Author Topic: More training camp invitees: Chris Babb and Damen Bell-Holter  (Read 4616 times)

More training camp invitees: Chris Babb and Damen Bell-Holter
« on: September 01, 2013, 04:26:39 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Chris Forsberg, ESPN, writes that Chris Babb (Iowa State) and Damen Bell-Holter (Oral Roberts) have been invited to the Celtics training camp.

I don't know either of these guys...

Re: More training camp invitees: Chris Babb and Damen Bell-Holter
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 05:01:39 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
The Lure of the NBA is great. Let's just assume these guys are NOT making any NBA team especially the Celtics.

So what's the upside of skipping a European Pro salary (let's assume the best these two could do at this point is end up in the D-league)

According to ESPN's Marc Stein, there are three basic levels of D-League player salaries: $25,000, $19,000, and $13,000. In addition to the modest salary, there are other varied perks. The D-League teams do in fact pay for player housing, provide certain benefits, and grant each of their players a $40 per-diem for food, etc.

Meanwhile, in Europe
http://www.sportsagentblog.com/2012/07/30/nba-d-league-vs-european-basketball-why-dont-more-players-go-to-europe/

Average overseas players can get a $65,000 contract with ease.  Depending on the league that players get into in Europe, salaries can start as high as $100,000. Not only is there a big discrepancy between the salaries, but the money made in Europe is typically tax free. The club oftentimes will pay your taxes to the country you are playing in. That American who is playing overseas may also receive credit with the United States government for paying their taxes. Further, most European clubs commonly pay for a player’s living expenses. That includes providing a player with a car and lodging. So the player in Europe can be saved from taxes and the more expensive living expenses.

So Bell-Holter is giving up a lot to come to training camp (I don't know what the pay is for training camp). Not sure that would be the decision I would make. Sure, there's a rare chance you get signed to a 10 day contract at some point, and some players may assume they'll be seen by an NBA team more than if they were over in East Schnogglestania, but............
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 05:08:37 PM by Eric M VAN »
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 06:00:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
who?

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 06:20:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2679
  • bammokja
Chris Forsberg, ESPN, writes that Chris Babb (Iowa State) and Damen Bell-Holter (Oral Roberts) have been invited to the Celtics training camp.

nor should you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 02:04:22 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So Bell-Holter is giving up a lot to come to training camp (I don't know what the pay is for training camp). Not sure that would be the decision I would make. Sure, there's a rare chance you get signed to a 10 day contract at some point, and some players may assume they'll be seen by an NBA team more than if they were over in East Schnogglestania, but............
Giving up a lot? I don't think so. The Euroleague starts early October, so he can go through camp and still be picked up by a team that needs reinforcements. Most regular seasons in Europe start roughly at about that time, too.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 02:13:52 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1525

nor should you.

Well I know Chris Babb.  I am an ISU alum, and watched a number of their games last year.  Babb certainly wasn't the star on offense for the Cyclones, but he did have a knack for hitting the timely 3 ball, and coming up with the big def stop when needed.  He is a good def player who has decent size and strength as a 2 guard.  Not sure if he is quick enough to play the point in the NBA but he is a decent ball handler (better than some of the guards on our roster).  Of course I doubt he would make the team, but coming from the over-achieving Fred Hoiberg ISU team, there is probably some overlap with the Stevens type players.

I am excited to see him at least get shot in camp.  ISU really missed his Def in their 2nd round close loss to Ohio State last year.  Babb got injured in that game and wasn't able to contribute much.  It was a shame, because ISU almost pulled the upset anyway.

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 08:37:21 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/bell-holter-coming-alaskan-home-cs-camp
http://redsarmy.com/2013/09/04/brad-stevens-wanted-damen-bell-holter-at-training-camp/

“My agent said Brad Stevens, he was a college coach, had an idea and knew who I was,” Bell-Holter told CSNNE.com in a telephone interview. “That went a long way, I guess, having a coach knowing who I was. My agent said Brad said he wanted me there and they worked everything else out.”

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 09:16:16 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
Giving up a lot? I don't think so. The Euroleague starts early October, so he can go through camp and still be picked up by a team that needs reinforcements. Most regular seasons in Europe start roughly at about that time, too.

Well maybe you're right. But I'd think that with Euro money dropping (according to fellow poster  aporel#18 from Spain who follows the Euro situation pretty closely...see his posts on the front page under the Bell-Holder article) and rosters having being firmed up by then, I'd surmise it's not a given if not highly unlikely.

Maybe teams will be scratching and clawing to sign him but he was already let go by an Italian pro club before agreeing with a team in Germany. I would guess they might not be too happy with him right now. Still, you might be right. I'm no euro bball expert by any means.
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd