Poll

What's Aaron Gordon's position?

Pf
Sf
Pf but can play a little sf
Sf but can play a little pf

Author Topic: Aaron Gordon...sf or pf?  (Read 8771 times)

Re: Aaron Gordon...sf or pf?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 11:14:55 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
So folks are projecting him to be like Gerald Wallace?

You are the only other person who has made that reference. I can see him playing like an in his prime Gerald Wallace, but with a better attitude.

I think Gordon will begin his career mostly at the 3, and ideally should come off the bench at first as he eases into the expanding of his skills. He is a unique player. I see a lot of Gerald Wallace, Shawn Marion, Kirilenko, and a taller Tony Allen to his game. But he will end up as something different.

I think he will be a fantastic defender in the pros, especially on big 3s. He does so many things well (defense, rebounding, passing, dribbling, high motor, speed, explosiveness, good scoring touch around the basket - although without a post game) and learning to shoot at at least an ok clip from 18 feet could happen over the next couple years.

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
So folks are projecting him to be like Gerald Wallace?

You are the only other person who has made that reference. I can see him playing like an in his prime Gerald Wallace, but with a better attitude.

I think Gordon will begin his career mostly at the 3, and ideally should come off the bench at first as he eases into the expanding of his skills. He is a unique player. I see a lot of Gerald Wallace, Shawn Marion, Kirilenko, and a taller Tony Allen to his game. But he will end up as something different.

I think he will be a fantastic defender in the pros, especially on big 3s. He does so many things well (defense, rebounding, passing, dribbling, high motor, speed, explosiveness, good scoring touch around the basket - although without a post game) and learning to shoot at at least an ok clip from 18 feet could happen over the next couple years.

That's also a good comparison I think.  The bummer about Gerald Wallace on the C's now and my dislike for him is I am a huge fan of him over his career.  He wasted away on bad teams for a long time when he could have been a major player on a great team.

My comparison for Gordon was Shawn Marion and I think Marion and Wallace have their similarities.  Marion had the ability to play on some good teams and was awesome on the Suns and for the Mavs.

I like that kind of glue guy.  Maybe they can't space the floor but they bring a lot to the table and you can, hopefully, get shooting at other positions, which is something the Suns and Mavs had with their bigs.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:45:27 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 12:20:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Marion is or at peak was a blur out there. Gordon is not as quick.  Gordon is pretty strong for his age and as a sf though.

Ak is prob one of the better comparisons for him.

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 12:47:09 PM »

Offline Sully7

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I agree with the Marion comparison….Gordon is the best athlete in this class…very fast, explosive hops, great second jump, and strong motor.  He is also the youngest player of the entire group.

I'm not wanting the C's to draft this guy but if they do he has plenty of upside.

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 01:54:51 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I do see a lot of in his prime Gerald in his game. We're forced to watch Gerald now and I don't think people understand just how good he was. Athletic, quick, could give you minutes at both forward spots (primarily at 3 though), and just played all heart every second he was on the court. I think that could be Gordon - just not as good offensively for the time being. I wouldn't mind drafting him and playing him at the 3 - his defense is NBA ready IMO. The goal moving forward would be to get an SG that can shoot at a high clip.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 02:13:35 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
He reminds me a lot of AK47. Very versatile player, but lacks a true position.

Yes or Marion, he could be great as Kevin loves version of Marion. The t-wolves won't have to time to develop him before love bolts but 3 yrs from now that good be a nice combo
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 01:32:18 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Gordon has a long way to go to have Marion's offensive game.  I remember Marion at UNLV and he was a pretty talented offensive player.  Besides the funky looking shot, which has still gone in from three at a high rate for more than a few seasons in his career, he had a great floater and a very good post game of turnaround jumpers and jump hooks.  Marion has averaged 20 points and been an all-star without Nash.  Gordon would have to massively improve his offensive arsenal to even average 10 points.

I think Marion was a superior athlete.  Maybe in terms of overall leaping ability they're similar but Marion was quicker and had much better body control.  Marion's body control really showed on his floaters when he looked light and compact.  Gordon attempting the same shots looks much more awkward, gets less lift to boot and doesn't even make them much of the time.  His shooting percentage from 3 feet and out is horrible. 

I think he's capable of being a good defender at small forward but it's impossible to shut down any of the top small forwards.  The guy still has to be capable of contributing offensively and also not hurt offensive spacing.  This has been the trouble with Kidd-Gilchrist.