Author Topic: Sam Cassell on Lakers short list  (Read 997 times)

Sam Cassell on Lakers short list
« on: May 15, 2024, 01:46:14 PM »

Online aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
Mazz could have several vacancies on his staff (provided he's around, but that's a story for another thread  ;))

Re: Sam Cassell on Lakers short list
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 02:32:30 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 326
What's the use in having a lot of "top assistants" if they're all going to leave after one season?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 02:35:23 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
What's the use in having a lot of "top assistants" if they're all going to leave after one season?

Better than having bad assistants stick around leading you to 41-41 records.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 02:47:36 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Of course. I'm just wondering if there are guys who are good assistants but who would be willing to stick around for a few years.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 03:30:15 PM »

Online aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55

Of course. I'm just wondering if there are guys who are good assistants but who would be willing to stick around for a few years.

Not if a better opportunity presents itself.  I would venture almost all assistants dream of becoming head coach - and the percentage goes up even more amongst the top assistants.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 03:40:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
I am not sure Sam Cassell is the right guy to coach that Lakers team.  He would be better off staying in Boston, but I get the desire to have a shot at being a head coach.

There will be a Mazzulla coaching tree starting very soon.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2024, 04:15:16 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
lakers are stupid

its not a coach issue out there

and jj redick? seriously?
u think thats gonna work?

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2024, 05:40:15 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995

Not if a better opportunity presents itself.  I would venture almost all assistants dream of becoming head coach - and the percentage goes up even more amongst the top assistants.

Honestly, if you have an assistant who doesn’t aspire to be a head coach, he’s probably not the best assistant if he’s under 60.  (And even then, those guys would still take a shot at it if they could).

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2024, 06:22:07 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Can/do teams sign assistants to, say, 3-year deals that can't be terminated? Meaning they have to stay in that assistant position for the full 3 years, and couldn't leave for a head-coaching gig during that period? Or is that just something no assistant would want to commit to?

I'm just thinking out loud, because it seems ridiculous for a team to have to replace its top 2-3 assistants every season.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2024, 06:35:29 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Can/do teams sign assistants to, say, 3-year deals that can't be terminated? Meaning they have to stay in that assistant position for the full 3 years, and couldn't leave for a head-coaching gig during that period? Or is that just something no assistant would want to commit to?

I'm just thinking out loud, because it seems ridiculous for a team to have to replace its top 2-3 assistants every season.

I don't see the NBCA agreeing to that. In turn, I don't see owners agreeing to that either as it would stop teams from moving onto new coaches whenever they see fit.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2024, 06:49:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So long as we win a title, I'd be happy for Sam to get an opportunity.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2024, 07:33:28 PM »

• Satch Sanders

I don't see the NBCA agreeing to that. In turn, I don't see owners agreeing to that either as it would stop teams from moving onto new coaches whenever they see fit.

I'm sure you're right on both counts. I'd just hate to have to go hunting for 2-3 new assistants every offseason, lol. I'd want more continuity.

— C.S. Lewis