Author Topic: Write it down: 5th worst  (Read 1669 times)

Write it down: 5th worst
« on: April 01, 2014, 08:22:16 AM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
Yes, we are in position to catch Utah (-0.5 games) or Orlando (-2.0 games). However, I don't like the 2 games left with Philly. It's difficult to imagine 1 loss there, let alone 2 losses. On the other hand, the fakers are playing better and we now lead them by 2.5 games. If I'm correct and we end up with the 5th worst record, then we will likely draft 6th, maybe 7th, unless we get a lucky roll and get into the top 3. It's easier to decide what to do with a top 3 pick.

However, who do you select with the 6th or 7th pick? Do you trade it?

CB

Re: Write it down: 5th worst
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 08:56:52 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
agreed with much of your post. thank goodness for tankathon.com.  ;D

as i read how people are evaluating the players in this draft so far, there are clearly the "big three" of wiggins, embiid, and parker. not too far beyond are exum and randle in most mock drafts.

so in most minds the top 5 picks are distinguishable from everyone else. and that the celtics have a good chance at getting one of those top 5.

but what if they drop to 6th or 7th place? clearly a distinct possibility. even then, the celtics will pick up a very good player.

smart seems to be impressing people and will be tough, outstanding pg in the nba i think.

next, my favorite "not a top 5" is vonleh. neither smart nor vonleh are chopped liver. both are talented and i would be happy with either one.

so, while the celtics seem destined for 5th place in the lottery ([dang] you philly!!!) they still have a 29.1% chance of getting a top 3 pick. which is good.

by the way, when do they do the lottery?? i am more than ready for this season to wrap up.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 09:16:44 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1784
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
agreed with much of your post. thank goodness for tankathon.com.  ;D

as i read how people are evaluating the players in this draft so far, there are clearly the "big three" of wiggins, embiid, and parker. not too far beyond are exum and randle in most mock drafts.

so in most minds the top 5 picks are distinguishable from everyone else. and that the celtics have a good chance at getting one of those top 5.

but what if they drop to 6th or 7th place? clearly a distinct possibility. even then, the celtics will pick up a very good player.

smart seems to be impressing people and will be tough, outstanding pg in the nba i think.

next, my favorite "not a top 5" is vonleh. neither smart nor vonleh are chopped liver. both are talented and i would be happy with either one.

so, while the celtics seem destined for 5th place in the lottery ([dang] you philly!!!) they still have a 29.1% chance of getting a top 3 pick. which is good.

by the way, when do they do the lottery?? i am more than ready for this season to wrap up.

The draft lottery isn't until May 20th. It's not so bad, but I am with you - I am ready to move on to next year...

http://www.nba.com/news/important-dates/

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:05:01 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Not top 5 my vote is for Smart.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:24:24 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
It's going to be very close indeed.
I think we may get lucky and somehow peel a top 3 pick...we are due. (at least draft night % wise we are!).

I think if we don't get a top 3 pick then yeah it's gonna be very close between us and the Lakers (If they don't get a top 3 pick).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:40:08 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 10:41:23 AM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
I also believe we are due to catch a lottery break. A top 3 would be an excellent jump start. IMO, this year was the last of the previous dynasty. Next year will be the first year of our new adventure, hopefully with a couple of exciting new players.

So, if Smart's the best available, would you select him as our PG of the future if you could trade Rondo for an excellent, young center (Drummond or Cousins would be awesome, but I doubt Detroit or Sacramento would do it).

I am unsure about Smart, but I would do one of those Rondo trades in a heartbeat if we could nab Exum.

CB