Author Topic: The Most Egregious Crime: Arrogance Without Contrition (Lebron)  (Read 4808 times)

Re: The Most Egregious Crime: Arrogance Without Contrition (Lebron)
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 02:08:47 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
I don't hate LeBron at all. I think the way he handles himself is unfortunate though and I do root for him to lose because of it. I don't want to cheer for someone who tells a reporter "Maybe you'll ask me a better question tomorrow" in response to the reporter asking a legit and factual question about his lack of 4th quarter scoring".

He acts like a front runner when things are going well and like a sore loser when things are going bad - that's not attractive to most people.

I'd rather root for guys like Tim Duncan and Kevin Durant, Dirk Nowitski, KG, Ray Allen, etc.

I'm one fan who does believe, that because of the spot light and heightened attention athletes get in our society that they are willingly or unwillingly seen as role models and that carries with it a responsibility.

What I'd actually love to see is a very successful LeBron James acting with great class, character and humility in the press. THAT would be awesome. Then you would have another Magic Johnson on our hands and THAT would be something we could all celebrate.

He would make him an inspiration, not a pariah.

The best thing LeBron could do is pick up the phone and ask Magic, Russell and Jordan for advice on how to handle himself and his career. However, he may be too arrogant to do that.

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 02:26:55 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Arrogance alone isn’t enough of a crime to warrant the universal hatred (outside of Miami) of Lebron James.  So, what is it that other arrogant athletes do to deflect the hate – or at least some of it?

I disagree with this, also. I think most people find arrogance to be an overwhelmingly bad characteristic.

I'll speak for myself, though I'm fairly certain most people feel this same way - I've encountered people who've gone on to do some pretty lousy things, criminal, ethical, or both, but at the end of the day the people that's presence I've always least enjoyed is the unapologetically arrogant. Those who can't admit mistakes, and seem to cherish their every move without a hint of being humble.

People want to turn this hatred of arrogance into a sports thing, it's not. Overall, that's how our culture seems tow ork.

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 07:44:11 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2579
The big hate to Lebron just seem bigger and more universal than perhaps he deserves.   Most of this is about a few highly publicized (his own doing)  jerky actions and a handful of jerky statements.  I get why people don't like him and don’t root for him.  It's just the universal intensity of dislike and disdain that I don't fully understand.

I also think that people think they know him better than they actually do.  I don’t know how he treats his friends, his mother, hi grandparents, his children (if he has them), or those who work in his organizations, or waiters/waitresses, etc.  I don’t know what he donates to charity in terms of time, effort and money.  I don’t know if he cares about social issues, the environment, world hunger, child healthcare, etc.  Do you?

I get that people don't like the self-aggrandizing comments (actually only a few comments played over and over out of the thousands of public comments he’s made).  I see that he seems to have a sense of entitlement on and off the court and I understand that he was a participant in a manipulative move to create a good basketball team (note that Red Auerbach manipulated, cheated and deceived to get his teams in place -- but he’s OUR manipulator). 

But, isn’t it true that Lebron is just one of a very large group of arrogant, entitled athletes -- many of whom are not living (as Lebron is) with a microphone and camera constantly in their face.    Lebron has not endeared himself to fans, but he has also not committed human atrocities worthy of the level of disdain he is receiving (IMO).  I do agree with those who suggest that time, and new villains, will take some of the ‘heat’ off him.

I also hope he does what most 26 year olds are allowed to do -  and eventually do – grow up.