Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) vs Sixers (0-0) Utah SL Game 1  (Read 50894 times)

Re: Celtics (0-0) vs Sixers (0-0) Utah SL Game 1
« Reply #585 on: July 05, 2016, 01:32:50 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Going to take patience with Brown. Not sure he is even a rotation player this season.
He probably won't deserve but he needs some minutes to develop.

Wait a minute, I thought that minutes are earned and not given on this team ;).

« Reply #586 on: July 05, 2016, 01:38:48 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Jackson looks really good. He's going to be pushing Rozier for that roster spot.

No way, Rozier is going to be a rotation player this year and I think he deserves it. Jackson looks good, but Rozier looks great.

It will depend where they play him....not really confident he is a legit pg

He was never advertised as one.

Rozier is a combo guard, with a skill set leaning more towards a SG then a PG. He can play PG in stretches, but he's not a natural PG.

He's basically a longer, more athletic Jamal Murray.

« Reply #587 on: July 05, 2016, 01:52:31 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
I think Brown is going to be a very special player within a few years. They couldn't stop him at all today so everyone just fouled him (knowing that they wouldn't foul out in summer league). He looked very nervous, which hasn't been helped by the fact that the pick was poorly received, but he seemed to calm down in the second half and played a bit more aggressive. He has all the tools and his shooting stroke looked good even though they weren't falling tonight.

I was glad to see though that instead of chucking when the shots weren't dropping that he just kept taking it in and getting to the line.

« Reply #588 on: July 05, 2016, 01:53:24 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Going to take patience with Brown. Not sure he is even a rotation player this season.

They are and he'll earn them.

Minutes are earned in part by making the right decision and being in the right place, not necessarily making every shot.  There's a point where making shots matters, but it's more about execution than results for the young guys.  Brown seems like the type of player to earn minutes that way.  If the shots go in, he'll get more.  If he misses defensive rotations and makes the wrong play on offense, he'll get fewer.

James Young didn't get benched all the time because he couldn't make shots.  He wasn't taking many to begin with.  He got benched because he rarely knew where to be on defense, and that affects every possession, whereas his poor shooting affected 1 in 10 possessions.

« Reply #589 on: July 05, 2016, 07:31:27 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 983
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Brown, Bentil and Jackson are raw, for sure, but that should be expected for rookies.  Also, they are playing with borderline NBA players, D-leaguers and walk-ons which doesn't help their games.  My big takeaway is that these 3 guys are going to be legit NBA players and have NBA-ready bodies.  I would not put a timeline on that as one SL game is not enough to say when.

Really hope Bentil and Jackson make the team.

« Reply #590 on: July 05, 2016, 07:37:07 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105

Sully didn't earn anything.

They are and he'll earn them.

Minutes are earned in part by making the right decision and being in the right place, not necessarily making every shot.  There's a point where making shots matters, but it's more about execution than results for the young guys.  Brown seems like the type of player to earn minutes that way.  If the shots go in, he'll get more.  If he misses defensive rotations and makes the wrong play on offense, he'll get fewer.

James Young didn't get benched all the time because he couldn't make shots.  He wasn't taking many to begin with.  He got benched because he rarely knew where to be on defense, and that affects every possession, whereas his poor shooting affected 1 in 10 possessions.

« Reply #591 on: July 05, 2016, 09:08:56 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
saw the game - tape delayed. Takeaways from best to worst:
- Rozier looks like he's taken his game to the next level.  granted it's only one summer league game but we might have our ball handling backup with Turner gone.
- Hunter's shot looked better.  still needs work on D but his shot is much better.  might be a contributor in short minutes this year.
- Brown looks like a work in progress.  very athletic and aggressive to the basket but needs to develop a better court sense as well as improve his shot.  Kid has potential
- Yabu needs another year or two abroad before he'll be ready to join the team.  has skills but needs more work.
- Jackson looks like a real find.  I think most of his time will be in Maine but this kid looks like he has game.
- Bentil needs work.  definitely not the second coming of Sully or Bass yet but didn't look like a lost cause.
- Young.  well, his offense looked better and he looked more aggressive.  as a third year player, regardless of age, I had hoped to see more development on both sides of the ball.
- Miller has no shot at the roster but he certainly put in an effort.

Anyone know why Mickey didn't play?  was hoping to see him get some time.
on a side note, Simmons impressed in terms of all around game.  said he reminded me of Magic in college.  I don't think he's at that level but he still reminds me of him.
Pretty much sums up my impressions, although I thought more highly of Brown. He is a good foul shooter. 17 attempts indicates guys can't guard him. I bet Danny liked what he saw from him. Sure wish they could get Zicic here. We could use his length.
There definitely seemed to be a number of calls that Brown should have gotten but didn't.  I like his aggressiveness but I'm hoping to see him develop some court sense where he can pass to an open man if he's driving into a clogged lane.

I was hoping Zizic would be here to play so we could see him in action.  hoping beyond hope that he and Yabu can provide what Sully and Zeller provided (and maybe more) within a couple of years.  Really could use some big man depth this year.  we have a glut of players that occupy the 1-3 spots on the floor.

« Reply #592 on: July 05, 2016, 09:09:55 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Anyone know why Mickey didn't play?  was hoping to see him get some time.
on a side note, Simmons impressed in terms of all around game.  said he reminded me of Magic in college.  I don't think he's at that level but he still reminds me of him.
Mickey injured his shoulder before the game and has been sent back to Boston.

Supposedly he is expected to return in time for some Vegas action, pending additional medical evaluation.
fingers crossed.  he supposedly upped his game in Maine and was expected to look like a contributor this summer.

« Reply #593 on: July 05, 2016, 09:30:03 AM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
Looks Brown had a great game attacking the rim. Was probably told to be aggressive and did just that.

How was Brown's defense last night?
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #594 on: July 05, 2016, 01:42:58 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 960
I think Simmons faked the cramps to take notice of the fact that he got blocked. 

As the great Jason Melon once said, it's probably menstrual.

Mike

« Reply #595 on: July 05, 2016, 01:55:05 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I think Simmons faked the cramps to take notice of the fact that he got blocked. 

As the great Jason Melon once said, it's probably menstrual.

Mike

TP for the Back to School reference.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.