Author Topic: Would you trade #16 for Nik Stauskas?  (Read 8567 times)

Re: Would you trade #16 for Nik Stauskas?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 02:17:44 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Absolutely amazing video, TP and ty. It's too funny... I genuinely believe half of the posters here could probably do their job better, especially the small bald dude. It hurts to watch, but it's so fun.
I've watched that video about 5 times and each time I'm like, "Wait seriously... is that really how it works?"...  "Hey guys... Imma holla at Philly real quick and see if I can get Embiid... let's do it!!... Let's be brash!".. and then seconds later, "They said no.. :( ... oh well".  It's crazy.   Then if you read any of the stuff about the Kings following that (firing their coach after Cousins goes down with an injury... bringing in Vlade freakin Divac to be their GM even though they already had two guys acting as GM more or less)... it's just a complete disasaster. 

For context:  The young guys they bring in were part of some fan reach-out/marketing thing I think. They brought in fans to pitch who they thought the team should draft.  The idea was that it shows the team was being interactive with the fan community, but also thinking outside the box and listening to every possible suggestion.  I'm not sure that premise is clear in the video... but that's why those young guys come in and start pitching their draft board to the older execs.  Pretty sure those guys were selected from the "fan community".  But all the stuff later in the war room was the actual team reps making their big moves.

The young guys are pretty funny, look so clueless and insecure about their ideas. But the old balding guy is an absolute legend. He gives me the intuition that if no other amazing offers were on the table, he would flip Boogie for Smart and a pick.

How can people find those positions of power when they're so incredibly incompetent? It's jarring. I feel like I just watched an anti-America documentary or something.
Unfortunately the bald guy lost a power struggle to Vlade Divac.   Vivek Ranadive was disappointed his team wasn't a champion already, so he loaded up a copy of NBA 2k15, checked out the Sacramento King "legends" roster, pinpointed the biggest character on the court and said, "That's the guy!... Get me Vlade Divac!".... then he flew to Serbia, found a chain smoking Vlade laying around in his own waste, dragged him back to Sacramento and basically said, "Ok, this dude is in charge now".   Bald dude was like, "awww... but I thought I was in charge... :( *sniffle*"...  And Vlade is all like, "GET ME MY CIGARETTES AND PREPARE YOURSELF TO BE VLADED!!" 

That's not exactly what happened, but it sounds like that's more or less how it went down.  Basically, if you want to deal with the Kings right now, you gotta go through Vlade Divac.  I bet if things don't work out with George Karl, Vivek will bring in White Chocolate to be player-coach.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 04:28:54 AM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
no way i trade #16 for stauskas.

look past the fact that he was drafted at #9 last year and look at how good he is, and how good he is projected to be.  Even if I wanted a shooter I could get a kid at #16 who might end up in the long run just as good as stauskas, if not better, and on a cheaper contract.

RJ hunter, rashad vaughn, you could even go for sam dekker, but more to the point I think that there are a lot of players regardless of position who will be at least as good as stauskas will become... and yet they'll be on a cheaper contract.

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 06:46:32 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
TP for the video LarBrd33! Great insight on how things work behind closed doors ;D!
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 08:08:39 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
One of my preferred non-fireworks draft outcomes this year would be RJ Hunter and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (who I think ends up a better value pick than teammate Stanley Johnson) so if Hunter became Stauskas for about the same price I'd be pretty pleased (I aware either combo requires a trade up from 28).

Stauskas was one of my biggest draft binkies last year. I really wanted the C's to move up to get him 11 - 12. He struggled a lot early in his rookie season, but he surely isn't the first rookie to do that. The fact that he projects as a 6'6" player who is a good 3-pt shooter, can serve as a secondary ball handler, and can play 3 positions (although currently I think he's able to guard zero positions) makes his versatility appealing.

This is a good suggestion and one that offers an interesting option. I'm hesitant about it for a couple of mostly illogical reasons. One is that 36 hours before the draft I am so excited about the theoretical potential of all the unknown guys we'll be drafting that a more known quantity is a bit of a letdown (I also am not as down on the middle of this draft talent wise as others are). Second, the price is a little too fair with the dysfunctional Kings involved and I like to think we can get Stauskas a little cheaper by taking advantage of the Kings impatience and faciliting a 3-way trade with them, but that bias aside this deal is appealing.

I very much think we need to be involved in a trade with the Sacramento Kings this off season. There incompetence is too much of an opportunity to pass on.

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 08:21:30 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'd trade 16 for Stauskas in a heartbeat.  He'd be a great fit in Stevens offense.  He was completely misused for 2/3 of the season as a spot-up shooter only, when he's really someone who's at his best when he gets to try to create with the ball in his hand.  His defense leaves much to be desired, but there isn't anyone with his scoring potential available at 16 this draft.

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 09:07:46 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Stauskas had a disappointing rookie year, but I'd still do this trade.  I think he and Smart would pair up well. 

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 09:29:01 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
If the C's can't acquire Cousins, I'd also be very interested in them facilitating a Cousins trade with Sac-Den using the Rondo trade exception, and 2015 picks with Stauskas and Nurkic coming back as our reward for making it happen.

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hell no.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 09:47:37 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
x
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 10:06:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nope, I would not.

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 10:16:08 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Yeah, I would. He had a pretty special season 2 years ago at Michigan. He had a Reggie Miller game at times. I'm sure it is just confidence now.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 10:24:27 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
If the C's can't acquire Cousins, I'd also be very interested in them facilitating a Cousins trade with Sac-Den using the Rondo trade exception, and 2015 picks with Stauskas and Nurkic coming back as our reward for making it happen.
stauskas can be had for really cheap I think.  I don't think its unthinkable that they would take 16 for him.

Nurkic though... He was one of the better rookies last year. I think you'd have to pay a lot to get him. He's not a guy who would be thrown in to fascilitate a deal.  But maybe he would be expendable with cousins and we could get him by giving up some stuff

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 10:37:16 AM »

Offline InBradWeTrust

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
While a prolific shooter in college and certainly improved some in the 2nd half of the season I don't see his upside being worth the chance...albeit even if it's only a 10% or less chance of whomever we take at 16 turning into a star in the league.

Stauskas upside feels like a solid rotation player - something at this point the Celtics seem to have in droves.

If the Cs were in a different spot in their development or already had that IT player or players I could definitely see the value in a move like this.

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 10:52:17 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
We have a better prospect that is bolder, younger, more potential,longer, more athletic and at the  2 guard. I really can't wait to see James Young tear summer league a new one!

My literal dream would be for our summer league team to start:

Marcus Smart
James Young
Rodney Hood
Myles Turner
Robert Upshaw

But that is best case scenario. First Myles would have to fall to 12.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 02:38:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
We have a better prospect that is bolder, younger, more potential,longer, more athletic and at the  2 guard. I really can't wait to see James Young tear summer league a new one!

My literal dream would be for our summer league team to start:

Marcus Smart
James Young
Rodney Hood
Myles Turner
Robert Upshaw

But that is best case scenario. First Myles would have to fall to 12.
Help me understand why James Young is a better prospect than Nik Stauskas.   Did James Young have a better rookie season?   Was he more impressive?   Young was taken 9 picks after Stauskas and barely even got on an NBA court in year 1.   

If James Young played for another team, I'm pretty certain that If I brought up the idea of trading for him, some guys here would say, "No way I'd take James Young even if they gave him away for free... dude is worthless".   How do you guys feel about Tyler Ennis?  That's how fans of other teams feel about James Young.