Author Topic: Jabari Parker might stay in school?  (Read 2873 times)

Jabari Parker might stay in school?
« on: January 20, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Sam Smith claims:

And the growing view among NBA executives seems to be Jabari Parker will not leave Duke this year. Chicagoan Jahlil Okafor, a Parker friend and big man, is going to Duke next season. Parker is a bright young man with a strong family and the feeling is he understands both the importance of education and feels he owes Duke and the chance to have a great Duke team, which more than likely is the next two seasons. Plus, Parker has seen what staying in school has done for other greats compared with the tough starts for even stars like Kobe Bryant

I believe that multiple NBA executives believe this.  Whether I believe they are accurate is a different matter.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Jabari Parker might stay in school?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
That's fine. We can get Embiid this year and Parker next year.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 07:31:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Embiid is currently projected to go #1. Just in case you wondered.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 07:32:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I believe that multiple NBA executives believe this.
I believe that you believe that multiple NBA executives believe this.

I also believe that "rebuilding through the draft" is far from a foolproof method, but a surefire recipe for a lot of frustration.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 07:34:41 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Embiid is currently projected to go #1. Just in case you wondered.

The draft lottery already took place? I must have missed it. Thanks for filling me in.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:55:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Skeptical.  Too much risk involved in returning to school for a year.  It's not as if staying in school would give them a chance to go any higher in the draft.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 09:59:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

The draft lottery already took place? I must have missed it. Thanks for filling me in.
I must have forgotten we're guaranteed the top selection this year. Moving along, then.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 10:41:52 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I believe that multiple NBA executives believe this.
I believe that you believe that multiple NBA executives believe this.

I also believe that "rebuilding through the draft" is far from a foolproof method, but a surefire recipe for a lot of frustration.

I'm not sure there's any rebuilding process that ain't a recipe for frustration.
They all require serious luck, patience and planning.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 10:45:22 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Okafor has comitted to Kentucky next year so I can see it from Jabari's standpoint...Hope he doesnt but who knows  :(

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 10:52:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I bet he will stay one more year. Parker and Embiid coming out early are the dreams and fantasies of everyone else but them probably

They know they are good and want to improve further. They want to enjoy the college experience also.

From what i read, most want to experience at least 2 years of college , unless 1) They are struggling academically 2) Need the money to help out Family (like Steven Adams) 3) Already accomplished everything possible (like Melo or Anthony Davis leading their teams to a championship win)

i bet though Wiggins is coming out for the 2014 draft. He is prob tired of all the pressure and wants to go pro. Randle, Smart, Exum also likely. 

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 11:03:02 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I expect the projected #1 to change again.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 12:00:32 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I bet he will stay one more year. Parker and Embiid coming out early are the dreams and fantasies of everyone else but them probably

They know they are good and want to improve further. They want to enjoy the college experience also.

From what i read, most want to experience at least 2 years of college , unless 1) They are struggling academically 2) Need the money to help out Family (like Steven Adams) 3) Already accomplished everything possible (like Melo or Anthony Davis leading their teams to a championship win)

i bet though Wiggins is coming out for the 2014 draft. He is prob tired of all the pressure and wants to go pro. Randle, Smart, Exum also likely.

Because if you've already won a national championship, clearly you've already enjoyed your school experience to the fullest.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 02:26:27 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Skeptical.  Too much risk involved in returning to school for a year.  It's not as if staying in school would give them a chance to go any higher in the draft.

I find plausible the reports that Parker, Okafor, and Tyus Jones (the latter two the #1 and #4 recruits in ESPN's ranking) want to more or less form a super-team, the collegiate analogue to the Miami Heat.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference