Author Topic: Andrew Luck is staying at Stanford...  (Read 6965 times)

Re: Andrew Luck is staying at Stanford...
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 07:37:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
I will say this blows for the Carolina Panthers, though.

Their QB situation is a mess (as is most of their team).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
My friend Matt's take. 

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/01/06/spiegel-andrew-luck-haters-please-get-over-yourselves/

Yeah, he pretty much sums up my feelings on this.  I can't believe how many people just say "stupid decision."  There is no question that Luck has thought long and hard about his decision, and he reached a decision that he is comfortable with.  It's different from what many other people's decisions would be, but there's nothing wrong with it.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 08:02:09 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33

I understand the desire to earn a degree and to enjoy life as a college student, but man...  I would take the money.

All I can say is that he is graduating from Stanford, not some over hyped school.  With Stanford's level of education and its alums, I am sure he will make many millions after his football career is over.  Plus he will be able to work where ever he wants, working in whichever field interests him for how long he wants, not so in the NFL.  Stanford is one of the best universities in the world and even if he didnt go to the NFL, he would still make millions.

Also, a choice between staying in beautiful Palo Alto, CA for 1 more year or getting your head kicked in repeatedly in ugly North Carolina?  Ill take Palo Alto, but I am a Californian and think that my state is one of the most beautiful places on earth...I am a little bias.

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It's a dumb dumb decision from a money perspective (see Matt Leinart).  I think it's not about money, which makes it a fine decision.

It didn't cost Peyton Manning anything and made him a legendary hero in Tennessee (at least for a year until Tee Martin took them to a championship).

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 10:25:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

How bad can Jimmy Clausen be? What did they expect? Plus they also brought in Tony Pike. They should give the kids another year and see what happens.

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 10:45:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be

How bad can Jimmy Clausen be? What did they expect? Plus they also brought in Tony Pike. They should give the kids another year and see what happens.

Jimmy Clausen looked pretty awful this year and there weren't exactly moments out of him that instilled the belief that he may be a franchise quarterback down the road.

Tony Pike made his bones as a system quarterback in college.  I don't see him as much more than a third sting, possibly backup quarterback in the NFL. 

There are serious question marks at the QB position for Carolina and it looks like they'll continue to be.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 10:48:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Jimmy Clausen looked pretty awful this year and there weren't exactly moments out of him that instilled the belief that he may be a franchise quarterback down the road.

Tony Pike made his bones as a system quarterback in college.  I don't see him as much more than a third sting, possibly backup quarterback in the NFL. 

There are serious question marks at the QB position for Carolina and it looks like they'll continue to be.
There's this other 6th round QB that was a system guy in college that didn't see the field his rookie year.  Tom something. Plays in New England.  Really outplayed his draft position. You never know.

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
My friend Matt's take. 

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/01/06/spiegel-andrew-luck-haters-please-get-over-yourselves/

Yeah, he pretty much sums up my feelings on this.  I can't believe how many people just say "stupid decision."  There is no question that Luck has thought long and hard about his decision, and he reached a decision that he is comfortable with.  It's different from what many other people's decisions would be, but there's nothing wrong with it.
Of course there is nothing wrong with his decision. Its his life. What's wrong with saying he made a bad decision?

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 10:50:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah I'm not sure which direction Carolina goes in now, they've got some talent on the roster, hard to say they need a complete rebuild. They really need a new coaching staff, their offense is just awful from the top down.