Author Topic: Larry Bird's Left-Handed Game 1986  (Read 14965 times)

Larry Bird's Left-Handed Game 1986
« on: August 03, 2009, 01:28:37 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826
Bill Simmons just liked this on his twitter, and this is really one of most impressive performances of Larry Bird in his career. I mean, the dude apparently was bored with all the winning, so he tried to make it a bit difficult for himself by doing a lot of his scoring with his left hand against the Blazers.

He ended up with a triple double, scoring 47 points grabbing 14 rebounds and dishing 11 assists. Completely dominating.

Any of you guys that were old enough during that time remember this particular game and can give us a bit more of the details? Seems like there are different accounts of what occured, while the video shows something different. Was it solely for shots around the basket? Regardless, I think this was an amazing game by him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76nMD8buR8

Re: Larry Bird's Left-Handed Game 1986
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:59:11 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
 8)

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 03:28:43 AM »

Offline Cooze

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 27
and THAT is why Bird was so great. You wil NEVER EVER EVER EVER see LeBaby or Kobe do that in 10,000 lifetimes.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 04:39:06 AM »

Offline wild

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
Woah 8)
Get that 18th banner ready!

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 07:25:50 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
While impressive, from what people were saying about this game I was always under the impression that he was making jump shots with his left hand.  The 3's that were shown and other longer 2pters were shot with his right hand, all the left hand shots did come in the paint.  Still a very impressive showing.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:19:59 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I like the shots of KC "coaching," which for most of that year probably went something like this:

"Nice shot, Larry."

"Nice pass, Larry."

Two minutes left: "Kite, you're in for Parish."

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 08:56:38 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
Man, I'd forgotten about the specifics of that.  I do remember him having a bunch of great games against Portland (including his last great game in 1992).

Loved seeing Walton't behind the back pass. 

Larry's passing was just so [dang] good.

And how about the way he was being banged on the winning possession yet still demanded the ball and made something out of nothing.

Also liked the "down in front" crowd shots
Yup

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 09:32:20 AM »

Offline McHaleinthepost

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
Bill Simmons just liked this on his twitter, and this is really one of most impressive performances of Larry Bird in his career. I mean, the dude apparently was bored with all the winning, so he tried to make it a bit difficult for himself by doing a lot of his scoring with his left hand against the Blazers.

He ended up with a triple double, scoring 47 points grabbing 14 rebounds and dishing 11 assists. Completely dominating.

Any of you guys that were old enough during that time remember this particular game and can give us a bit more of the details? Seems like there are different accounts of what occured, while the video shows something different. Was it solely for shots around the basket? Regardless, I think this was an amazing game by him.

I was 16 years old and watched the game, and I remember it well simply because it was such an unusual performance.  What he did in that game was really extraordinary--I've never seen anyone deliberately go to their off hand as much or with as much success as he did in that game.  Bird had been using his left hand more in '86--I recall him saying that in the off-season all he did was practice with his left hand, but at one point he had scored something like 9 of his 14 FGs with his left hand.  He was posting his man on right side of the lane, and then he was simply rolling back to the lane and dropping in these hooks/finger rolls with ease.  He apparently decided that it was time to put on a clinic to show off all the work that he'd put in and he did just that.  I'll never forget it.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 09:46:31 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I was just a kid when this happened and of course living in Alabama I didn't get to see any of this live.  However, over the years I have heard from Larry's teammates, Mike Gorman and others just how jaw dropping this game was.

Most who worked this game as broadcasters, teammates and coaches basically said it was almost easy to forget you were supposed to be doing something else other than just watching Larry.  They don't make 'em like him anymore.

My other favorite is to hear Xavier McDaniel tell the story of when Larry showed him the spot where he was "about to" hit the game winning shot in his face and then after the timeout did exactly what he said he was going to do leaving the X-Man standing there with just one word..."[dang]".

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 09:56:53 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within

Thanks, TP for posting this (assist to BS). Don't remember this particular game. Was 30 in 86 and had just moved to Boston from Philly having watched Dr. J and the 76ers sweep the Lakers in '83. Did not think I would ever see another dominating performance like that; however did not take Larry, DJ, the Chief and Kevin long to prove me wrong. Have been a Celtics fan ever since.

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 10:30:43 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
They were mostly running 1 handed hooks ( the Larry special ) and layups. 

What a sick line.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 11:18:15 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583
Wow -- what a great trip down memory lane.  The passing ability and intelligence of this team was just unreal.  Frankly, I think our current team has a chance to be a great passing team.   

This clip puts the '86 team's greatness on display.  It was a joy to watch as it occurred, but even more impressive in seeing how it stands the test of time.  The game's pace may be faster today and the strength of today's players is impressive -- but in sheer B-ball IQ and fundamentals -- wow, this team has it way over any team in the current NBA (actually -- perhaps over any team in the history of the NBA).