Author Topic: C's "fascinated" by Bruno Caboclo  (Read 2761 times)

C's "fascinated" by Bruno Caboclo
« on: August 02, 2014, 06:10:12 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Found this interesting. Perhaps this is why it was reported that the C's were trying to land a 2nd rd pick.  Maybe they indeed would have if Caboclo, who was projected to go in the 2nd round, was there.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/08/01/bruno-caboclo-toronto-raptors-masai-ujiri

As the draft approached, Toronto was sold on Caboclo. But where would they take him? The Raptors had two picks in the top 40, No. 20 and No. 37. They were high on Syracuse (and Canadian) point guard Tyler Ennis, according to multiple sources, and were hoping he slipped to No. 20. When Phoenix snapped up Ennis at No. 18, Toronto had a choice: Take someone else and roll the dice that Caboclo would be there in the second round or take him earlier than anyone anticipated.

Ujiri weighed several factors. First, he had a growing suspicion that someone was going to make a run at Caboclo early in the second round. Dallas, which picked 34th, was interested. Boston, which did not have a pick in the second round, was fascinated with Caboclo, too.

Re: C's "fascinated" by Bruno Caboclo
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 06:20:18 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Celtics fans all over woulda been mad Danny passed on Cleananthony Early and Glenn Robinson the 3rd for Bruno.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 06:27:45 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
That was about the craziest first round pick I have ever seen. Unless he proves himself as the next KD, no thanks.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 06:31:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just because you are fascinated by a player doesn't mean you draft him. Case in point, Fab Melo.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 06:53:03 PM »

fitzhickey

Everyone is fascinated by Caboclo

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 06:57:25 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Just because you are fascinated by a player doesn't mean you draft him. Case in point, Fab Melo.

Not sure what you mean. However, the C's liked Melo's upside and he was a miss. I'd rather they swing for the fences when Ainge sees upside in a player, rather than a low upside player that he doesn't see much in. Hindsight is 20/20, but a legit 7 footer, with upside, taken in that point of the draft isn't really out of the norm. 

As for Bruno, I'm not saying they would've taken him over Young, as Young was really high on the C's board. However, if you're able to land a 2nd rd pick for cash, which was rumored, why not draft a player like Caboclo, that both intrigues with his potential and that you could stash overseas? That's the epitome of a low risk/high reward pick that doesn't even take up a roster spot.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:06:36 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 10:09:04 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
Celtics were fascinated by Royce White and gave him a draft promise. same thing with JR Giddens. JR is a journeyman for international teams, and I think Royce White just sits at home all day posting obscure quotes on twitter.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 10:45:50 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Celtics were fascinated by Royce White and gave him a draft promise. same thing with JR Giddens. JR is a journeyman for international teams, and I think Royce White just sits at home all day posting obscure quotes on twitter.

I don't follow. Are you saying that Ainge sometimes misses? If so, I agree, but I trust him and his track record. Or are you saying that Bruno is a bust? He looked pretty good in Summer League and looks a lot further along than that "2 yrs away from being 2 yrs away" comment. 

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 10:53:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm fascinated by Caboclo. Great back story, classic 'Coming To America' overtures, absurd upside and almost the epitome of the underdog to root for. The kid cried because he was so mad his team was losing and he got dunked on. Easily the most interesting. Story from the draft for me. The exact opposite of Dario Saric's prima Donna schtick or Jusef Nurkic's goofy likability. Caboclo is a fish out of water plucked out of relative obscurity and thrust into the insanities of the NBA world, and he's got a ceiling about as high as you can imagine.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 04:54:34 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
He did well in summer league. Take it with a grain of salt, but its much better than playing poorly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HQ6mDCdfts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iakh1iDF8G8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R37EtpiXxgw