Author Topic: Free agents to think about in summer of 2016  (Read 6851 times)

Re: Free agents to think about in summer of 2016
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2015, 10:34:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
The problem with Whiteside is the fact that he NEVER passes. I read an article (on BleacherReport I believe) that used GIFs to illustrate his lack of passing. I couldn't find it, but I did find this: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/3tckic/hassan_whiteside_had_more_blocks_last_night_10/

Whiteside has 9 career assists! I looked it up, and it's true. In 78 games over 4 years he has only 9 assists, in garbage time or actual game action. That would absolutely kill the good Celtics ball movement, and it would give me hesitation to sign him if I was Danny, despite everything else that he does well.
He also shoots almost 63% and actually has a respectable enough turnover rate for a big man.  You know meaning it is actually the better move for him to shoot than pass.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2015, 10:48:08 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
The problem with Whiteside is the fact that he NEVER passes. I read an article (on BleacherReport I believe) that used GIFs to illustrate his lack of passing. I couldn't find it, but I did find this: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/3tckic/hassan_whiteside_had_more_blocks_last_night_10/

Whiteside has 9 career assists! I looked it up, and it's true. In 78 games over 4 years he has only 9 assists, in garbage time or actual game action. That would absolutely kill the good Celtics ball movement, and it would give me hesitation to sign him if I was Danny, despite everything else that he does well.
He also shoots almost 63% and actually has a respectable enough turnover rate for a big man.  You know meaning it is actually the better move for him to shoot than pass.

Sure, but the Celtics offense is more than just high pick-and-rolls and post-ups. Saying that Whiteside has a good assist-turnover rate isn't very reassuring- it just means that he attempts to pass almost as rarely as he gets assists, which is prodigiously rarely. The Celts have a luxury of good-passing bigs, and I think Whiteside would compromise much more than he contributed, at least offensively.

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2015, 10:51:06 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3037
I'd be intrigued by Barnes + Whiteside. That's two players in their prime who play both ends of the court. Best shot blocker in the league added to a strong on-the-ball defense. Having an elite shot blocker behind Smart, Bradley and Crowder would allow them to apply even more pressure. What a nightmare for opposing scorers, to be pressed by Smart or Bradley, switched off to Crowder or Barnes, and if you beat your man you have to score over Whiteside?

Our rotation a year+ out could be something like this, with all of those 2nd tier guys getting some starts especially early on. Barnes has also been a very effective stretch 4, so starting another guard and moving him there could be an interesting wrinkle.

Smart / Barnes / Ingram (BKN pick #3?) / Sully / Whiteside
Thomas / Bradley / Crowder / KO
Rozier / Young / Hunter

Barnes + Ingram + Sully + Whiteside would be a lot of scoring punch (all 15-20 ppg ability) while Smart and Whiteside are both All-Defense level at the 1 and 5 spots, and Barnes + Ingram give a ton of length, and Sully focuses on team defense with Whiteside guarding the rim.

We'd still have all of our chips, too. Obviously that core looks amazing with a Durant etc coming to town, but that's a given.

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2015, 06:18:09 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
UFA Hassan Whiteside center Miami - The Heat's core is aging, he may want to partner up with a young group of guys on the up swing.  He will get the max where ever he goes.  I know he has had some maturity issues, but is he coming around?  Worth making a pitch to?

UFA Nicolas Batum SG/SF Hornets listed at 6-8 200 lbs - same thing may want to move from MJ's house of cards to a more well run competitive team.

RFA Evan Fournier Orlando - probably a long shot, Magic has plenty of $ to match any offers.

Does Hassan scare you off?     What do you think about Nick's game?

Hassan: yes,but not for a max. Also, I think the chances are he stays in Miami.

Batum: I'd like an SF that can shoot 3s. Batum's career average is 36%, he has the right age (27yo), it certainly would not hurt to have him, but it all depends on the price.

Fournier: pass.

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2015, 09:36:35 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Harrison Barnes is someone Danny Ainge has always loved.
I'd prefer Barnes over Batum too as a long term piece.

Sure, but one guy's a RFA and ones a UFA, which is night and day in the NBA.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2015, 11:42:14 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Harrison Barnes is someone Danny Ainge has always loved.
I'd prefer Barnes over Batum too as a long term piece.

Sure, but one guy's a RFA and ones a UFA, which is night and day in the NBA.

I'd go with Batum over H.Barnes. Batum is still young enough. He is more of an all-round player with his superior ball-handling, passing and rebounding than H.Barnes.