Author Topic: Could Embiid and Rondo be enough for Melo?  (Read 1385 times)

Could Embiid and Rondo be enough for Melo?
« on: June 20, 2014, 08:58:43 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Just a thought but a Rondo -Embiid -Sulinger trio looks pretty good to go to... Celts have the cap room and can make more.. Rondo loves Melo vice versa.. plus with Embiid the Celtics might only have to move up 2 spots to land him.. cost another first instead of giving up the farm for Love

Re: Could Embiid and Rondo be enough for Melo?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:07:53 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Okay guys, lets get this on the record.  No rookie nor high draft pick, anytime, anywhere, is a draw for a veteran player who wants to win, and compete for a championship.

Rookies take time to learn the league, get their feet wet, and grow into themselves.  There was a lot of yapping how the number 1 pick could get Lebron back to the Cavs, yes, this was true, if they trade it for a veteran running mate for Lebron.  Lebron wants to win rings, not wait on rookies to become players.

Embiid, Wiggins, Paker, Exum, Smart, Vonleh, Gordon, not a single one of them, not one, is a draw for any veteran player.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 09:10:40 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Star want to play with veterans, not rookies. The attract Melo you need at least two stars already in place. Even with Love, I'm not sure Boston looks like a better location than Houston with Howard, Harden, and Parsons. One advantage Boston and Chicago has is the East is a lot less competitive, though.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 09:16:49 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
No

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 09:25:51 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
With Rondo and Love I'd say if the Celtics were willing Melo would def be attracted.. I was just trying to see what kind of options the Celtics do have if they were to draft Embiid..

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 09:35:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
If Embiid falls to #6 (and thus Boston keeps everything else), the real question for Melo would be, how much does he like Boston and want to play with Rondo?  That I have no idea on because on its face Embiid, Rondo, and everyone else is not a good enough team even with Melo to really compete for a title next year and maybe the year after. 

Now if Boston uses the trade exception to land Asik (as at a minimum a one year stop gap) and uses Green and some future picks to acquire a legit SG (as an example maybe Green, 17 and a future first (or keep whomever was drafted at 17 and just send two future firsts) for Afflalo), then I think you might start putting together a good enough team to attract Melo.  I mean in the east if you have Rondo, Afflalo, Anthony, Sullinger, Asik with Bradley, Bayless, Wallace, Embiid, Bass, Olynyk, and Humphries, you would have a pretty good shot at winning the East (especially depending on what James and company do in Miami).  Boston would also still have plenty of draft picks and the expiring contracts of Bass, J. Anthony, Bogans, etc. to use to acquire some better bench help. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 09:37:46 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Although I think the current Celtics roster with a healthy Rondo is an upgrade over the roster the Knicks had at the end of the year, I think the Bulls, and Rockets both have a far superior team to surround Melo with. In the end I think he chooses the Rockets, because they have the most stars, defense is not emphasized there and Houston's media isn't as overwhelming as New York's.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19