Author Topic: Dominique Wilkins on the Celtics  (Read 1221 times)

Dominique Wilkins on the Celtics
« on: March 11, 2023, 11:14:21 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Some of us are old enough to remember Dominique Wilkins spending one year with the Boston Celtics. My question is, how he got out of his three-year contract? I understand there was a buy out clause, but can anyone shed some light on the situation and what exactly happened?

I did find this article https://web.archive.org/web/20150402151526/http://articles.philly.com/1995-08-13/sports/25708447_1_dominique-wilkins-panathinaikos-athens-atp-championship

Re: Dominique Wilkins on the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 01:41:17 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
He had buyout clause. Panathinaikos paid him the richest contract ever handed out outside the US at that time to go play in Greece and he helped them win the EuroLeague. Then the club basically kicked him to the curb because he was a primadonna and basically faked an injury which cost Panathinaikos the Greek league title.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 01:52:00 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
He had buyout clause. Panathinaikos paid him the richest contract ever handed out outside the US at that time to go play in Greece and he helped them win the EuroLeague. Then the club basically kicked him to the curb because he was a primadonna and basically faked an injury which cost Panathinaikos the Greek league title.

Impressive memory!  I think that was when Pitino started with us and I was optimistic when he let Nique go.  I thought we were on the right track.  Turns out that Travis Knight wasn't the answer  ;)

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 01:54:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1647
  • What a Pub Should Be

Impressive memory!  I think that was when Pitino started with us and I was optimistic when he let Nique go.  I thought we were on the right track.  Turns out that Travis Knight wasn't the answer  ;)

I also remember there was something about the lockout and a payment Wilkins was disputing.  I just remember it being pretty acrimonious.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team