Author Topic: NBA takes legal action against locked-out players  (Read 1221 times)

NBA takes legal action against locked-out players
« on: August 02, 2011, 12:40:14 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Wow.  The NBA owners ain't footin' around:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2011/08/02/nba_takes_legal_action_against_locked_out_players/?p1=Upbox_links

Who knew they could make the NFL owners look like cuddly pushovers?

FWIW, since the players already volunteered to drop their cut a few % from 57% and the owners I believe have said they want it down to 45%, I don't see why they can't fast forward to 50% and let the owners duke it among themselves as to how much revenue sharing they want.

And yes, I am already paying more attention to the Patriots this year!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:45:05 PM by wdleehi »

Re: NBA takes legal action against locked-out players
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 02:19:32 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This really is meaningless.  It is nothing more than a response by the owners to the petition the players have already filed accusing the owners of the exact same thing.

As far as the union de-certifying, I can't possibly see how it could be deemed illegal.

Basically, this was just posturing, as I doubt the labor board will rule on either sides accusations.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 02:30:41 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 83
The only thing the NFL and NBA have in common are they are professional sports with unions.  It ends there.  The NFL is wildly profitable with even bad teams being popular in their local regions.  The TV contract money is much larger.  There are no guaranteed contracts.  Why did their issues settle so quickly?  Because it was truly in the best interst of both profitable owners and players. 

In the NBA you have teams losing money, teams that struggle financially, and too many bad contracts that are all guaranteed.  Just forget for a minute who's fault that is; it doesn't matter because the probelm exists no matter who caused it.  If you want to blame the owners for overspending just remember they are mandated to spend a certain amount on players. 

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 02:41:42 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
if the owners want to cut salary so bad, they should let them decertify and hire different players.

would actually prefer seeing the best play elsewhere at this point.  

NBA players shouldn't have to bail out
billionaire owners who can't keep their spending under control --
and NO,
it's not the player salaries they overspend on,
those have risen at the exact rate that BRI has...

It's the operational costs that ownership have let sky rocket since the last CBA
(fancy jumbotrons, dance teams, private jets, corprate banquets etc etc)