Author Topic: Pierce's take on C's off season so far  (Read 12658 times)

Re: Pierce's take on C's off season so far
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2010, 07:08:41 PM »

Offline Green Hell

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58
Ugh, Pierce sounds like he has already resigned himself to the 6th seed and an early playoff exit. Not the kind of talk I want to hear from our captain... even if he is being honest.

Tough to hear that he can't even walk around freely in his own hometown because of fear of being heckled. He brought that upon himself though.
Never stop believing baby~

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2010, 07:10:31 PM »

Offline Jevi

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Tony Allen had tremendous foot speed & reflexes, which made him great on defense. He stepped up this past season. His energy will be missed.

Can we legitimately say those were Paul Pierce's comments?

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2010, 08:28:54 PM »

Offline keychey

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
nice to see how orlando is totally out of the radar now after all the hype and 'team to beat in the east' talk about them last season

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2010, 08:30:59 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
nice to see how orlando is totally out of the radar now after all the hype and 'team to beat in the east' talk about them last season

People are still putting them ahead of us  :P.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Maybe Pierce has some leftover fears of Danny not building a decent bench this past season...personally,i never like the Sheldon Williams,Quis Daniels signings.I feel it was what really hurt us in the finals,a medicore bench.There wasn't enough length(rebounding)and athletcism to back up the starters.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:55:02 PM by housecall »

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2010, 08:47:53 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
If Paul wanted better players then he could have signed for a LOT LESS money.  It's the proverbial "you can't have your cake and eat it too" type of thing.  We all want more talent...but that talent comes with a cost, and we just don't have the available funds.

But there will be players left once the smoke clears from all this...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2010, 08:50:27 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

People are still putting them ahead of us  :P.

The talking heads spewing garbage once again. Didn't they crown Cavs of last season as "the team to beat"? Don't be influenced by their nonsense.  

Anyways, glad to see the Captain remaining a Celtics. Pierce has carried the logo with class. BIG3 should all retire in Green with couple of championships hopefully.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:56:13 PM by Change »

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2010, 08:56:10 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
If Paul wanted better players then he could have signed for a LOT LESS money.  It's the proverbial "you can't have your cake and eat it too" type of thing.  We all want more talent...but that talent comes with a cost, and we just don't have the available funds.

But there will be players left once the smoke clears from all this...
That i agree with you,there will be players down the road to be had.tp

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Pierce is allowed his opinion.  I don't think this is too newsworthy.

That said, Danny will field a team that can win this - Kurt Thomas as a minimum guy would make sense.  A wing defender is a pretty fungible commodity ... we should be able to unearth that later in the offseason.
Can you be more specifc?  Those guys are going like hotcakes this week.

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2010, 09:10:55 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2743
Pierce is allowed his opinion.  I don't think this is too newsworthy.

That said, Danny will field a team that can win this - Kurt Thomas as a minimum guy would make sense.  A wing defender is a pretty fungible commodity ... we should be able to unearth that later in the offseason.
Can you be more specifc?  Those guys are going like hotcakes this week.

I think there is no reason to panic. If we don't find a guy we like, then we can wait, start the season with what we have, develop a couple of young guys, even if it costs us a few games, and then pick up a solid wing defender closer to the trading deadline. That's still a good situation. The younger guys get playing time and develop, Pierce and Ray still get some rest, and we eventually get a solid wing backup for the stretch run.

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2010, 09:12:23 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 737
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i agree with PP. this is getting sad. we have bradley, gody and baby on the bench and perk out until march. i certainly don't want scal near this franchise anymore. he is a waste of time and money. we need a big and a wing. please

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2010, 09:14:05 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Maybe Pierce has some leftover fears of Danny not building a decent bench this past season...personally,i never like the Sheldon Williams,Quis Daniels signings.I feel it was what really hurt us in the finals,a medicore bench.There wasn't enough length(rebounding)and athletcism to back up the starters.
And that's because Daniels got injured and basically panned out.  The Sheldon signing I was okay with at the time.

As far as Avery, he's a longer term project with great upside. Think TA with better shooting skills. But I would peg him as the #3 guard on opening night.

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2010, 12:09:29 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118

I feel like Pauls play hurt us in the finals. He flat out got outplayed by Artest.  How does that happen ?

In regards to rebounding, Gasol also outplayed Garnett in the finals.

Bench, or no bench, you can't let those 2 things happen.

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2010, 12:12:24 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

I feel like Pauls play hurt us in the finals. He flat out got outplayed by Artest.  How does that happen ?

In regards to rebounding, Gasol also outplayed Garnett in the finals.

Bench, or no bench, you can't let those 2 things happen.

Paul's not the only one.  KG, and Ray's play hurt us as well.  Especially Ray, with his 0-13.  You can say none of the Big 3 delivered. :(
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2010, 12:28:44 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
Pierce clearly thinks C's should be making more impact moves after he took a discount. But not sure he understands how limited the team is.

Not sure he realizes that he didn't take that much of a discount.  Does he know what our team's payroll is currently at with only 7 rotational players signed (including perk)?  Over 70 million.  Maybe in the high 60's if we let 'sheed retire.  Otherwise we're still in the 70's with 8 rotational players. 
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur