing at all wrong with that, as he's been thoroughly miscast in Cleveland.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 12:08:45 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
I guess the big question is - what is Kevin Love?

- In his years as a Wolve, he never got his team to the playoffs. Granted he was on teams with minimal talent, but you can also argue that he's not the type of franchise player who can transcend the talent around him or make others better players.
- As a Cav, he's been the third option and not found his comfort. Relegated to a corner three-point shooter who waits for someone to penetrate and kick the ball to him, he's struggled.
- As a defender, he's struggled with the lack of support and has been asked to play differently in CLE than in MINN. His lack of mobility hurts him
- As a rebounder, he has strong fundamental skills and can be effective
- His low post game has suffered, mostly due to his now being an outside spot-up shooter.

Does Love need a strong #1 alpha to be effective? Has he been simply miscoached? Has his mental state damaged him, making him a reclamation project worthy of a chance? Has the game changed to more speed and versatility (Draymond, Leonard), leaving him on the outside looking in?

So many questions about Love. So many large contract years ahead. While I hope Love can turn his game around and get a fresh start, giving up the players CLE will want to make a trade and then paying him top dollar for the next 4 years is a huge risk.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 12:16:12 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
The issue with KLove is defense. We've crafted an identity as a team of try-hards. Does he fit with that identity? I'm not so sure. He may be best suited to a team that really focuses on second chance points and offensive rebounding.

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 12:19:01 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Edit:  i don't hate Kevin.  I just think he's overrated. If you don't want Okafor, ask yourself why you want Kevin Love.  (I'd prefer Okafor by a landslide Celtics playing style be danged.).
Id say two of the Celtics biggest weaknesses are shooting and rebounding. Kevin Love brings both of those things. Okafor brings neither. Not a huge fan of either guy, and Id rather add Okafor, but the answer to you question is pretty obvious.

Yeah that's true very different players....And I agree with Bo he's not used well/useful in Cleveland.  I'm only against trading for him because I don't want to improve on the Cleveland team we saw last night.  Maybe if all we gave up for Love was future picks that have no chance of helping Lebron while he's still in his post prime then I'd be happy with the trade.

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 06:29:32 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
It's a cheap contract. Think about it this way, next year Harrison Barnes and Hassan Whiteside will be paid more than him (I presume they both get the max), so the contract he has isn't even one expected of a 1st option anymore

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 07:22:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is bad at present.   It may not be bad next year.   I think it is folly to pay that much for a guy who is a one way player but the league market says otherwise.

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 07:53:51 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

I usually get my contract info from Spotrac.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/yearly/cap/

They list the same dollar figures, but the final year is not listed as a PO.

thx for the link Lucky, I was looking for an alternative to HoopsHype for some time now.

It is accurate for the most part, but also contains some gross mistakes: for instance, they have been giving wrong info on Crowder's contract for a year now (I just re-checked).

As for Love's contract, it is fine esp. given the salary cap rise.

What concerns me more is what assets we will have to give up for the trade to happen.

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 09:53:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Bad contract for Cleveland because of how they use him.

A good contract on a team that builds it offense around his strength.