Author Topic: Chad Ford 3.0  (Read 5056 times)

Re: Chad Ford 3.0
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 09:21:01 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
If the a Brooklyn pick stays in the 3-6 range and Simmons and ai gram are gone, I want Poetlt. He is for me, easily, te third best player in this draft. Let others take the chance on Bender and Skal. Don't think either will amount to much but I think Poetlt has a long and very productive(like All-Star game productive) career ahead of him.

I like Poeltl as well.I worry that in the modern NBA he's going to need serious work to become a Pau Gasol stretch type of big man.
He's a pretty hard worker and has excellent footwork.
My biggest concern with him is how he'll fare against NBA size, length and strength.
He's beating up on undersized centers in the Pac 12 but how will he do vs NBA 7 footers that weigh 30-40 pounds more on a nightly basis?

His free throw shooting has improved heaps which is a good sign too.
Right now I'd take him if we considered trading down from say pick #5 and taking him with #7 or #8 etc.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 09:22:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Poeltl = a young Bogut?

Only seen highlights (last year) but that was he reminded me of. The way he moved. The size. The all-round game (project as a plus defender, offensive player and rebounder). Both guys University of Utah and made similar jumps from freshman to sophomore years.

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 10:33:05 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Saw Poeltl in person last weekend, where he was absolutely dominated by Wichita State.

Big time project with limited offensive skills, struggles with hand issues and to get his shot, not quick enough to defend slightly smaller people. Not particularly athletic.

A top 6 pick needs to be used more effectively than on him.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 10:50:46 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If the a Brooklyn pick stays in the 3-6 range and Simmons and ai gram are gone, I want Poetlt. He is for me, easily, te third best player in this draft. Let others take the chance on Bender and Skal. Don't think either will amount to much but I think Poetlt has a long and very productive(like All-Star game productive) career ahead of him.

I like Poetlt last year and I like him even more this year seeing him dominate his competition.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 11:06:01 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Shaping up to be a soft, 2 deep draft. Hopefully an undersized combo guard with little upside rises for DA to splurge on.

Someone who's like Avery Bradley?

Sarcasm? Smart, Rozier. Could use another, I think.

You don't know where Smart and Rozier could end up as especially Smart.

You're right about that... he could end up developing some offense. Im not oprimistic at yhis early stage, but it's possible. But if you're suggesting we need another player like that crop, then you're all around wrong.

Danny will draft the best available player whether he's a point guard or a small forward or any other position.

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 10:05:42 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

24. Zhou Qi

Previous rank: No. 21
China
Center

Zhou is our fifth international prospect. It's his elite size and versatile skill set that have NBA teams intrigued.

He's averaging 18.8 PPG, 10.2 RPG and 4.2 BPG while shooting 68 percent from the floor for Xinjiang this season. He's even 4-for-6 from 3 this season. He just needs to add a lot of strength to handle the rigors of the paint in the NBA.

I do not understand how Qi is ranked so low. He's 7'2 with a 7'6.5 wingspan and a 9'6.5 reach, and his numbers are awesome (4.2 blocks per game! 19 PPG on 68%!). He is a very good midrange shooter, and he even has a post-up game. It's unclear what makes him a significantly worse prospect than Porzingis, who is less skinny with better range on his shot. Zi has a better skill level and much better stats.

Perhaps something to do with being Chinese.
The Chinese league is considered to be much weaker than the Euro leagues.  Stephon Marbury went over there at age 32 and dominated.  I think Porzingis is clearly the better prospect.  A better comparison would be Skal and Qi.  They both have questions about their weight, strength and durability.  The difference is Skal is looked at a possibly being a stretch PF whereas Qi is definitely a C.  At this point, its hard to imagine Qi physically dealing with NBA centers like Cousins and Drummond.   

It's a fair point about competition, but Qi's stats in his 18-19y.o. season compare favorably to the stats that Yao Ming was putting up at the same age.

Ming 17-18 y.o.: 10 pts, 61.5 FG%, 8 rebs, ? blocks, 21 games
Ming 18-19 y.o.: 21 pts, 58.5 FG%, 13 rebs, ? blocks, 12 games
Ming 19-20 y.o.: 21 pts, 58.4 FG%, 15 rebs, ? blocks, 33 games

He went #1 overall in '02 because of:
Ming 21-22 y.o.: 32 pts, 72.1 FG%, 19 rebs, 4.5 blocks

so I'm not advocating that Qi is half the prospect that Yao Ming was, it's just to say that we should be impressed by the stats he's putting up in the CBA.

I agree though that Skal might be a stronger comparison than Porzi. I can see favoring Skal slightly, but it would be reasonable to favor Qi, and it's comical to have Skal #4 and Qi #24.

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 10:18:43 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Poeltl = a young Bogut?

Only seen highlights (last year) but that was he reminded me of. The way he moved. The size. The all-round game (project as a plus defender, offensive player and rebounder). Both guys University of Utah and made similar jumps from freshman to sophomore years.

I'd say closer to Gasol actually (Marc). Footwork and agility/hands make him a really drool worthy big man. Good mobility but with even more length. Bogut was a much more offensive player in college though so I know what you mean.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.