Author Topic: Keep Avery off the ball  (Read 1491 times)

Keep Avery off the ball
« on: November 10, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I don't think it's a coincidence that this team started winning some games the moment they made a PG change. I hope this latest Avery at PG experiment was the last. Crawford has shown that he can handle the rock well enough to setup the offense, he's the perfect combo guard and main backup pg when Rondo returns. The guard rotation is set when that happens as far as I'm concerned. Dumping Lee for an expiring without giving up anything would be a great move.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:19:59 AM by JSD »

Re: Keep Avery off the ball
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Avery's offense has just looked way better since he switch too.  It's not that he is taking totally different shots, he just makes them more off the catch and just looks more comfortable.

He had a great game last night.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 11:10:31 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Avery's offense has just looked way better since he switch too.  It's not that he is taking totally different shots, he just makes them more off the catch and just looks more comfortable.

He had a great game last night.

Exactly. I love Avery's game on offense, moving without the ball.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 11:17:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
AB is a horrible PG but he does ok off the ball.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 12:01:44 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I agree, but I do want to note that Crawford, while a better ball handler, isn't exactly a good pg either. Better at the job yes, but he is so wild, that sometimes I think he rather stuff his stat sheet up with points than assist unless he is getting double teamed or have no choice

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 12:03:50 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Avery plays sooo much better off the ball. He's an awful point guard.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 01:11:58 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I agree, but I do want to note that Crawford, while a better ball handler, isn't exactly a good pg either. Better at the job yes, but he is so wild, that sometimes I think he rather stuff his stat sheet up with points than assist unless he is getting double teamed or have no choice

Yes Crawford isn't perfect but he's definitely exceeded everyone's expectations which is all you can ask for. Not only is he a better PG than Avery, he allows everyone else to fall into a role more suitable to their skills. Jeff is able to move the 3 instead of the 2, pressy gets more burn and our bigs are getting the ball in places where they can do something.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 01:17:22 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826

I can live with a not so good PG who's averaging 10.6 points per game on 49% shooting, 42% from 3pt, and just turning the ball over 1.4 times a game on 23 minutes of play per.

And for what it's worth, I don't put too  much value on PER stats, but he currently has 20.93 PER... which puts him at 14th place among all guards in the league, give or take.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 01:21:55 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think a lot of what irks people about Crawford's game is that he looks like the hero of QWOP while he's playing.

QWOP:
http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.