Author Topic: The Grizz tanked to play the Spurs?  (Read 4511 times)

The Grizz tanked to play the Spurs?
« on: April 21, 2011, 01:35:03 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

That was the word from Reggie Millers mouth tonight during the Lakers game 38 minutes in.

So it got me on the case.

They played us well the last couple of games," Duncan said Friday. "They feel they match up well against us. They chose to play us, they got us, and we'll see what happens."

Spurs guard George Hill noticed, too.

"I don't know why they want us so bad," Hill said. "It was 2-2 (in the regular season). That's 50 percent. But if they want to take their chances against us, bring it, I guess."

Cool stuff. I'd love to see the Grizz with Tony made in Boston Allen showing the how do get dirty.

We miss you Tony.

Oh and "Bring it I guess" is not real tough talk there Georgie

Re: The Grizz tanked to play the Spurs?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 01:44:06 AM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
haha i love george hill.

i think he was just kidding with that "bring it" comment though

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:24:11 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2438
Memphis didn't tank to purposely land the Spurs. They were resting their guys to be healthy in the first round.

But everyone thought they were tanking and word passed around the league ... from the media to the Spurs and back to the media again ... and here we are.

With a whole bunch of people thinking Memphis did something that they didn't do.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 09:38:46 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd do it, which is what makes me think they did it

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 09:42:56 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

Which is fair logic, but really does nothing for your point but just say what you would have done.....

I mean, are the Grizz really scared of Pau Gasol? Hornets don't seem to be.

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 09:47:30 AM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
Usually the Spurs are a stronger playoff team than they are a regular season team.

Due to their shift into the 3-point game, good defenses can take advantage of the Spurs in the playoffs.

A young and inexperienced Grizzlies team is doing pretty darn well so far. The series could go 7 games.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 10:12:55 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Which is fair logic, but really does nothing for your point but just say what you would have done.....

I think it's more a desire to play Duncan/Parker instead of Kobe/Pau

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:13:40 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1038
They have a nice little team in Memphis. They got big bodies in Randolph and Gasol, a great wing defender in TA, and Conley has been playing well.

They will give San Antonio problems (but ultimately lose in all likelihood), but I think they match up better against LA.

That would have been a good series.

People want to talk about the Celtics struggles, but the Fakers are having a tougher time with NO. Chris Paul looked great in the first game. He wasn't as good in the second (20 pts/9 ast), but he completely took Kobe out of his offensive game.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Memphis didn't tank to purposely land the Spurs. They were resting their guys to be healthy in the first round.

But everyone thought they were tanking and word passed around the league ... from the media to the Spurs and back to the media again ... and here we are.

With a whole bunch of people thinking Memphis did something that they didn't do.

They sat Randolph, Allen, and Conley in the last game against the Clips that determined whether they played the Spurs or the Lakers.  Then they promptly went down by 29 at halftime. 

Given that none of the three had any specific reported injury that I'm aware of, it's hard to say that seeding didn't play a role in their decision.  Hollins stammering and stumbling his way through an "explanation" during the mid-game interview didn't help a lot either.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 10:25:11 AM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

They sat Randolph, Allen, and Conley in the last game against the Clips that determined whether they played the Spurs or the Lakers.  Then they promptly went down by 29 at halftime. 

Given that none of the three had any specific reported injury that I'm aware of, it's hard to say that seeding didn't play a role in their decision.  Hollins stammering and stumbling his way through an "explanation" during the mid-game interview didn't help a lot either.

If all it takes, is sitting your starters during a game that may end up deciding your seeding, then I guess the celtics tanked to get the Knicks too  ::)

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 10:34:42 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

If all it takes, is sitting your starters during a game that may end up deciding your seeding, then I guess the celtics tanked to get the Knicks too  ::)

Thank you for oversimplifying what I said and then rolling your eyes at it, but seedings were already effectively set when we sat our guys - I think Miami may have needed one more win (which they easily got) when we sat em against Washington. 

In Memphis' case every other relevant game had already been played, and their seed hinged entirely on whether they beat or lost to the Clippers.  At that point they announced they'd be sitting 3 of their best players.  There's a reason this seemed intentional to so many people.

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 10:52:29 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
Oh and "Bring it I guess" is not real tough talk there Georgie

Haha, the SA core guys have performed mighty well in the playoffs without really ever showing the slightest hint of verbal toughness.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 10:54:59 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Reggie Miller is dumb.

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 12:01:43 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

I think it's more a desire to play Duncan/Parker instead of Kobe/Pau

yup, defending 2-time champs don't lose in the 1st round

of course they angled to play SA

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 12:29:37 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Reggie Miller is dumb.
Ha who heard him thinking he is Kobe?  "That's a bad call.  You've got to give me that - I mean you've got to give Kobe Bryant that space."
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale