Author Topic: Take a risk and draft Levert at 13-15?  (Read 2216 times)

Take a risk and draft Levert at 13-15?
« on: March 25, 2015, 11:13:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This guy is probably one of the best one on one players in the whole 2015 draft. Clutch player with unlimited range.   Very good ball handling skills , athletic and quick. Very good off the ball , very quick running around screens with the ability to catch and shoot in one motion (similar to Ray Allen). At 6'7 will be able to shoot over many sgs in the nba . 

The issue is some nagging injuries he had to deal with. He got surgery on his foot a few months ago and should be ready for training camp. Needs to strengthen up also. If he declares and the Celtics can't move up, should we reach a little and take a risk on this guy?    Can't see him falling into the mid 20's (unless there are health issues concern/redflags).

We got IT as the only guy that can create their shots out of thin air.  Levert could do the same.  Compared to Jamal Crawford with a better shooting touch at the same age.  Yay or nay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP-ClxaKyIg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7oMGxzthVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwexJ857HjY

Re: Take a risk and draft Levert at 13-15?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 11:19:39 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I read some Michigan guys stating that LeVert is coming back to college next year. Don't know if that's true.

I think we have a Michigan fan here, maybe he know anything about it.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 11:25:28 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I like Levert a lot. 15 may be a reach for him but you cant really tell yet. you really have to get closer to the draft before you can call him that because I think the 15-30 group is very fluid. Ideally we could get him with the Clips pick, but he could go up the board.

I also heard he was coming back, and if healthy he could be dominant and vault himself into the lottery.

FWIW Draft Express has him at 22 and Draft.net has him at 21

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 11:35:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like Levert a lot. 15 may be a reach for him but you cant really tell yet. you really have to get closer to the draft before you can call him that because I think the 15-30 group is very fluid. Ideally we could get him with the Clips pick, but he could go up the board.

I also heard he was coming back, and if healthy he could be dominant and vault himself into the lottery.

We will see what he does. If he gets reinjured somehow (same area as now)  as a junior he wont drafted in the 1st round. He should declare for 2015 and pull a Noel, Embiid.

This isnt a very deep draft

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 11:39:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we need a wing be a SG or SF preferably the latter at some point.  Crowder plays hard but I hate when he takes the first shot in a possession without ball movement.   He should never be the first option unless the clock in running out.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 11:41:17 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Levert's fragility concerns me. The potential reward doesn't make the big risk worth it to me.

If you really want to swing for the fences, I'd go for Upshaw. Huge risk, but huge potential reward.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 11:42:51 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Levert's fragility concerns me. The potential reward doesn't make the big risk worth it to me.

If you really want to swing for the fences, I'd go for Upshaw. Huge risk, but huge potential reward.
I think Upshaw can wait untill round 2

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 11:44:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
As the Michigan fan who first posted about Levert on this board before his sophomore year started, allow me to share my thoughts:

1) The general feeling amongst those in the know with Michigan basketball is that Levert will be staying for his senior year.  However, it is not a done deal, and the Michigan coaches have been recruiting (although not offering scholarships to) some extra players in case he does leave.

2) His foot seems like a real issue.  He had surgery last summer, had to stay off it for a couple of months, and then broke it again in January. I've seen some misinformation around here that he'd been playing injured all year -- this is not the case.  He was injured, healed, and was reinjured on a specific play.

3) I very much like Levert.  He's one of those players who does a lot of things to help a team win games.  I would be very surprised if he ever became a star.  But he can give you minutes at the wing or the point, and has the length and agility to defend all three positions, but currently does not have the technique.  Really, he's got a lot of Evan Turner in him.  His upside might be higher than where Evan Turner currently is, but I think that's what he projects to.  That's a useful NBA player -- I question if you'd pick that at 15 or 16, but he's useful.  There's a chance he turns into Paul George, but there's a bigger chance he has serious foot problems that keep him down.  If there were no injury concerns, yes, you take Evan Turner with Paul George upside at 15, or even 12.

He's a great kid tho.  Terrific work ethic who's very coachable.  If he doesn't pan out, it will be because of injury and not effort. 

And since i'm talking about Michigan, allow me to throw out two other names to watch for in coming drafts.  The first is Zak Irvin.  At the beginning of the year, Irvin was talked about as a potential 1st rounder this year, but he quickly fell off the draft boards as his game stagnated in the beginning of the year, as he was largely a spot up shooter who didn't contribute any other way in the box score.  However, after Levert and Derrick Walton (Michigan's starting point guard) went down within a week of each other, Irvin took on a lot more responsibility, and increased his scoring, efficiency, rebounds, and assists.  Rather than taking only spot-up shots, he started to create off the dribble for both himself and teammates.  If he plays like he did the last 10-15 games all of next year, he will be a first-rounder.

The second name is Aubrey Dawkins, son of Johnny Dawkins.  His scoring exploded over the same period as Irvin's game began to flourish.  He was lightly recruited out of high school, but is a lights-out shooter, and was good for 1-2 thunderous dunks a game.  Definitely prone to some mistakes still, but he has definite NBA potential after probably his junior year, but maybe after his sophomore year.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 11:48:42 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 563
This guy is probably one of the best one on one players in the whole 2015 draft. Clutch player with unlimited range.   Very good ball handling skills , athletic and quick. Very good off the ball , very quick running around screens with the ability to catch and shoot in one motion (similar to Ray Allen). At 6'7 will be able to shoot over many sgs in the nba . 

The issue is some nagging injuries he had to deal with. He got surgery on his foot a few months ago and should be ready for training camp. Needs to strengthen up also. If he declares and the Celtics can't move up, should we reach a little and take a risk on this guy?    Can't see him falling into the mid 20's (unless there are health issues concern/redflags).

We got IT as the only guy that can create their shots out of thin air.  Levert could do the same.  Compared to Jamal Crawford with a better shooting touch at the same age.  Yay or nay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP-ClxaKyIg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7oMGxzthVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwexJ857HjY

Even before his latest injury, LeVert was only projected as a late lottery pick.  I would not use our 1st pick on him now. 

You seem to post different draft suggestions every week.  Last week, you were pushing Harrell and RHJ.  Have you fallen of their bandwagon?  Who do you really want to draft? 

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 12:28:15 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

We will see what he does. If he gets reinjured somehow (same area as now)  as a junior he wont drafted in the 1st round. He should declare for 2015 and pull a Noel, Embiid.

This isnt a very deep draft

Not quite sure what you're saying here.  He already is a junior....

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 02:15:52 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 961

I think Upshaw can wait untill round 2

I wouldn't be unhappy with either Upshaw or Levert for that Clippers pick.  #26 pick, which I think is where it stands now, is a tough one.  Might as well swing for the fences.

I don't disagree that Upshaw could be around in the 2nd round, but if Ainge* thinks one of them has a shot, I wouldn't risk waiting.  Given the number of draft picks we have coming up, we can afford to take some chances.

Mike

*I'm not sure about trusting Ainge's judgment, though.  I mean, he may be one of the best GMs in the league, but I've got YouTube, a keyboard and nothing better to do.