Author Topic: Trade Thought With Milwaukee  (Read 4614 times)

Trade Thought With Milwaukee
« on: July 04, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
To Boston: Michael Redd and Charlie Villanueva
To Milwaukee: Ray Allen, JR Giddens or Bill Walker, and Glen Davis

The Celtics are not going to be in a good cap position until 3 years from now.   This allows Milwaukee to get out of one year of Redd's contract in the most attractive FA class in a while.   

The Celtics get younger and get a better big man backup.   

Milwaukee gets back a very popular player AND some nice young players. 

The concept of trading any of the Big 3 is not exactly what I think is going to happen, but I figured it might warrant some discussion :)

Re: Trade Thought With Milwaukee
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 01:29:31 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

The Celtics are not going to be in a good cap position until 3 years from now.   This allows Milwaukee to get out of one year of Redd's contract in the most attractive FA class in a while.   

The concept of trading any of the Big 3 is not exactly what I think is going to happen, but I figured it might warrant some discussion :)

I'm not going to blast you for thinking trading Allen would be an ok move..but

No way does Milwalkee take back an aging and now pretty streaky Ray Allen, 1 of 2 completely unproven talents (Walker due to injury, Giddens due to school, character) and an undersized power forward with possible weight issues, esp when they don't have a legit 4 as it is. Milwalkee loves Ray Allen, sure, but I mean their team is in a different spot than taking back a guy like him, esp at the money he makes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 01:39:15 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
I think Milwaukee would consider it.  Michael Redd has not shown that he is a franchise player while Ray Allen has.   And it does save them a year of big money.

But the Celtics should definitely think twice about it.  Ignoring the part about trading one of the big three (which has been discussed here a lot already), Redd would probably not be a good fit.  He had a chance to be the #2 guy with LeBron a few years ago and decided he wanted to be the man on a crappy team than be a second option on a potentially great team. 

Also, while he is an excellent shooter and would fill that role well, he doesnt have the complete game that Allen does and plays horrible defense, even worse than pre-Celtics Ray.  If you look at the Bucks since Redd became the man there, they are consistently one of the worst defensive teams in the league.  KG would explode.

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I don't think it's terrible.  They'll be positioning themselves to make a run at a FA (probably Wade since he went to school at Marquette), getting back one of the better players in the teams history, getting some not so terrible prospects for their wings, and ridding themselves of Charlie Villanueva.

Then on the other hand, Dwyane Wade probably knows all he ever needs to about Milwaukee in the winter, no one else is going to want to go there, and the talent they're getting back isn't equal to the talent they're sending out (I'll picture Redd and Ray as a wash, are they going to deal Villanueva for those three?). 

All in all, not that bad compared to some of the better Scal and Tony Allen for "____" deals, but I think the Bucks want picks more than players because I don't see Milwaukee as the hot spot for Free Agents.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 01:47:19 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Amyone try this on trade checker
because sounds very interesting idea to me
not one that Milwake will do it but interesting
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:54:29 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
Personally, I believe Milwaukee wants out of Michael Redd's contract. 

Another option:

To Cleveland:Michael Redd and Dan Gadzuric
To Milwaukee:Wally Szczerbiak and Joe Smith

Cleveland gets Redd whom they've wanted to pair with Lebron for years, but in return takes back Gadzuric's ugly contract. 

Milwaukee gets back two expiring contracts.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 02:01:28 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
This is the kind of rare trade idea that makes sense for both teams, but which neither team would do.

1). Allen is a part of the valuable team core, and valuable because of what he does for team chemistry..

2). Redd is the Milwaukee star - the one their franchise has been built around, so trading him would signify rebuilding on a whole new level. I.E. it would be a red flag to free agents.

Nice idea in theory, however.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 02:02:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Personally, I believe Milwaukee wants out of Michael Redd's contract. 

Another option:

To Cleveland:Michael Redd and Dan Gadzuric
To Milwaukee:Wally Szczerbiak and Joe Smith

Cleveland gets Redd whom they've wanted to pair with Lebron for years, but in return takes back Gadzuric's ugly contract. 

Milwaukee gets back two expiring contracts.

Add in JJ Hickson and Anderson Varejao, along with a 1st in place of Joe Smith and I think its really attractive offer to both teams. Frees up Milwalkee to possibly trade Chuckie V, gives them a good option behind Bogut, and gets them out of Redd's contract...

Now if only they could find a top tier point, sg to replace redd, figure out their sf direction (Jefferson makes no sense if you're trading Redd), and hope Hickson becomes a good 4, they'd have a stew brewin, baby!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 02:27:13 PM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 06:32:09 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
I could see them offering Anderson Varejao and maybe a first round pick, but Gadzuric's contract is a major negative in the deal.   Don't see them having to pay the price you are suggesting. 

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 01:46:10 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85

Very glad we didn't do this.