Author Topic: Would We Take Back Rondo If It Meant Getting Cousins?  (Read 4836 times)

Re: Would We Take Back Rondo If It Meant Getting Cousins?
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2016, 08:26:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
Why would anyone assume Rondo would start over Thomas or that Rondo would get 15 million a year?

Because Rondo is a free agent coming off a season where he played 72 games (showing that his health is no longer a major concern) and averaged 12 points, 12 assists, 6 rebounds and 2 steals.

When Rondo is putting up numbers like that it's pretty hard to argue that he's not worthy of a max deal, especially when the cap is going up to $89M and almost every team in the league has money to make a max offer. 

If Rondo can get a max contract and starting role from somebody (and I'm sure he will), then why on earth would he take a half / third of that to be a backup PG for the Celtics?

A max contract for Rondo?

BWAHAHAHAH.

Go and speak to Tristan Thompson and Chandler Parsons about their contracts.  Then come back and we will talk :)
Thompson and Parsons were young guys not yet even in their prime.  Both were restricted free agents and one of which switched teams (which means you always have to overpay). 

Rondo is a terrible shooter and is no longer the defender he once was.  There is all sorts of evidence that his team played better without him on the floor.  Rondo was so bad in Dallas that Sacramento was the only team that would sign him and only did so on a one year contract.  Rondo will be lucky to get 10 million a year.  He probably gets a starting job somewhere (though there aren't many teams that could use a PG).  I actually think he either re-signs in Sacramento or goes to Brooklyn.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2016, 08:39:21 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Why would anyone assume Rondo would start over Thomas or that Rondo would get 15 million a year?
Because Rondo is a free agent coming off a season where he played 72 games (showing that his health is no longer a major concern) and averaged 12 points, 12 assists, 6 rebounds and 2 steals.

When Rondo is putting up numbers like that it's pretty hard to argue that he's not worthy of a max deal, especially when the cap is going up to $89M and almost every team in the league has money to make a max offer. 

If Rondo can get a max contract and starting role from somebody (and I'm sure he will), then why on earth would he take a half / third of that to be a backup PG for the Celtics?

BWAHAHAHAH.

Go and speak to Tristan Thompson and Chandler Parsons about their contracts.  Then come back and we will talk :)
Thompson and Parsons were young guys not yet even in their prime.  Both were restricted free agents and one of which switched teams (which means you always have to overpay). 

Rondo is a terrible shooter and is no longer the defender he once was.  There is all sorts of evidence that his team played better without him on the floor.  Rondo was so bad in Dallas that Sacramento was the only team that would sign him and only did so on a one year contract.  Rondo will be lucky to get 10 million a year.  He probably gets a starting job somewhere (though there aren't many teams that could use a PG).  I actually think he either re-signs in Sacramento or goes to Brooklyn.
I see Rondo as having played well enough this season to get a starting job at 10-12M at either of those teams or some other non-playoff team.  It's a PG-oriented league now and Rondo still has excellent passing skills.

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572

BWAHAHAHAH.

I see Rondo as having played well enough this season to get a starting job at 10-12M at either of those teams or some other non-playoff team.  It's a PG-oriented league now and Rondo still has excellent passing skills.
Yeah but ball pounders that can't shoot don't have that value.  Obviously you can't all be a Curry, Paul, Westbrook, etc. type player, but most of the younger PG's are either good shooters or excellent in the flow type players (or both), Rondo is neither of those.  Rondo is really only a clear upgrade (or a team without a young guy) for NY, BKN, Phi, Mil, and of course Sac.  Of those 5, Philly won't be interested at all, and the Bucks probably aren't interested (Rondo is a terrible fit on that team and doesn't fit in the age of the core group) which leaves a return to Sacramento or one of the NY teams.  I don't see him fitting on the Knicks since they have such a ball dominant wing in Anthony.  Hence, I see him returning to Sacramento or going to Brooklyn.  Now if Conley leaves and Memphis can otherwise rebuild, then perhaps him going there might make sense, but Rondo isn't going to be signed with Conley and Teague available, they have to go first.

Rondo just isn't going to have a big market so even in the increased cap space world that is this summer, he isn't going to get a big contract.  His game just isn't suited to the modern NBA and he just isn't a good enough shooter.

Hence my comment that he returns to Sacramento or signs in Brooklyn (after BKN strikes out with Conley and Teague of course) and doesn't get this massive contract.  If Brooklyn signs Conley or Teague and Sacramento trades Cousins, then Rondo is almost definitely going to be a back-up PG somewhere and he will be making back-up PG money.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2016, 09:20:03 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I would not be made if this happpend~

Rondo for 15 Team option for 17 the next and 19 Player option the third...

Hopefully JJ and Jae work on their outside shot!   

Rondo/IT  #second round picks to fill out the roster....
Bradley/Smart
JJ/Turner
Jae/Mikey
Cuz/KO     

Send Amir/Hunter/Young/(Terry) Terry probably being the best prospect.

#2 or what ever that lands

And give then the right to swap with us in 2017 (which includes the nets pick)

We might be able to do a sign and trade with sulley if they want him and work the deal so we get a trade exception....

Then sign Rondo.   And hopefully another FA... maybe some PF shooter that can be like a 3 D but also rebound...

Come to think of it.... I rather keep our squad.   Let sulley walk, or if he signs for 28 over 4 I'd be cool.  Team option on the 4th. 

Get the number 2 Pick.   (one of those PF studs)

And have that one Center that played for Milwaukee but smoked to much weed play for us..

You're not bumping IT back down to bench after the year he had. His offense can be a game changer in an instant. And would be better if there were a couple more guys on the floor to spread it out so he could work easier.

And while he gets abused on defense some times, at least he puts effort in it, unlike Rondo who has said he hasn't played D in years.