Author Topic: Sports Cards  (Read 3753 times)

Sports Cards
« on: March 16, 2009, 05:21:08 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
my looking at the C3PO response in RTTSOTOTT made me think about baseball cards I used to collect growing up - I had a ridiculous amount, none worth more than a few bucks, but it was so much fun to collect, organize, trade, etc.  I fondly remember riding my bike to the sports card shop (it was about my barber's) and picking up a pack or two.  I can't remember the last time I bought cards, and I've donated my old ones to a friend's kid who absolutely loves the same hobby now... What were some of your memories of cards?  does anyone still buy packs or collect?
When you love life, life loves you right back

Re: Sports Cards
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 05:32:14 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I still have all of mine.

I'll wait about 50 years, then hopefully there will be a valuable one, haha.

I used to try and collect complete sets, got pretty close a few times.  I did manage to get some of the complete mini sets (like fleer would do 20 'special' cards of some variety, and I managed to get a few complete sets of those).

probably have some good rookie cards, but at this point I dont even know.  I will say I wrote on a mark mcgwire rookie card.  oops (I guess not so much of an oops now, but after he broke the record some idiot would have paid more then it was worth - like $5, haha).

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 05:41:54 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I have a lot from when I was collecting - which unfortunately, was when the flood of product was out on the market ('90 - '91, mostly).  I remember my mother giving me $2 for lunch every day, but spending it every morning on a couple packs of Topps.  Gotta love that old Topps gum; not terrible the first week that the new cards came out, but taking on the consistency of a pile of dust-covered glass shards by the end of the year. 

I remember it being a big deal that my mother would let me hang out downtown when I was in junior high (we lived a few miles out of town, so she'd have to make a special trip to pick me up).  We'd hang out at the card/comic store for hours. 

I remember stealing my brother's best cards, trading some, keeping some, until he caught me.  Must have knocked the crap out of me, because I don't really remember how we resolved that. 

My "best" card is a Rickie Henderson rookie card that's in such bad shape I bought it for $10 when the Becket guide listed its mint value at $80. 

Even then, though, I loved collecting old cards.  There's something about a bunch of baseball cards - even of complete, absolute nobodies - from the 1950s or 1960s that reminds you of how timeless baseball really is. 

I think my favorite card of all time is my NY Mets Choo Choo Coleman that informed me, on the back, that he does in fact love choo-choo trains. 

I've gone through some of my worthless cards, picked out a couple dozen duplicates, and given them to my daughter, just hoping that it'll stick.  Not that I want her to forgoe lunch, but just because...

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 07:59:35 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 08:16:09 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Ken Griffey Jr.'s best rookie card (1989 UD)... Kirby Puckett's main rookie card.... some ARod and Jeter rookie cards (but not the first RCs I don't think)... I have a couple 5 gallon bins back at my parents house full of baseball cards.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 09:16:39 PM »

Offline celticswillwin43

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 80
I collect jersey and sig cards, basketball/baseball and football, i try to find deals on ebay and yard sales, very fun hobby.

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 09:30:52 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
My favorite set was `75.  So bold and colorful.  Very 70's and some great players - a lot at the end of great careers.

A couple of my favorite cards

Also my `74 Brooks Robinson.  I was 6 years old, and that was the first year I really started collecting any cards.  I loved the big bird on Brooks hat.  It had nothing to do with how good the guy was.  My brother (4 years older), played 3rd base and loved Brooks Robinson.  i would trade him that  card for the life of me.

(mine's in much worse shape)

I have some pretty decent cards, but nothing spectacular.  Mostly sentimental value (and there's lots of that).  I have a stack of `48 Bowman's that were my dad's.  They'd be worth a ton if they were in nice shape, but there totally priceless to me regardless.

I just closed my shop down.  I sold mostly cds and vinyl and such, but I also dealt with baseball cards.  I never sold any of "MY" cards.  I have a ton of cheapo new stuff leftover for inventory.  Not sure what to do with them.  (and, no I'm not looking to sell them on here).  Probably throw them on ebay at some point and make a nickel on the dollar.  They hold no sentimental value to me like the old stuff.
Yup

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 10:01:35 PM »

Offline BigDanz2000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
When I started collecting cards I was probably 6-7 years old and probably stopped at 15-16 years old.  Every Sunday my brother, my friend Frank and I would walk to a local flee market about a mile away and spend all day there buy and trading cards.  We did this religiously for those 10 years.  I would probably say over the course of those 10 years I probably accumulated somewhere around 500,000 cards.  I have so many cards still at my parents house and some here at my condo.  I funded this hobby from my Paper route, where my weekly earnings all went to buying baseball cards. 

I would have to say that my best 2 deals I ever had were when my father took my brother and myself to a card show at the local Sheridan in Norwich CT and I bought myself a Bob Gibson Rookie Card for $5 from a blind guy and his dog.  The guy asked me what card it was I was buying and he just gave me the price, I was floored!

The other deal was when I was at the flee market here in Jewett City CT and was walking around looking for deals and I came upon a little old woman who had a cigarette box full of baseball cards from the Late 60's and early 80's.  She said they were her sons and wanted to get rid of them.  So I looked through the box and came away with 2 Rickey Henderson Rookies, who at the time were both worth $130, for 35 cents each, a Bruce Sutter Rookie Card, I believe was worth $20, which I bought for 50 cents and a Reggie Jackson Rookie Card, which at the time was worth $80, which I bought for 50 cents.  I was so happy about this deal I was shaking and showed all the surrounding dealers what I had just bought and in a matter of minutes it seemed, that little old woman was swarmed by collectors!! All because of this 13 year old kid looking for a deal. 

I have every Major Rookie card from 1980 to 1993.  I have so many cards that it would take months for me to go through them all.

I dont collect anymore, but every once in a while I goto Target and buy a box of cards, baseball and basketball.  It was such a fun hobby when I was a kid, I know that I will never get rid of all my cards because of their sentimental value, which to me is worth more than their monetary value.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 10:06:01 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i sold pretty much my entire collection a few yrs ago.  i kept some sentimental ones.

however, i kept my fav, and most valuable, card:

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 10:35:09 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

Best card I have...
Rookie card, purchased it at a flea market in the Cape when I was about 12 and he broke the record when I was like 17 or so... I don't know. It was a good buy at $10 when I got it. Doesn't look so good now.  :(

LOL... actually I just looked it up and that card is worth half the price I bought it for now. Way to go Barry!

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 10:46:26 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Best card I have...
Rookie card, purchased it at a flea market in the Cape when I was about 12 and he broke the record when I was like 17 or so... I don't know. It was a good buy at $10 when I got it. Doesn't look so good now.  :(

LOL... actually I just looked it up and that card is worth half the price I bought it for now. Way to go Barry!
I sold a bunch of Barry rookie cards a while back. I also have his first topps card from the traded set. I'm also glad I sold my McGwire olympic team card before his disgrace. I sold my cal ripken jr rookie too early though. Oh well. I needed the cash.

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 12:10:56 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I have some unopened sets.  Does anyone know roughly how much say the 91 upper deck set is worth?

My fondest memory is collecting the Dream team cards. 

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 12:13:08 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
I have some unopened sets.  Does anyone know roughly how much say the 91 upper deck set is worth?

My fondest memory is collecting the Dream team cards. 

not much...early 90's cards have all really died off in value...they made so [dang] many
Yup

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 12:30:12 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
When I was younger, I had Looney Tunes World Cup cards from '94 that a friend had given to us.  It was cool because of the cartoons and the stats, but besides that not much else.

In Brazil, during World Cups, we have are album figures.  Basically the same thing, but instead of cards they're mostly stickers.  You place the stickers on the appropriate box on the album (sold separately) where it had each individual country with stats and so on.  It was cool because it was a great way to read up and find out about players from other countries so when you watch the games you know who they are.  I remember that in '94 I had a good amount of Brazil page completed and I had Greece completely filled (I think I had a couple more random countries like Cameroon and Ukraine or something).  Anyway, anybody share the same experience?
Baby Jesus!