Author Topic: Memphis Idea  (Read 5027 times)

Re: Memphis Idea
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2019, 11:24:03 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1215
Why is almost every thread about trying to trade a dollar for 3 quarters?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 12:40:49 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
A potential go for it all move this year.

Boston receives:

Jonas Valunciunas
Jae Crowder
Andre Iguadola

Memphis receives:

Gordon Hayward
Enes Kanter
Romeo Langford
Memphis Pick returned

Thoughts?
Why would we trade possibly our best player for a bunch of jags? And we throw in a potential golden draft pick to boot?

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2019, 02:52:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wow...

This undoubtedly makes the Celtics worse. How at all this is "going all in" when we're giving up an All-Star calibre player, a lotto pick, and a likely future lotto pick for ... Jones V, a bench wing and the corpse of Iggy is beyond me
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2019, 03:23:22 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399
Swing and a miss

Jae Crowder is pretty much done, and doesn’t Iggy at this stage in his career have about the same defensive prowess on the perimeter as Kanter?

Would be nice to have JV but I’m not giving up Hayward nor the Memphis pick for him. A project that may one day develop like Langford (and/or Edwards)? I’ll take those future losses for some immediate help.

- LilRip

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2019, 06:13:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We don't win that trade by any means.

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2019, 08:49:08 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
A potential go for it all move this year.

Boston receives:

Jonas Valunciunas
Jae Crowder
Andre Iguadola

Memphis receives:

Gordon Hayward
Enes Kanter
Romeo Langford
Memphis Pick returned

Thoughts?

quick hot take:  it sucks.

after some more thought:  it really, really sucks

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 09:11:50 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
People forget how well Hayward was playing before his injury. In this trade, he’s almost being treated like salary filler.

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 09:15:57 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
I’m disappointed that this thread is on the 2nd page...

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2019, 09:20:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
doesn’t Iggy at this stage in his career have about the same defensive prowess on the perimeter as Kanter?

I agree it’s a bad trade, but where are you getting this from? He’s still a valuable defender, he’s just wildly overpaid.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2019, 09:27:30 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399
doesn’t Iggy at this stage in his career have about the same defensive prowess on the perimeter as Kanter?

I agree it’s a bad trade, but where are you getting this from? He’s still a valuable defender, he’s just wildly overpaid.

Haha I haven’t watched him play at all this year. I’m just assuming the dude’s fallen off a cliff and isn’t as motivated to play anymore now that he’s no longer contending
- LilRip

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2019, 09:47:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Haha I haven’t watched him play at all this year. I’m just assuming the dude’s fallen off a cliff and isn’t as motivated to play anymore now that he’s no longer contending

Well, he hasn’t been playing this year, but last year in the playoffs he was as good as ever. He’s probably the only guy in the NBA who can play excellent defense on both Harden and Lebron.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2019, 11:57:20 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Would you trade Tatum, Brown, and Smart for Jimmy Butler?   That's a hard no right?   The time of the JB draft Chicago wanted the picks that became Brown and Tatum, plus Smart and I believe one of Avery Bradly or Crowder.   The NBA media know it all's felt Danny messed up not making that trade as did a number of people on this blog.    I believe the mood was predominately split between we should have drafted Jamal Murray with we should have traded for Jimmy Butler.   There were more people in favor of drafting Chris Dunn than Jaylen Brown.  Some people even wanted Dragon Bender, and sadly I was one of those on team Bender. Danny did the right thing in not making the trade and that's why he's the GM and we're not.  Jamal Murray is playing great so there is some room for second guessing there but less this year as Brown is quietly breaking out.  The Memphis pick if we get it this year should be 7-9.  The only trade I really see worth making is trying to use it to trade up and get Vernon Carey.   James Wiseman probably goes #1 or at worst top 3, so there is no chance there, the cost would be too great.   I do think that we could pt together a package with the Memphis pick to move up to get Vernon Carey, who is sitting at 5 on the last mock draft I looked at.   I am enjoying the team we have right now and have no interest in gutting the core to bring in a good but not great Big.  We  have to mach salary in any trade so that really means giving up someone good probably Hayward and/or Smart.  I say keep the pick and try and trade up for Vernon Carey or hope he slides to us. 

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2019, 12:55:47 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
I don't think I've ever seen a trade where the best player and best draft pick are going to the same team. This is colossally, mind numbingly bad.

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2019, 04:35:49 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Maybe if Rick Pitino still worked for the C's

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2019, 04:42:51 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Come on... we can all admit that we have a roster imbalance with a bevy of wing/swing.

One guy got hurt and we were forced to play Jevonte Green and in some cases Grant Williams. We might have an imbalance talent wise, but we don't have too many wings. We play 3 at almost all times.