Author Topic: Labissiere question  (Read 1394 times)

Labissiere question
« on: May 08, 2016, 02:36:58 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
What if Labissiere lives up to the early hype and becomes just as good as Ingram and Simmons. Will you be upset if Ainge passes him up with the 3rd to fifth pick?

I figure we should get this out of the way so we don't have another Giannis Antetokounpo situation with people complaining after the fact.

I'll start by saying that I'll be ok since he seems so soft. The guy however has some crazy potential but I won't criticize Ainge for missing out on him if he passes, just because the guy looked so lost playing college ball. It's a tough one.

Re: Labissiere question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 02:46:29 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I think we will hear about it even though literally every mock draft has him sliding big time. I'd be fine to trade up to get him, though.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 02:47:52 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Passing on any player that becomes a better player than the one you draft always hurts.

Oh and I was in the anyone but KO camp but really wanted Gobert or Giannis. Both those guys turned out well.

I'm a big Lab fan but he hasn't shown he should be picked top 5. Simmons, Ingram, Murray, Heild and Dunn will likely go top 5.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 02:54:38 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 751
I still like the idea of drafting Skal for the upside but we can get him later in the draft. It doesn't sound like he's going in the top 10. If we can trade up with the 16 and 23 and draft him in the 10-12 range, I'd be good with that.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 03:01:22 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I wonder if Skal is being overrated simply for being a freshman. However, he's already 20. Yet a junior center like Damian Jones is also 20 and projected to go much lower than Skal. This despite being very productive averaging 13.9 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.6 bpg, on 59% shooting in just 26.2 mpg. If he were an older freshman like Skal would his stock improve as a result?

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 03:04:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My guess is that this is something that we never have to worry about, because nothing about this kid screams "superstar". 

No, I will not be upset if Danny declines to reach on him.  I generally don't judge Danny in hindsight.  The reason so many were upset about missing on Giannis was that we wanted him *before* the draft.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 03:05:48 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
I still like the idea of drafting Skal for the upside but we can get him later in the draft. It doesn't sound like he's going in the top 10. If we can trade up with the 16 and 23 and draft him in the 10-12 range, I'd be good with that.
I like the prospects around the 16th pick but I'm not sure the 23rd has a ton of value. Might be tough to move up by packaging those picks.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 03:07:22 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I wonder if Skal is being overrated simply for being a freshman. However, he's already 20. Yet a junior center like Damian Jones is also 20 and projected to go much lower than Skal. This despite being very productive averaging 13.9 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.6 bpg, on 59% shooting in just 26.2 mpg. If he were an older freshman like Skal would his stock improve as a result?

Whoa. That's really interesting, and something I hadn't thought about.

I gues Skal just has this "freshman aura" or whatever around him that's keeping him this high up.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 03:11:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Lab is Thabeet 2.0
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 03:13:45 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
My guess is that this is something that we never have to worry about, because nothing about this kid screams "superstar". 

No, I will not be upset if Danny declines to reach on him.  I generally don't judge Danny in hindsight.  The reason so many were upset about missing on Giannis was that we wanted him *before* the draft.
I think if we had the 9th to 12th pick that a lot of people would be hoping for Lab there. The guy has incredible length, athleticism, soft touch, decent shot blocker. The ability is there.

Flip it around to Giannis. If we had the 5th pick, not many would be asking for Giannis there.

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 03:16:15 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I think Skal and KAT have quite similar play styles, both being stretch 4 type players. Both players were pigeon holed into certain roles during their time in Kentucky. Difference in the two players is that KAT was worlds better than Skal in the traditional "Big Man" role, and skyrocketed to the top of the draft. I think that once Skal gets drafted, his role will change to more of a perimeter player, somewhat like Channing Fry. In Kentucky they used him as a low post/pick and pop player, I think he has an ability to be more than that. Maybe somewhat Giannis like.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 03:23:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think if we had the 9th to 12th pick that a lot of people would be hoping for Lab there. The guy has incredible length, athleticism, soft touch, decent shot blocker. The ability is there.

Flip it around to Giannis. If we had the 5th pick, not many would be asking for Giannis there.

Well, right.  Draft position matters.  It makes more sense to gamble on no-production upside at #12 than it does at #3.

If Labissiere is there at #16, take him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes