Author Topic: NBA League Pass, Cable or Broadband  (Read 2639 times)

NBA League Pass, Cable or Broadband
« on: October 07, 2010, 05:44:48 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
So my slingbox died, and I am looking into maybe getting the league pass this season instead of getting a new slingbox. I have a few questions for those of you that use NBA LP for both cable/dish vs. broadband.

For Cable/Sat:
How many of the games are actually in HD a week? (I use TimeWarner NYC if that helps at all.)
When the game is over, how long does the broadcast continue, meaning will I be able to watch any post game stuff, or pre game for that matter.

For Broadband:
How is the video quality, is it anywhere near HD or is it more like streaming a Slingbox, or general videos?
Do you ever have any trouble connecting, do games with marquee teams ever slow down?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Re: NBA League Pass, Cable or Broadband
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 05:51:11 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3072
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I've had NBALP a few years or so as far as I know broadcasts always start and end as soon as the game begins and ends. I have never seen any pre or postgame stuff aside from the occasional few minute coach interview before tipoff.

as far as Broadband got that one year as well and while it doesnt look terrible the quality isnt that great. Definitely doesnt look HD id go as far to say regular SD on your tv looks a lot better.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 06:09:02 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
TP, thanks for the info.

One more question, how many games a week would you say are broadcasted in HD on League Pass for cable? Is it just a couple a night, and everything else is SD, thanks.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 06:33:18 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1039
So my slingbox died, and I am looking into maybe getting the league pass this season instead of getting a new slingbox. I have a few questions for those of you that use NBA LP for both cable/dish vs. broadband.

For Cable/Sat:
How many of the games are actually in HD a week? (I use TimeWarner NYC if that helps at all.)
When the game is over, how long does the broadcast continue, meaning will I be able to watch any post game stuff, or pre game for that matter.

For Broadband:
How is the video quality, is it anywhere near HD or is it more like streaming a Slingbox, or general videos?
Do you ever have any trouble connecting, do games with marquee teams ever slow down?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I have Time Warner in NYC (Staten Island) so I can tell you exactly what you can expect.

The broadcast begins like 5-10 minutes before the game, so you get the opening tidbits with Mike/Tommy, Mike's interview with Doc, a quick rundown of the opponent, etc. It ends within minutes after the game, usually after the post-game interview on the court from one of the players.

Last season they went to a generic NBATV halftime show that is clearly outdated (like they talk about last weeks stuff), rather annoying actually. I sometimes DVR the game and start it like a half hour after to get past the horrible halftime segment.

HD games last season were at most two a night, usually a 7-7:30pm game then a west coast game, but sometimes just one. Last season very few Celtics games were on the HD channel, and the ones that were were either Knicks or Nets games that get blacked out for us.

If you have a really good LCD/LED TV (don't know about a plasma), the standard-definition games are pretty awful.

With the LP you also get the broadband as well. I used it a few times when I was out of town, and it was decent. If you have a larger screen, it may be very pixelated.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 06:36:17 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3072
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
TP, thanks for the info.

One more question, how many games a week would you say are broadcasted in HD on League Pass for cable? Is it just a couple a night, and everything else is SD, thanks.
Lots of games say they are in HD and seem to be from the original broadcast, but with my darn cable company all the league pass channels are in SD so thats how they appear...not sure if this year will be any different I doubt it. As far as NBATV last year it was finally available in my area in HD so all those game are high def.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 01:26:01 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
Thanks a lot guys, awesome info. TP's around.

Guess I'll just get it for cable, and use the broadband from time to time since it's included.

I do have a large screen but watching in SD is better than not watching at all.