Author Topic: Great Wetzel Article on Pierce  (Read 2446 times)

Great Wetzel Article on Pierce
« on: June 13, 2008, 05:28:05 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
I looked and didn't see this article on the site.  It's by Dan Wetzel at Yahoo.  Great article on Pierce stepping up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AlqVrVxi4UWiuVjG1vdGm8W8vLYF?slug=dw-lalbosgamefour061308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Re: Great Wetzel Article on Pierce
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 06:10:17 PM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Good quote:

"Give me Kobe? Yes, that’s what Russell would have said. That’s a Havlicek move. Bird. Cousy. Cowens. D.J. or Maxwell. That’s what Celtics do, the guys with those numbers hanging from the rafters, right next to the championships they won."

He also went off on Kimbo slice the other week, I think I like wetzel

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 06:46:24 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
Wow. Great article. Sent chills down my spine.

What's so great about it to me is that Pierce didn't ask to guard Kobe out of arrogance or lack of confidence in his teammates (something Kobe would do). Rather, he did it as a humble offering of what he was willing to do (i.e., sacrifice) in order to help the team win. Instead of serving as an insult to his teammates, it inspired them. To me that is what separates leaders, winners and champions from the rest.

My respect for Paul Pierce continues to grow.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 06:56:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Once the finals started, all Yahoo Sports writers somehow decided that they have to be melodramatic. The result is that all their work sounds ridiculous, including this particular article on Pierce.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 06:56:51 PM »

Offline cordialb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
If you have a kid, and his dream is to play for the celts, dont let him get too attached to the number 34...i think it's spoken for...

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 07:14:06 PM »

Offline DutchHoops

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
"thats how you do it" and "One more, C's" brought tears of pride and joy to my eyes, i'm tellin ya, good thing the wife didn't see it.

The result of 48 mins of sheer determination. I love PP, the team and Doc! Let's get the job done in 5.

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »

Offline WillyBeamin

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • Celtic Pride
Once the finals started, all Yahoo Sports writers somehow decided that they have to be melodramatic. The result is that all their work sounds ridiculous, including this particular article on Pierce.

really?

I'm pretty sure paul pierce had a pretty legendary performance last night on the biggest stage of his career...more than one Celtic player said that pierce stepping up and saying he wanted kobe inspired them in the 2nd half, that he set the mood going into the 2nd half. this was  "jump on my back" sort of moment/game. Pierce has unquestionably stood up as the leader of this team that is on the verge of a title... how is this article ridiculous?

I agree, great piece of writing from wetzel.
Take it to the hole, there's a dance involved

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 07:58:31 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Completely disagree, that's a great article, and i don't see whats melodramatic about it. thats what happened, those are real qoutes from the players. they mentioned in post game comments that thier captain stepping up and wanting Kobe one on one was inspiring.

awesome find, TP to the OP and to everyone in this thread, i'm in a very good mood today!  ;D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 06:38:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I am not against the point made about Pierce. But it all sounds like a Nora Roberts novel. This is ridiculous. They ran a piece on Kobe in the same ridiculous style:

Kobe Bryant tugged on his sport coat, squared his jaw and stared into the cameras. His eyes blazed with anger, and it was easy at that moment to understand the fury that had famously sent him on the warpath a year ago.

Seriously?!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 08:00:45 PM »

Offline spelz

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 13
I have felt Paul's defense has been underated, but he worked his tail off that second half.