Author Topic: Trade Idea: Bass to Atlanta  (Read 3792 times)

Trade Idea: Bass to Atlanta
« on: July 16, 2013, 08:36:02 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
With most of the better free agents having already agreed with teams, it looks like the Atlanta Hawks are going to either go with a bunch of vet minimum contracts or maybe use their cap room to get some bench assets, They need backup bigs and a small forward. So why not something like:

Boston sends Brandon Bass

Atlanta sends DeShawn Stephenson, Shelvin Mack, Mike Scott, small TPE

All the players coming in from Atlanta are non-guaranteed contracts and can be cut immediately cutting the Celtics salary some $6 million for next year and another $6 million the year after. It reduces the logjam at PF for the Celtics and it gives the Hawks a more than capable back up for Paul Milsap for a couple year without killing their cap flexibility(they already did that by signing Korver to a 4 year $24 million deal and matching Jeff Teague's 4 year $32 million deal).

Re: Trade Idea: Bass to Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:41:14 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
They just signed Elton Brand as one of their backup bigs.

Doubtful they have enough of a need anymore to take on Bass' contract.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 08:48:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

That and I have no idea why they would make that trade even if they hadn't.  It is a horrible trade for Atlanta.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 08:51:12 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Yes but that gives them exactly 4 bigs at the moment(Horford, Millsap, Brand, Noguiera). Pachulia went to the Bucks. The Hawks released Tolliver and Ivan Johnson. They could still use some players up front. I don't think the Brand signing, especially now that he's pretty much exclusively a center, precludes them from wanting to add some quality depth up front.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:52:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

That and I have no idea why they would make that trade even if they hadn't.  It is a horrible trade for Atlanta.
How so? Clearly they are getting the best player in the trade.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 09:18:40 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

How so? Clearly they are getting the best player in the trade.
I don't see this as a bad deal for Atlanta either, especially since they're not giving up anyone of any real value nor are they giving up a pick. 

I'm not enamored with the deal for the C's.  I'd like to get something better than just salary relief for Bass. 

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 09:54:09 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
With Horford, Milsap and Brand they really dont need a player with Bass's skill set.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 09:57:42 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I really don't want to help the Hawks next year, since we get the worse of the Nets/Hawks pick in 2014.  Most likely it will be the Nets pick but with a couple key injuries you never know.

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 10:47:34 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
While Bass' contract seems like a bad contract for the celtics, it's not for other teams.  If Bass were on the open market, he would very likely get a bigger contract than 2 years $12 mil.  So, if a team could trade away essentially nothing for him, that's a huge win for that team.

The problem with Atlanta, as stated, is this team is in much more need of a wing than a 4th big.  Even if Brand is exclusively a center, when Millsap subs out, they can slide Horford to 4 and Brand at 5.

I think Bass should be considered a desirable player to have for any team in the East with plans on going to the playoffs for the way he can guard Lebron and Melo when either team tries to play small ball.

I think Atlanta should at least think about it, but they should really be going after a wing (esp if trading away Stevenson).  Would they trade that same package for Courtney Lee?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 11:09:38 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I'm very luke-warm on Bass. I don't love him but he is a solid role player. Funny thing is, talking to other fans of different teams they think his deal is just god awful.

Not sure Atlanta needs him however.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Yes but that gives them exactly 4 bigs at the moment(Horford, Millsap, Brand, Noguiera). Pachulia went to the Bucks. The Hawks released Tolliver and Ivan Johnson. They could still use some players up front. I don't think the Brand signing, especially now that he's pretty much exclusively a center, precludes them from wanting to add some quality depth up front.
Mike Scott is a PF, isn't he?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip