Author Topic: Pacers owner OKs trade for Lance Stephenson if Larry Bird wants to do it  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I just found this and think it's relevant to all proposals concerning Lance Stephenson.

The Hornets are off to a horrendous 6-18 start, and it’s all Lance Stephenson’s fault.

Or something like that.

Their issue run deeper than the non-star Stephenson, but he’s an easy scapegoat. So, everyone is throwing mud (some of it right at Stephenson) to see what sticks.

The Hornets reportedly want to trade him. Other teams reportedly want to trade for him.

One of those teams: the Pacers, who employed Stephenson for his first four seasons.

Candace Buckner of The Indianapolis Star:

Indiana Pacers owner Herb Simon said he would personally be fine with bringing back Lance Stephenson in a trade, however the judgment would be up to the front office.

“I’d be OK with it but it’s not up to me. Larry (Bird) has to decide if he fits,” Simon told The Star
Several deciding factors would determine the Pacers’ interest in Stephenson, said Simon, and a huge consideration would be chemistry.

“First of all, we don’t know if they’re really trading him, at least I don’t know,” Simon said about the Hornets. “I know they made some calls and we would have to (figure out) how he fits back into the team. Those are all basketball decisions and Larry and Kevin (Pritchard) are the best to answer that.

Yesterday was the first day the Hornets could have traded Stephenson, and it already seems he’s worn out his welcome. in Charlotte It wouldn’t be a surprise if the Pacers – from Larry Bird to Frank Vogel to Roy Hibbert – look at the mess there and determine they’ve had enough of Stephenson. There was certainly some foreshadowing when they made measured attempts to keep him in free agency this summer.

But Indiana, specifically Bird, provided Stephenson a safety net he doesn’t have with the Hornets. Stephenson returning to the Pacers could work out, and it’s interesting Simon is allowing for the possibility.

After the Malice at The Palace, the Pacers deconstructed a very good team. This is an owner conscious of how his team presents itself to the public, and he’s indicating there’s at least a chance Stephenson can fit within his desired image.

I don’t think people understand how crucial ownership is to a team’s decision-making, though the situation in Sacramento is sure opening eyes to the other side of it. A Stephenson-back-to-Indiana deal doesn’t get off the ground without Simon’s approval.

But if he’s open to it…

I tried to replicate the quoted text within the article, lol ;D.  Btw, welcome to the Rajon Rondo club, Lance, lol.  It's all your fault.  EVERYTHING is all your fault ;) ::) ;D.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/16/pacers-owner-oks-trade-for-lance-stephenson-if-larry-bird-wants-to-do-it/

Re: Pacers owner OKs trade for Lance Stephenson if Larry Bird wants to do it
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:32:43 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Henderson and Stephenson for West works.  Gives  the Hornets a really nice PF to play with Jefferson.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2978
Henderson and Stephenson for West works.  Gives  the Hornets a really nice PF to play with Jefferson.

How dumb would that make Larry and the Pacers look, though? They could've had Lance all along, but they played hardball and lost him and will have to give up an asset to get him back.

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 08:55:01 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

How dumb would that make Larry and the Pacers look, though? They could've had Lance all along, but they played hardball and lost him and will have to give up an asset to get him back.

They may look quite smart. They might get a first to get him back, or at least that's what's been reported as teams have been asking to take him on. That would be some dumb luck.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 10:17:06 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Hill, Scola, and Miles for Lance, Henderson, and Brian Roberts.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6539079

This then clears the way for Larry to trade Hibbert for Rondo:-)))

Smitty77

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 10:21:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
To Bobcats: Copeland, CJ Miles
To Pacers:  Stephenson

prob something like this

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 11:12:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1784
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I just can't see it - Larry and Vogel probably wish that Simon had not talked publicly about the possibility of Lance returning to Indy.

Lance has had a couple very nice seasons (and post-seasons) lately, but it seems like all they need is a capable PG (not too difficult in today's NBA) and they should be okay once George comes back. I would find it crazy if Indy brought back Lance - a) they could have kept him on a reasonable contract, but chose not to (and now he is performing much worse), and b) the players (ie Hibbert) on the team may not welcome him back with open arms.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 08:15:38 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561

The Pacers offered Lance more money per year than the Hornets, it was just one less year.  Lance just wanted out of there so he left. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 08:52:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Pacers also signed several other players after Lance dithered and sought more money. To the point where he'd have pushed him into the tax, I'm not sure that offer was still on the table at that point.