Author Topic: Biggest Gamble of Ainge's Career?  (Read 6402 times)

Re: Biggest Gamble of Ainge's Career?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 09:32:31 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
This stuff is why I don't like relying on the fortunes of others.  Lopez alone may be enough to bump the Lakers up out of the 2-5 range, and if they find a way to land George then we can kiss that pick goodbye. 

The '19 Kings pick is a total crapshoot.  It's an incompetent franchise, but a lot can change in two years even for Sactown.  And the Kings winning the lottery is likely our worst outcome - that probably gives us a pick in the ~20 range if Philly is good by then (and I think they will be unless these injuries bring down their frontcourt).  That's still a relatively small chance at this point, but it's real enough to worry me. 

Finger crossed that Indy tells LA to kick rocks and Brook Lopez only plays 25 games after stepping on a Lego.

Well the pick we got for trading Fultz has 3 chances to get the 2nd or 3rd pick.  The odds of us landing a top 5 pick was enhanced by adding the Lakers protected pick 2-5, and pick swap with Philly.  So if the Lakers miss the playoffs next year (which is a strong possibility by playing in the West), we do get ping pong balls to land the 2nd or 3rd pick. 

Also I don't see Philly making the playoffs in 2019.  Embid is an injury risk as is Simmons.  Fultz will not lead the team to the playoffs either.  So again Philly will have ping pong balls to land a 2 or 3 pick, in which case we can swap out the Sac pick.  The Sac pick will also be a lottery pick and we may luck out and get a 2 or 3 pick.  So basically we have 3 chances in the next two years to land the 2nd or 3rd picks in the 18 or 19 draft.

I still feel that is a fleecing by Danny.
Shots on goal...it's all about shots on goal...
Pucks on net eh?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 09:34:33 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

In the NBA, it's about the #1 overall pick.  The percentage difference is clear.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 09:54:16 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1028
So Lakers traded D'Angelo Russell and Timofey Mozgov to Brooklyn for Brook Lopez and #27.

Lakers are trying HARD to land PG13.
Brooklyn just got a lot better with Russell and Mozgov.

How did that #1 pick trade went for ya now Ainge? Lakers are going to be good next year when they land a superstar like PG13. Better trade the BKN 2018 too before it's too late. I don't see Brooklyn being bottom-dwellers next year.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 09:59:28 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
So Lakers traded D'Angelo Russell and Timofey Mozgov to Brooklyn for Brook Lopez and #27.

Lakers are trying HARD to land PG13.
Brooklyn just got a lot better with Russell and Mozgov.

How did that #1 pick trade went for ya now Ainge? Lakers are going to be good next year when they land a superstar like PG13. Better trade the BKN 2018 too before it's too late. I don't see Brooklyn being bottom-dwellers next year.
You are aware that Brooklyn gave up what was easily their best player last year correct?

The lakers were 5 points worse per 100 possessions with Russell on the floor.

Nets were 5 points better per 100 possessions with Lopez on the floor.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 10:01:17 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Okay Danny, we're ready for that other shoe to drop... anytime now...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 10:40:38 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
Danny biggest gamble? Yes, by far.

The KG and Ray Allen trades are complete opposites of this deal. In the prior transactions Danny traded away lesser talent for better talent. Especially of note, is that in both cases he acquired more accurate shooters. In the Fultz deal he trades away the consensus better player/shooter for one with poorer shooting skills, plus a (likely) lesser player to be named later. This is much more than a subtle difference.

The safer route would have been to keep Fultz. If he didn't pan out, then he could have fallen back on the excuse that he didn't live up to the hype. This way, if Fultz turns out to be a superstar, and the player he selects is not as good, then the blame will be on him and his staff. The good news is that this player should be pretty decent according to Danny and his staff. How much credit he’ll get for that is to be determined.

What makes this deal even tougher for Danny is that Fultz is going to Philadelphia. If the 76ers are healthy, then Fultz will have the advantage of playing with elite players. This should make him look even better than if he had landed in Boston. (a synergistic effect)

For example, he might be able to cheat more on defense with Embiid and Okafor beneath the basket. And, if he does have defensive deficiencies they won't be as noticeable as if he were playing here.

Add to this, Simmons looks to be a transcendent player with exceptional passing and ball handling skills. He's surely going to be able to drive to the hoop and kick it out to an open Fultz.

Saric is another star player that will mesh well with Fultz's skill set.

Markelle has the potential to be working in a well oiled system. Thus, if Philly is healthy he's going to look great. Danny has no control over that. Yet, he could end up being blamed for making it possible. This might not be fair in that most people will be comparing two players in different situations.

Boston will likely continue struggling with rebounding and shooting. Bringing in another mediocre shooter won't improve the situation. For some reason (in most cases) great offense seems to trump poor defense. Look at Isaiah, he kills the team defensively, yet he scores. So, its overlooked. When you read most of the articles on CB, they seldom mention a player's poor defense. Poor shooting is shouted out all the time. Thus, even if the player he selects is better in almost every other category....shooting is what the fans might note the most.   

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 11:03:44 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

In the NBA, it's about the #1 overall pick.  The percentage difference is clear.

The percentage difference  varies from year to year.  Not so big this year.

I see this as the safe play by Danny.   Move down in the draft because you think 3 is not that different from 1, and get a future asset that has the potential to be a very valuable pick.  Two picks give you a much higher floor, and I don't believe that we're that far off the ceiling of Fultz.

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2017, 12:03:46 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
The percentage difference  varies from year to year.  Not so big this year.

I'm going to have to assume we have a miscommunication here, because your comment makes no sense as a response to what I posted.  That being the case, have a great week!

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.