Author Topic: Load Management?  (Read 4764 times)

Re: Load Management?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2023, 08:56:26 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 748
Yep, him and Horford are load managed throughout the year. Porzingis did already suffer an injury but overall, he's missed a lot of games where if it's playoffs I think he does play.

It's fine for now but this is where having a solid 3rd big would be useful to eat up minutes in the regular season. Maybe Queta emerges as that guy, because Kornet ain't it. And they should still trade for a depth PF/C. Depending on foul trouble or injuries in the playoffs you will need to have multiple bodies on the likes of Giannis/Embiid/Turner/Bam in games. G-Will functioned in that role. He's no longer here

Exactly. I love Queta's size and rebounding and hope they use him sporadically to throw at the likes of Embiid, Giannis, etc.
But we need an upgrade in talent at that position along with Queta - let's hope Brad doesn't totally fall back on his small-ball philosophy.
Also, this is why we should not have let go of Grant Williams for nothing, though admittedly I may not understand all the roster/salary reasons for that move beyond only saving money. Of course, Joe would have to play the guy for him to help the team.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2023, 09:45:20 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Nope. Zinger is just fragile and hurt a lot.

they definitely are managing him though. he probably would play if its the playoffs. just put up 20pts the other night, and probably playing tomorrow.
This is what I believe, they will sit him as often as they can. If they still win, it worked! I really hope he is good and health around Playoff time!

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2023, 08:56:26 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3774
  • Yup

Although he seems tough enough during the actual games.  Seems to play through a lot.  Sabonis was beating the crap out of him the other night and he kept coming back for more. Eventually getting the better of Sabonis.
Yup

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2023, 09:33:37 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561

Although he seems tough enough during the actual games.  Seems to play through a lot.  Sabonis was beating the crap out of him the other night and he kept coming back for more. Eventually getting the better of Sabonis.
toughness and fragility are not the same thing.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2023, 12:43:11 PM »

Offline terra haute

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
I get the giving guys some breaks but too me they should still be dressed and if needed for foul trouble or something for 5-10 minutes and can make a difference in a win and a loss for playoff seeding  play them.

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2023, 03:01:00 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Yep, him and Horford are load managed throughout the year. Porzingis did already suffer an injury but overall, he's missed a lot of games where if it's playoffs I think he does play.

It's fine for now but this is where having a solid 3rd big would be useful to eat up minutes in the regular season. Maybe Queta emerges as that guy, because Kornet ain't it. And they should still trade for a depth PF/C. Depending on foul trouble or injuries in the playoffs you will need to have multiple bodies on the likes of Giannis/Embiid/Turner/Bam in games. G-Will functioned in that role. He's no longer here

Exactly. I love Queta's size and rebounding and hope they use him sporadically to throw at the likes of Embiid, Giannis, etc.
But we need an upgrade in talent at that position along with Queta - let's hope Brad doesn't totally fall back on his small-ball philosophy.
Also, this is why we should not have let go of Grant Williams for nothing, though admittedly I may not understand all the roster/salary reasons for that move beyond only saving money. Of course, Joe would have to play the guy for him to help the team.

It's been discussed a lot, but Grant did want out and I think he would have probably continued being a slower ball-movement/decision-making (pumpfake, pumpfake, pumpfake...) presence in our offense. However, now that we're having trouble finding salaries to match potential trades it certainly would have helped to have his contract on the roster. Dealing Horford is practically impossible due to him taking a team-friendly discount and the fact that they've pumped him up as their veteran leader.

However, at the time it seemed like maybe the Celtics could still get under the apron, but maybe I'm misremembering. It was really the Holiday trade coming unexpectedly that removed the remaining tradable, sizable contract we had on the roster. Now we probably have no shot at a Kelly Olynyk or Isaiah Stewart type.

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2023, 05:34:07 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2023, 09:21:50 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 377
watching Porzingis today its pretty clear that they are managing his minor injuries with the big picture in mind.

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2023, 07:03:18 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1406
Just wondering if you think this is load management for Kristaps Porzingis? I meant they seem to hold him out in a lot of games. Seems like modern day load management to me. Keep him more fresh and healthy for when we really need him down the stretch? Just wondering what others think?

Here is the league's definition of load management:

Beginning this 2023-24 season, the new PPP mandates that teams:

• Rest no more than one star player from a game. (For purposes of the restrictions, a “star player” is defined as someone who has been an All-Star or an All-NBA selection in any of the past three seasons. It also will impact for the balance of the schedule players named to that season’s All-Star teams.)
  • Make star players available for nationally televised games and In-Season Tournament games.
  • Balance the number of one-game “rest” absences a star player accrues in home games vs. road games, with a recommendation that a player more often sit out at home.
  • Refrain from any long-term “shutdown” when a star stops participating in games or appears only in a materially reduced role that could affect the integrity of the game.
  • Have any healthy players resting for a game present and visible to fans.

The policy includes exceptions for injuries and personal absences, as well as pre-approved absences in back-to-back schedule circumstances based on a player’s age, career workload or serious-injury history.

For example, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul and other players who are at least 35 years old on opening night or have appeared in 1,000 career games or logged more than 34,000 regular-season minutes will fall into this category. Their teams must notify the league in writing at least one week in advance explaining why the player’s participation will be limited.

The league office will have authority to conduct investigations and order independent medical reviews in the event of any questionable absences.

A team’s first PPP violation would carry a fine of $100,000, according to an ESPN report. A second offense would cost $250,000 and subsequent fines would escalate by $1 million per violation.

https://www.nba.com/news/adam-silver-load-management-bog-news-conference-2023

I think what they are doing with KP doesn't fall under this because I think his last All-Star appearance was more than 3 seasons ago, and because he has suffered an injury. Al's sitting out SEGABABAs would fall under the exception for players over the age of 35.

I'm ok with what the Cs are doing, I don't think it violates the policy. I think what the league are trying to avoid is situations like where star players decide to sit out multiple games for no reason other than to "save them for the playoffs". Kawhi sat out numerous games for the Clippers even while he was healthy, to save him for the playoffs. Or the situation with Al in OKC where they decided to just not play him for parts of the season because he wasn't part of their plans (I think at the time Al wasn't 3 seasons removed from being an All Star). I think as a statement of principle what they want is "healthy star players playing while healthy".

All that said I think it's a policy that is difficult to prove - just as any employer might find it hard to prove that an employee calling in sick, who produces a sick note, is actually sick  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2023, 08:03:21 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 981
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Teams should not like this one:
Balance the number of one-game “rest” absences a star player accrues in home games vs. road games, with a recommendation that a player more often sit out at home.

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2023, 07:53:15 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1406
Balance the number of one-game “rest” absences a star player accrues in home games vs. road games, with a recommendation that a player more often sit out at home.

I guess the logic is that if you do decide to sit someone then punish your own hip pocket instead of someone else's  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2023, 08:36:57 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1214

I guess the logic is that if you do decide to sit someone then punish your own hip pocket instead of someone else's  :angel:

My first thought was that home fans would have more chances to see your star/are more likely to know the backups, while on the road some fans may buy tickets specifically to see the road team's stars (and not have another chance until the following year)
I'm bitter.