Author Topic: Phil Jackson says he’d take Bill Russell over Michael Jordan to start his team  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
He might be being honest but it seemed to me that he was trying to avoid the Michael or Kobe argument again. That's how it seemed to me when I was reading his quotes.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753
I just gained a ton of respect for Phil Jackson, although I can't help wonder if part of that statement is an underhanded shot at Red Auerbach by implying Russell earned the titles, not Red's management and coaching.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I just gained a ton of respect for Phil Jackson, although I can't help wonder if part of that statement is an underhanded shot at Red Auerbach by implying Russell earned the titles, not Red's management and coaching.

It could be that.  It could be that he's being honest.  It could be that he's avoiding the MJ vs. Kobe thing, as Kane said.

Or, my theory:  he's making the "rings are all that matter" argument.  If people buy into that argument, then they have to consider Phil the best coach of all-time.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
He might be being honest but it seemed to me that he was trying to avoid the Michael or Kobe argument again. That's how it seemed to me when I was reading his quotes.

I thought he discussed the Kobe/Jordan question at length in his new book.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=9285372&src=desktop

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I thought he discussed the Kobe/Jordan question at length in his new book.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=9285372&src=desktop

There was a breakdown summary of the comparison on deadspin already.  He basically said he preferred MJ in all ways especially as a leader, though he gave Kobe credit later in his career (and he did say Kobe had strengths and separate abilities).

I remember part was also that Jordan would take what was given on offense more often than Kobe, who would force the issue.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 10:22:39 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442

It could be that.  It could be that he's being honest.  It could be that he's avoiding the MJ vs. Kobe thing, as Kane said.

Or, my theory:  he's making the "rings are all that matter" argument.  If people buy into that argument, then they have to consider Phil the best coach of all-time.
I think it's your theory.

If any other criteria for greatness are presented to Phil, he chuckles like he did when he found out D'Antoni was hired.  I mean, what other response would be appropriate?

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Or maybe Bill Russell really is the greatest of all time.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Or maybe Bill Russell really is the greatest of all time.

You got it but saying it makes Phil Jackson smarter than  I thought.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Phil played against Russell for several years.   He got to see plenty of Bill I wager since he came into the league in 67 and Russ left in 69.