Author Topic: Manu Ginobili agrees to three year extension  (Read 3093 times)

Manu Ginobili agrees to three year extension
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:53:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well for those with severe delusions of grandeur that thought maybe, somehow the C's could land Manu Ginobili, well that's not going to be happening as the Argentinian will sign for the maximum amount that his extension allows for over 3 years, that being $38.9 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5064686

Can't help but wonder why Manu gave San Antonio such a discount as he could have become a free agent and asked around for a short year max level contract of 3 years and $50+ million. Now he probably wouldn't have gotten it, but given the amount of teams that will be throwing cash around I think he definitely gave the Spurs a bit of a discount and could have left millions on the table.

We'll see.

Re: Manu Ginobili agrees to three year extension
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:09:04 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Can't help but wonder why Manu gave San Antonio such a discount as he could have become a free agent and asked around for a short year max level contract of 3 years and $50+ million. Now he probably wouldn't have gotten it, but given the amount of teams that will be throwing cash around I think he definitely gave the Spurs a bit of a discount and could have left millions on the table.

We'll see.

I don't know. Is $13 million per for three years really much of a hometown discount? I guess we'll have to see what the rest of this offseason brings. It could well be a ridiculous market. RealGM used the term "carnivorous" to describe the coming offseason, LOL.

My question: will the Ginobili extension have any bearing on Ray Allen's contract talks?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 12:12:51 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I think the Spurs showed faith in him by giving him this lucrative contract. Granted that he has been on a tear for about a month now....but he also has an extensive history of injuries. Good for him though...and good for the Spurs...whatever gives those bloody Lakers a tough time.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 12:24:19 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Good to hear :)
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 12:37:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

We'll see.

I don't know. Is $13 million per for three years really much of a hometown discount? I guess we'll have to see what the rest of this offseason brings. It could well be a ridiculous market. RealGM used the term "carnivorous" to describe the coming offseason, LOL.

My question: will the Ginobili extension have any bearing on Ray Allen's contract talks?
You, know Lucky, that's a good question.

Could he have gotten a 4 year max level contract out of some desperate team(Minnesota, Chicago if they don't land Wade, Washington, New York if they don't land LeBron, Bosh or Wade)?

Because if he could have, that contract would be worth about $72 million over the four years or nearly double what he gotten in terms of overall money.

Remember, because of what his current contract is, an extension of that contract maxs out at $13 million a year over three years but on a whole new contract, I believe he can get a max contract for a 9 year vet, or a yearly salary starting at $16.2 million. Add an extra year and BOOM, much bigger pay day.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 03:41:09 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

We'll see.

Could he have gotten a 4 year max level contract out of some desperate team(Minnesota, Chicago if they don't land Wade, Washington, New York if they don't land LeBron, Bosh or Wade)?

Because if he could have, that contract would be worth about $72 million over the four years or nearly double what he gotten in terms of overall money.

Remember, because of what his current contract is, an extension of that contract maxs out at $13 million a year over three years but on a whole new contract, I believe he can get a max contract for a 9 year vet, or a yearly salary starting at $16.2 million. Add an extra year and BOOM, much bigger pay day.

im not sure
his agent surely ask

his injuries talks a lot
hes not a rookie anymore...
see pierce..paul
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 04:11:46 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Great deal for both parties. Manu stays home. Spurs keep their big3 together and sprinkle in a little youth (Hill, Blair..) Rebuilding on the fly and still contending. Maybe that's the route Celtics should pursue. Keep the big3 and draft really well. And Hopefully Rondo keeps improving & Perk grows up. Rebuild on the fly and keep the nucleus together.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 06:24:45 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
I think Ginobili was looking at around $10 million per annum in the open market. Likely a four year deal. So roughly the same overall value.

Maybe Manu manages to get a fifth season. The loss of that is large. But otherwise, Manu did about as well as he could have hoped to do this summer and by taking a three year deal he gained the largest possible per annum paydays.

----------------------------------------------------

Good signing for the Spurs. They had no method of replacing him should he leave so they needed to get this done. The Spurs need to make further changes to their team this offseason and if those changes happen they can be back contending for a title next season.

The Spurs best options are (1) trading Tony Parker (2) trading RJ's expiring deal and some combination of their young talent [Blair, Hill, Splitter and/or future draft picks] (3) Spending their MLE preferably on an athletic defensive minded power forward.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 07:37:43 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

We'll see.

I think that is a lot for a player that has had many injury problems and is at the age his position historically drops off.

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 07:41:02 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Great deal for both parties. Manu stays home. Spurs keep their big3 together and sprinkle in a little youth (Hill, Blair..) Rebuilding on the fly and still contending. Maybe that's the route Celtics should pursue. Keep the big3 and draft really well. And Hopefully Rondo keeps improving & Perk grows up. Rebuild on the fly and keep the nucleus together.

I'm still not so sure they're really "contending" right now.

Plus, Tim Duncan is still a 20-10 player at 33, while KG isn't close to that.  Tony Parker is still under 30.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 10:13:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441

Plus, Tim Duncan is still a 20-10 player at 33, while KG isn't close to that.  Tony Parker is still under 30.
I don't think San Antonio is a contender this season but if they make some personnel changes I can see them getting back in the race for a little while longer.

To back to the initial comment -- I do not want the Celtics to attempt to rebuild on the fly. That plan has a massive failure rate. It hardly ever works.

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 11:04:58 PM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48

(Although it's not the main part of your post)

Tbh, Duncan is averaging 18 and 10 as first/second option, while Garnett is averaging 14 and 7 (as third/fourth option). In addition, Garnett has been injured htis year, and overall has played 5000 minutes more. It's to be expected KG shouldn't be close to that, but if he was 1st option like Duncan he might have better stats. Definitely, pre-injury, KG could have been averaging 20-10 if it was in his mind to.

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 11:43:35 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

(Although it's not the main part of your post)

Tbh, Duncan is averaging 18 and 10 as first/second option, while Garnett is averaging 14 and 7 (as third/fourth option). In addition, Garnett has been injured htis year, and overall has played 5000 minutes more. It's to be expected KG shouldn't be close to that, but if he was 1st option like Duncan he might have better stats. Definitely, pre-injury, KG could have been averaging 20-10 if it was in his mind to.

but we're not talking about pre-injury KG.  we're talking about present-day-KG.  and present-day KG can't be a first or second option on offense, and even has trouble making a large impact on the defensive end.

Duncan was putting up 20-10 for most of the year but he's been resting a lot in the last part of the season

- Doc Rivers