Author Topic: sounds crazy, but Stromile Swift?  (Read 2736 times)

sounds crazy, but Stromile Swift?
« on: June 27, 2010, 05:16:44 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Played himself out of the NBA, but went to China last year and avg 22/12 through 35 games. He's 30, 6-10ish and isn't gonna ask for more than a chance--why not sign him and get him into preseason green? Worse things have happened...

Re: sounds crazy, but Stromile Swift?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 05:23:49 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
We need size so badly that I'd take a chance on just about any player under 32 that can move [no Shaq, JO, or Brad Miller] for the minimum.  If true Centers are not available, I'd take a stable of mobile PF's and run like crazy in the open court, and have the rolling to the hoop in the half court.  Let's start worrying about having the other team match up with us for a change.  There's more than one way to win.

Stromile Swift
Hakeem Warrick
James Singleton

I'd take all three.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 05:30:11 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Yeah, why not--we did a similar trial with Darius Miles. I'm game.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 06:01:44 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
We need size so badly that I'd take a chance on just about any player under 32 that can move [no Shaq, JO, or Brad Miller] for the minimum.  If true Centers are not available, I'd take a stable of mobile PF's and run like crazy in the open court, and have the rolling to the hoop in the half court.  Let's start worrying about having the other team match up with us for a change.  There's more than one way to win.

Stromile Swift
Hakeem Warrick
James Singleton

I'd take all three.

That's enough size for three players.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 11:01:15 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I love the idea of Stromile Swift. I've been posting all day about signing him. He could be like an older Tyrus Thomas for us. He can dunk over defender, block shots, and catch oops from Rondo all day. Plus he does have the ability to hit the open J from 12-15 feet out.

I also would love to sign Hakim Warrick for a long term move to replacement KG and grow with Rondo/Perk. Add in Morrow and you have a future championship squad.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 11:12:28 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
I remember him as a human pogo-stick...  We NEED rebounding help, and he could provide that.  I'd throw out a feeler on him to gauge his interest...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 11:25:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
I remember him as a human pogo-stick...  We NEED rebounding help, and he could provide that.  I'd throw out a feeler on him to gauge his interest...

Im all for it too, but if a guy is playing in china isn't he usually pretty far away from nba calibar? It seems most players that are really top notch talent would play in european leagues. It also was alarming that Stephon Marbury was an all star over there this past season.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 11:41:08 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
yeah, swift sounded good till i read the thread and..is hakim warrick a free agent? he seems like swift only 5 years younger. not sure what his $ value is, but rondo needs finishers - i think warrick could fit in well.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 11:45:30 PM »

Offline PutBackDunk

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
yeah, swift sounded good till i read the thread and..is hakim warrick a free agent? he seems like swift only 5 years younger. not sure what his $ value is, but rondo needs finishers - i think warrick could fit in well.

I'll second this, and also throw out the idea of Tyrus Thomas in a S&T for Sheed's contract. He's obviously not a center, but he's super athletic and fits the finisher role perfectly.

If we got a player like Warrick or Thomas with Sheed's contract I'd feel alot better about Danny throwing away the MLE (or a portion of it) to some over-the-hill center like Brad Miller, Shaq, etc.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 11:46:04 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
i suppose, but isnt swift the guy who everyone raves about for athleticism, then winds up crying over his lack of effort?

sure, if ainge takes a flier on swift that is fine. low risk, high ceiling. but as with vin baker and owolokandi let's not get our hopes up too high.

he was the #2 pick in the 2000 draft and to date his career averages in the NBA are 8.4 points and 4.6 rebounds per game. yeah, maybe playing in China was turned his attitude around.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 12:06:05 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He is a tease. 

Can jump out of the gym, but what good is that if his effort and play keeps his rear glued to the bench?

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 06:30:10 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
 I think the reason we could take a chance on a guy like swift is because of rondo. I'd liken rondo's playmaking ability to guys like jason kidd and chris paul. Kidd has made people like sean williams look good, because all he had to do was jump and catch lobs. The list with kidd included richard jefferson and kenyon martin. Chris paul made tyson chandler look like an all star too - same thing, just finishing plays set up by paul.
       Rondo has been dishing to a hampered kg, perk - who is not a great finisher, and big baby, who finished well for his size but often is blocked and really has difficulty. I'd be curious to see what rondo could do if we had a real athletic four or five. I think it could work pretty well offensively. The guy wouldn't have to be a great overall player - just jump up there and throw it down!