Author Topic: Could the Cs trade Steamer to Dallas for Terry?  (Read 2712 times)

Could the Cs trade Steamer to Dallas for Terry?
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:16:01 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Hey all -- I'm a little slammed at work but wanted to get thoughts on this. Couldn't the Cs s&t Steamer to Dallas for Jet?

His deal could be ~$15mil over 3 years (guaranteed for 1 year, non-guaranteed beyond, or something like that, to assist with Dallas' desire for cap flexibility) -- that's high but not unheard of for a big. He could be a nice bench player there behind Dirk, Brand and Kaman.

Then the Cs could use the MLE on Lee or Mayo, or another priority.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Could the Cs trade Steamer to Dallas for Terry?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:19:10 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
No way Greg gets that kind of cash even in today's market where centers are getting paid ridiculous contracts.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
No.  They don't have Bird rights on him, or cap space, so they can't sign and trade him, unless he signs a non-bird rights contract, which would be significantly less than he could get elsewhere.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
No.  They don't have Bird rights on him, or cap space, so they can't sign and trade him, unless he signs a non-bird rights contract, which would be significantly less than he could get elsewhere.

Who doesn't, the Celtics? I thought Greg was a restricted FA. Doesn't that mean they have his Bird rights?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:33:25 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Who doesn't, the Celtics? I thought Greg was a restricted FA. Doesn't that mean they have his Bird rights?

He is a restricted free agent, but that has nothing to do with Bird Rights.  It just means they have the right to match any offer to him.  But, to match an offer, they have to have a way to actually sign him under the cap.  Since he was only on a 1 year contract, he does not qualify for Bird rights, or even early bird rights.  So, the only way they could sign him (other than for just a slight raise over last years contract) would be as if he was any other free agent from another team.  They could use cap space if they had it (which they don't), or they could use one of their exceptions (the MLE or the bi-annual exception).

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 10:36:17 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

No. 

There are three levels of "rights" a team can have.  We have Stiemer's non-Bird rights, which basically limits us to the amount of his qualifying offer.

Often, teams have "Early Bird" rights to restricted free agents, meaning they can be paid up to the MLE.  We don't, however, as Stiemer has only been with us for one season; Early Bird rights kick in when players have played two or more seasons with a team (without being waived or traded).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 11:06:31 AM »

Offline minijericho29

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24
Hey all -- I'm a little slammed at work but wanted to get thoughts on this. Couldn't the Cs s&t Steamer to Dallas for Jet?

His deal could be ~$15mil over 3 years (guaranteed for 1 year, non-guaranteed beyond, or something like that, to assist with Dallas' desire for cap flexibility) -- that's high but not unheard of for a big. He could be a nice bench player there behind Dirk, Brand and Kaman.

$15mil over 3 years for Greg Steimsma?  You know who he is right?

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 11:09:11 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I'm assuming members of this blog have been observing the deals in the NBA FA marketplace this summer. I won't bother to spell them all out for you.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 11:09:51 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

No. 

There are three levels of "rights" a team can have.  We have Stiemer's non-Bird rights, which basically limits us to the amount of his qualifying offer.

Often, teams have "Early Bird" rights to restricted free agents, meaning they can be paid up to the MLE.  We don't, however, as Stiemer has only been with us for one season; Early Bird rights kick in when players have played two or more seasons with a team (without being waived or traded).

So we can't match offers above about $1.1mil? Ouch.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 11:18:51 AM »

Offline Dano El

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 7

I'm assuming members of this blog have been observing the deals in the NBA FA marketplace this summer. I won't bother to spell them all out for you.

When Stiemsma was on CelticsBlog this morning, he came across this post saying he could make $5m/yr in this FA market and spit his Maxwell House across the kitchen.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:27:29 AM by Dano El »

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

No. 

So we can't match offers above about $1.1mil? Ouch.

We can match using the MLE (currently committed to Terry) or the BAE.  If we use the BAE and another team offers $2 million, though, Stiemer is gone.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes