Author Topic: Greatest Starting 5... ever?  (Read 15052 times)

Re: Greatest Starting 5... ever?
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2010, 11:41:52 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Wilt was more talented than Russell, but if the two players switched teams, the Celts would have won less titles and the Sixers would have won more.  Russell enjoyed doing the dirty work.  Wilt could do it, but he didnt' love it like Russell did.

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2010, 12:29:03 AM »

Kiorrik

Can I just have MJ in it 5 times?

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2010, 09:21:28 AM »

Offline ram

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Bill is on record as saying Wilt was better then him as well.
--------------------------
I doubt that very much-I've read everything book Russell wrote-Russell lets his accomplishments speak for themselves and refuses to get into "greatest ever" debates. In "Go Up for Glory" Russell named his all time best 5 and left the center position blank.

My paraphrased quote (from my previous post, quoting Wilt saying Russell was better) came from a show I saw long after they both retired

He was asked the "greatest ever" question when the NBA picked their "50 gretest ever" and his answer was (again paraphrasing here), "You can't say who's the greatest ever-you can watch a player and say, No one can play better than that. For example, when Oscar Robertson was in his prime, no one played better than him. Some guys might play as well, but none could play better."

I agree with Russell. But his 11 championships put him in a category all by himself because he was the one constant in that amazing 13 year run and I watched him play numerous game 7's and come up big in each one of them.

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2010, 12:35:41 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
The simple reality is the Philladelphia teams he was on were by and large lacking sufficient talent to win championships so his owner anted Wilt to just go out and score and put butts in the seats.  It was also the only way Philly had any shot of winning a title.

Arguably, that was the case with the Philadelphia Warriors teams he was on (although Paul Arizin was no slouch).  However, you're not arguing that the Sixers teams he was on weren't good enough to win a title, are you?  As mentioned earlier, those were some dang good teams, filled with Hall of Fame teammates.
Sure and he won a title in his three seasons.  In 65-66 the Sixers had 3 HOFers, Wilt, Greer, and Cunningham (as a rookie).  Cunningham missed a playoff game to boot.  The Celtics team that beat the Sixers had 4 HOFers all in their prime.  The 67-68 Sixers team still had the same 3 HOFers (though Cunningham played only 3 games in the playoffs - the team played 13), while the Celtics team that beat them still had 4 HOFers (and that doesn't count embry who was inducted as a contributor). 

Teammates matter.  Bill always had far superior teammates.  I don't think that can be argued. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2010, 12:43:41 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Magic, Jordan, Bird, Duncan, Russell

First guys off the bench would be Kevin McHale and Oscar Robertson.

Props to Pippen for naming three Celts to his all-time team.

Pistol Pete, Michael Jordan, Dr. J, Kevin Garnett, Bill Russell

We are going to run, run, and then run.  Bird will be Duncan will only be crossing half court when we score.

Havlicek and Baylor come off the bench.

Kobe might play small forward instead of Erving.  But I like the Maravich to Jordan or Dr. J on the break!

Why Maravich?  If you're running a fast break offense, I think you could do better with a point guard.

(He was a heck of a scorer, though.)

Pistol's real position was point guard.  Atlanta moved him to shooting guard due to their need for revenue and marketing.

When Dr. J. played with him( prior to Atlanta being extorted by the NBA owners to give up on Erving)  Dr. J said, to paraphrase a quote "he was simply the best passer I have ever seen".  Tommy H (Heinson) once told me that he had coveted Maravich to run the 70's Celtics break for many years.
And go watch Auerbach on "Red on Roundball".  Auerbach felt the Maravich kid was "the most skilled guard with the ball he had ever seen.  

Yeah I'll take the Pistol at pointguard,  and see if Bird and Duncan can get back in time to see the ball go through the net.

(though I'll admit, I would love to see KG battle Duncan
and Bird and Erving go at it. )

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2010, 03:35:34 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Pistol Pete, Jordan, Bird, KG, Russel
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Rondo
Allen
Pierce
KG
Shaq
 ;D
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2010, 04:37:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

My four Birds + one Russell lineup would beat you by double digits. ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2010, 09:49:54 PM »

Kiorrik

My four Birds + one Russell lineup would beat you by double digits. ;)
WHO ARE YOU!?! I HATE NEWBIES!!!