Author Topic: Best Team Never to Win and NBA Championship  (Read 8795 times)

Re: Best Team Never to Win and NBA Championship
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 05:05:02 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
I'd have to say the mid 2000 Suns only because of all of the implications a Suns title would have had for the NBA.

At the time, the conventional wisdom was that a team built in their mold would never be able to win the NBA Championship.  

The 05 Suns lost Joe Johnson to injury in the Conference Finals.  The 06 Suns lost Amar'e for the season and still made the Conference Finals. The 07 Suns lost Amar'e and Diaw to pretty weak suspensions and would've easily beat the Jazz and Cavs.  Eventually, the whole team was dismantled for cap / salary purposes.

If any one of those teams were able to break through and overcome that bad luck, the entire NBA landscape would've changed.  I may be overdramatizing this, but it would've made an entire brand of offense and style of team legitimate.  All of the other teams on this list can't say that.

The Pacers, Sonics, Jazz, Knicks, Bucks, Kings, Blazers were all just fairly conventional good teams who never broke through.  Rick Adelman coached two of those squads, worth note.

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2012, 05:59:53 PM »

Offline Tough Juice

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Seattle Supersonics and that's not even close
I agree... they had that 6 year period of 55+ wins... peaking with 63 in 1994 and 64 in 1996 when they lost to the Bulls in 6.  For whatever reason, they choked twice in the 1st round during that era.  At the time a lot of people blamed George Karl.  But that team was sick... Gary Payton was probably the most talented point guard of his generation... grossy underrated nationally.  Shawn Kemp in his prime was a total beast of a human.  At his best he was arguably the best PF in the game... could give you 20 and 11 every night with a couple steals and blocks... shot 55% and knocked down his fee throws.  And Detlef Schrempf was an otherworldly shooter.  In 1995 he averaged 19 points while shooting 52%... 51% from three... 84% from the line.  Just an incredible shooter.  I use to watch him warm up before games and I don't think I ever saw him miss a shot during his routine.  Hersey Hawkins was a very solid and underrated player (1 time all-star).  Sam Perkins was an outstanding role player.  Nate McMillan made the all-defense team twice as the 6th man.  SOlid all around.  

Of course, I'm pretty bias.  I moved to Seattle during their peak and it happened to be a pre-internet era where the Celtics stunk and I had no good way to follow them.  We got the internet Pitino's first year and were able to listen to all of the games via online radio.  But prior to that, there was a stretch there where I loved the Sonics.  My dad and I went to about 15 games during the 1996 Finals run.  Loved that team.  Fans were incredible.  Best arena in sports.  My favorite non-Celtic team of all-time without question.  Gary Payton is my favorite non-Celtic player of all-time.  He was incredible (although technically I guess I can't call him a non-Celtic since he eventually played here when he was over the hill).

I'm maybe being biased too a little, because Gary Payton is my favorite player all-time, Celtic, non-Celtic, no matter, HE'S THE ONE in my book, so I maybe am a bit biased too, but that team was great, Gary was a nightmare on defense for anybody, and perhaps one of the best playmakers in the league at that time. Shawn was Blake Griffin before Blake Griffin was born, freakishly athletic he's something I've never seen before him and after him to this date, guy was out of this world, Detlepf was as you said a great shooter, and you mentioned all the other cats. 6 years over 55 wins they were dominating team, I can say with my hand on my heart that they were the best team the never get the chip, at least for me it's like that. For the sake of the argument if I had to say who's second to them I have to go with Malone/Stockton's Jazz

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 07:31:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
2002 LA Lakers

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 08:14:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Loved that 80's Bucks team...Jack Sikma-the first "Stretch" Five, lol...Paul Mokeski, Sidney Moncrief (one of the best defensive guards of all time), Ricky Pierce.

Jack Sikma seemingly couldn't jump over a telephone book, but the guy averaged around 10 rebs per game. I hated that almost flat-footed J of his...that thing was DEADLY. He'd use that thing to draw McHale and Chief out of the paint.

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 08:16:49 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd also have to say Stockton and Malone's Jazz teams. They rank right up there with the best 1-2 tandems of all time. Loved watching them play.

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 08:25:47 PM »

Offline stylo617617

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
07 suns & early 00's kings they got screwed by the refs one year against LA

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2012, 08:42:17 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
Great topic...

Atlanta Hawks with Dominique Wilkins
Sacramento Kings did get rip off big time in early 2000
Portland in the late 80's-early 90's
Indiana with Bird as coach
Utah in 90's
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2012, 09:25:56 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
2002 Kings
2005 or 2007 Suns

With the Suns imagine if they had kept some of their picks and Joe Johnson.

Drexler's Blazers are a great example too.

Going old school and stealing from Simmons but what if the 60's Royals were in the west? Do they make a finals apperance or two and win a title. Big O, Jerry Lucas, Wayne Embry, Adrian Smith.