Author Topic: CB Draft Western Conference Results  (Read 14135 times)

Re: CB Draft Western Conference Results
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2008, 07:23:01 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
OH I see... Edgar talked about his TP giving abilities... that's what killed me. OK .... >:(

How else could I go from 50% of the division to losing? This is crazy.

There are no losers here

I second Redz's sentiments. What's more, I'd encourage you to let it slide off your back. The planned schedule was mentioned early on, most of us saw it, some of us didn't. Maybe it ought to have been posted in every related thread, but if it had been, what would you have done differently? (Yes, you would've voted, but I'm not sure I understand why you didn't, either way? That, and one vote wouldn't have been enough in this case.)

Anyway, this was always going to be largely about the draft itself, having fun with the process, and far less about post-draft evaluations, play-off rankings, etc., all of which are fast and loose, wildly speculative, and completely divorced from the upcoming season.

I get it though; I just remind myself that this isn't a fantasy game ideally suited to the very competitive (though I get the sense that a lot of us are...). It's more an enjoyable distraction, a fun way to have passed some time in the off-season with a good group of guys.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:48:31 PM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2008, 07:26:53 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
The other thing is that in the press conference threads, people had a chance to argue a case for their teams.

I obviously did a crap job of that.

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2008, 07:56:36 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Ouch, obviously disappointed by my own showing, 4th in the Southwest. I knew I had two detractors in Houston and Portland, but I didn't guess how widely dismissed my team was. I still stand by my original prediction that each of my starters is going to play well above his draft position... I guess I'm just well ahead of the curve ;)

But I'm also surprised by:

1st: Mavericks Average Position: 2.13
2nd: Rockets Average Position: 2.76

Rockets win the preseason poll handily only to finish solidly in second this time. Not sure what happened here? Anyway, I'm looking forward to Edgar's reaction...

2nd: Utah Average Position: 2.84
3rd: Minnesota Average Position: 2.95

And, am I first to mention what appears to be the second biggest shift here - Minnesota came in second to Portland for 1st place votes the last time around, but this poll shows Timberwolves might be a love them or hate them squad?

Anyway, for the record count me among those that hardly believe OKC is the worst team in the Western Conference... oh, and I love Redz's draft chart. (TP)

Sorry for coming late to the party
My first reaction is

second

darn I am good

third

its easy to see why i am 3rd not 1 or 2 , its because if youre in a tough division as Jsaad and myself its difficult to dominate.

fourth

I didnt give a single TP in this votation
I only vote once

Saludos

Happy Edgar
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 08:10:27 PM by Edgar »
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2008, 08:09:19 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3780
  • Yup
OH I see... Edgar talked about his TP giving abilities... that's what killed me. OK .... >:(

How else could I go from 50% of the division to losing? This is crazy.

There are no losers here

I second Redz's sentiments. What's more, I'd encourage you to let it slide off your back. The planned schedule was mentioned early on, most of us saw it, some of us didn't. Maybe it ought to have been posted in every related thread, but if it had been, what would you have done differently? (Yes, you would've voted, but I'm not sure I understand why you didn't, either way? That, and one vote wouldn't have been enough in this case.)

Anyway, this was always going to be largely about the draft itself, having fun with the process, and far less about post-draft evaluations, play-off rankings, etc., all of which are fast and loose, wildly speculative, and completely divorced from the upcoming season.

I get it though; I just remind myself that this isn't a fantasy game ideally suited to the very competitive (though I get the sense that a lot of us are...). It's more an enjoyable distraction, a fun way to have passed some time in the off-season with a good group of guys.

Well said WW.  I only had a few seconds to chime in earlier, but you basically finished my thought.  I can be an extremely competitive ****.  I can't stand playing games with my daughter for this very reason - I know it's not right to be competitive in that situation, but my instincts don't want to just let her win.  That said, my competitive nature just never kicked into this thing.  For me, it's tough to call it a competition when the only results are subjective.  I enjoyed the drafting and the trading and trying to mold my team into some sort of something (it turned out being a bunch of knuckleheads, but I came to embrace that). 

To each his own I suppose.  I just don't see getting all worked up over it.
Yup

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2008, 09:06:44 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
chill out... if you didn't get a high amount of votes... maybe your team just wasn't good enough.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2008, 09:35:24 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
chill out... if you didn't get a high amount of votes... maybe your team just wasn't good enough.

The last person I want to hear anything from is the dude who has D. Mutumbo is his starting lineup...

That being said it's all good.

I had a blast doing this thing and I want to congratulate Edgar and all other division winners. I've been busy at work/home and I felt a blindsided by this whole thing but clearly I wasn't paying close enough attention.  If I was paying attention I would have been marketing my team on the threads like other GM's and also would have voted... Maybe the turnout would have been different maybe not.

Regardless I'm moving on...

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2008, 12:28:51 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
It wouldn't be a Celticsblog Mock Draft thread without a controversy.

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2008, 06:23:52 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

The last person I want to hear anything from is the dude who has D. Mutumbo is his starting lineup...

I had a blast doing this thing and I want to congratulate Edgar and all other division winners. I've been busy at work/home and I felt a blindsided by this whole thing but clearly I wasn't paying close enough attention.  If I was paying attention I would have been marketing my team on the threads like other GM's and also would have voted... Maybe the turnout would have been different maybe not.

did i at any point declare my team was better than yours? the prospect and quality of my team has no affect on how good your team is, therefore i can indeed say, if you did not get enough votes, maybe your team just plain old sucked.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2008, 08:55:47 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

kidding...kidding....
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2008, 10:00:57 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

did i at any point declare my team was better than yours? the prospect and quality of my team has no affect on how good your team is, therefore i can indeed say, if you did not get enough votes, maybe your team just plain old sucked.

Yeah... probably.

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2008, 10:24:19 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3780
  • Yup
I still say we decide a winner like MEN

Yup