Author Topic: Hayward less needed than Rozier.  (Read 1125 times)

Hayward less needed than Rozier.
« on: February 08, 2019, 09:49:31 AM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Anyone disagree with this notion?

That we need Gordon Hayward more this year than Rozier?

Gordon Hayward continues to take away minutes from Jaylen Brown, Tatum and Morris, it could be as little as 3 or 4 minutes from one or two guys combined, but it's still too much.

Not because Gordon has been that atrocious, but the cohesiveness of this team is off. It improved when Smart entered the lineup, Kyrie got comfortable, even Horford got comfortable as he was also having cohesiveness issue with the starters.

Rozier has been pretty bad this year, but when he is good, he will be amazingly useful in the playoffs when defense starts to matter much more and the bench becomes really really huge.

It sucks but this team for at least this year would be much better without Hayward, and 75% of it does not have to do with losing his production, it's more about the other guys getting in a good groove with eachother, just like they did last year without Kyrie and Hayward.

If the Celtics had done a trade and got a decent playmaker and scoring point off the bench it would have been great, but now they only have Rozier. Smart will be Smart, he can only do so much in the playoffs, and he won't always be relied upon to deliver.

Hayward at his current state should not even be getting over 7 or 8 minutes a game.

The excuse is going to be that he is still productive , well , we don't need 5 assists, 5 rebounds in 25 minutes , we need 15 guaranteed aggressive points , the rest being aggressive drives which forces the opponent to change defense and make us even more dangerous. Those 5 rebounds and 5 assists could easily be distributed with players that would take his minutes.
His importance has been a failure , his impact a failure, needs to be shut down or limited until next year.

Season is quickly becoming a lost cause. Not that this team can't make a run , but man the momentum just never gets going consistantly. They get there, they look good, they play as a team, then they will have a game like yesterday where everyone looks like they are wondering this is not working out. Too many players in the hen house, and Brad has done nothing to fix it.

My guess and probably all celtic fans guess is that when the playoffs near, the rotation and minutes will get short.

BUT

It just seems like this year, its going to be much difficult given that he has the stars back , and so many options to go to. Last year was a group of guys that were good but not great, but played as a team! This year its Kyrie going to take 20 shots and bring us to the promise land. Which is fine, thats what this team needs , a closer and killer down the stretch, but it worries me that all these guys (too many) are suffering in efficiency etc.

Re: Hayward less needed than Rozier.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 09:57:22 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
He won't be good if he doesn't play.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 09:58:11 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I think Hayward has more taken the facilitator role with the second team.  He continues to make the right play.  I see flashes of when he attacks the rim.  Unfortunate he can't finish above the rim as much, but still finds a way to get a low percentage shot off when he is meet at the rim.   

I really think next year he will be close to the same player he was.    And we will have a starting 5 of

Kyrie
Smart
Hayward
Davis
AL

Diggles

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 10:00:16 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I still think that Hayward's lack of consistency/aggression is more about his fit with this team than his injury. It's tough because of his 30mil contract but I think it'd be a lot easier if he weren't in the lineup.

Who knows? Maybe clearing a few wings if we trade for AD will bring back some of his previous mojo. But then again he'd be third fiddle which may cause him to stay in his shell.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 10:04:29 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I still think that Hayward's lack of and consistency/aggression is more about his fit with this team than his injury.
Yeah, I’ve been thinking this too.  But it’s a combination in the sense that being behind the others at the start is causing him to try to catch up and fit in.

In addition, I think playing with Rozier is also hurting Hayward.  Their is no reason a Hayward should be playing PG. He has to because rozier is basically an anti-playmaker.  Give me an actual PG and Hayward would be much better.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 10:27:29 AM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Is Rozier hurting Hayward or is Hayward hurting Rozier?

Hayward is a starter paid player, he is not supposed to be playing with Rozier given how this team has been constructed. They were fine with Rozier being who he is.

Hayward has been transplanted as a bench player, and one who is playing like a back up point guard. What is the point if he is this type of player.

Rozier is painful to watch when he is missing shots, but when he is efficient and doing little things this team is very good. Same goes with Jaylen Brown, when he is doing the little things and efficient and involved this team is very good, the evidence is all over last year's run.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 10:50:34 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
I thought Gordon played hard last night or was giving effort.  It just didn't result in a significant diff in the game toward a winning cause.

Kyrie had as bad overall game as i ve seen from him any point in his career.   Earth to Kyrie ?   Maybe he had an injury?

maybe its just me , but if Gordy and Irving have a average star night , we d won that game and it would not have been within Brons reach to change it.

Seems like the constant theme since KG left ,  we never have a big healthy center .  SOS .....since CBS came

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 11:02:44 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Hayward we need to be more valuable than Rozier.

period.

Rozier takes away from Hayward, that is indisputable in my opinion.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 11:26:16 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rozier just isn't very good.  He's OK as a starter, but as a reserve I don't care for him at all.

I like the team better when Wanamaker is out there, to be honest.

The Celts need a quality backup PG more than they need Hayward, perhaps, but Hayward has a more valuable skillset than Rozier given Rozier's limitations.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 11:34:00 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Rozier just isn't very good.  He's OK as a starter, but as a reserve I don't care for him at all.

The Celts need a quality backup PG more than they need Hayward, perhaps, but Hayward has a more valuable skillset than Rozier given Rozier's limitations.

I would wager that Hayward plays better when NOT on the court with Rozier.

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 11:58:34 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I would wager that Hayward plays better when NOT on the court with Rozier.

I'm not sure about how Hayward plays with or without Rozier, but I do know that the Celtics have been much more successful this year when Hayward has been on the floor with Rozier off than when Rozier has been playing without Hayward.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 01:52:58 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
I registered just to post something similar. I also didn't like his signing or his contract before he got hurt. To me he's always been a slightly bigger Dan marjle, and I have no idea why they thought they needed to pay him 30 mill a year.

And now people want to throw Terry away to make him fit? That makes just about as much sense as always wanting to trade your players away like you have some gambling problem instead of letting last year's playoff team develope more chemistry and learn how to win a championship like basically every team that won.

Also the pelicans can keep Davis and his Lebron-lovin ass.

Haywards contract has handcuffed this team and they need to get rid of it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:59:26 PM by Triplenickle »