Author Topic: Nets: the forgotten team  (Read 2547 times)

Nets: the forgotten team
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:57:12 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
so the Nets are left hanging without anyone to pay but Travis Outlaw - they don't even have a GM after next week

but that's ok - I think that GM job would be about as attractive as they come - if I was a GM candidate I'd be falling all over myself to go there

a) solid point guard and very good center in place
b) tons of cap room flexibility
c) super-rich owner willing to spend
d) Going to Brooklyn - great market
e) Jay-Z!

I think they should take the Sam Presti approach and build slowly through the draft and by taking advantage of teams looking to dump payroll.  Then when they are primed, they can make a huge splash like Danny did trading for the perfect final touches.

they were left out of the dance this offseason but they could still be primed for the future
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: Nets: the forgotten team
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:13:50 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Think they'll hire Kevin Pritchard?  That's more-or-less the model that the Blazers employed.  Build up through the draft, keep your flexibility, make a few trades and signings for vets to flesh things out.  Remains to be seen whether The Russian Cuban will have the patience for that approach, though.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:22:23 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
so the Nets are left hanging without anyone to pay but Travis Outlaw - they don't even have a GM after next week

but that's ok - I think that GM job would be about as attractive as they come - if I was a GM candidate I'd be falling all over myself to go there

a) solid point guard and very good center in place
b) tons of cap room flexibility
c) super-rich owner willing to spend
d) Going to Brooklyn - great market
e) Jay-Z!

I think they should take the Sam Presti approach and build slowly through the draft and by taking advantage of teams looking to dump payroll.  Then when they are primed, they can make a huge splash like Danny did trading for the perfect final touches.

they were left out of the dance this offseason but they could still be primed for the future

I agree!  I think they're in great shape.  They just need to be patient.  They're not going to win a ton of games this year and they're going to pick up another solid player in the draft.  Go to Brooklyn add one major star to the mix and one minor star via free agency and they're all set.....Maybe they'll get hold of Chris Paul to go with Lopez and Favors up front.....

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:23:25 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
That is what I'd like to see the Nets do now too.

Unfortunately, it looks like they are panicking and rushing into whatever FA signings (Travis Outlaw for $35 million??) they can get their hands on. I think they're going to make this situation worse for themselves before FA ends.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 09:58:26 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Just keep acquiring "assets" and cap space...  I think the Outlaw signing was dumb, because IMO they really overpaid for him. 

But they can't panic and do anything stupid, which is their greatest temptation at this point.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:01:51 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Wow, that Russian dude sure is cool...

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
They also have that kid from Orlando that isn't too bad.  I think the Outlaw signing was a little extravagent but it was probably only a little over a miller per season more than he is worth.  He has the capability to score mainly from the perimeter and this is a needed skill in the NBA.  Plus it wasn't like Mike Miller would have signed with a non-contender for 5 million per season so you have to overpay a little when you are a team like the Nets.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 10:10:20 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 10:12:02 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Wow, the Nets made out worse than every other team this week, except maybe the Knicks who didn't seem to upgrade themselves much at all for the coming season.  Amare isn't all that much better than Lee, and Randolph probably has a nice future, but I think the team wanted to do well this coming year.
The Nets added zilch!

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 10:17:26 AM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
Wow, the Nets made out worse than every other team this week, except maybe the Knicks who didn't seem to upgrade themselves much at all for the coming season.  Amare isn't all that much better than Lee, and Randolph probably has a nice future, but I think the team wanted to do well this coming year.
The Nets added zilch!

I think the difference is the Nets expectations were low so they loase nothing.  The Knicks put all their eggs into the Lebron basket and now they have Amare.  Somewhere Isaiah Thomas is smiling with both his middle fingers up and facing Madison Square Garden.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 10:25:14 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
They're looking at RFA Tyrus Thomas:

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68012/20100709/nets_could_make_tyrus_thomas_front_loaded_offer/

Interesting...

This is a temptation I think the Nets should resist. Let Favors play and grow. Why pay a guy to play the same position? Save the money for Melo.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 10:29:11 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Favors is an absolute monster. Now that they lose out on Lebron they need to sit on their hands and look to acquire a swing who can create his own shot.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 11:08:44 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I didnt even hear anyone mention the Nets all week. They definitely got screwed over big time. So much for that guarantee for making the playoffs in 3 to 5 years Mr. Russian.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 11:18:23 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I didnt even hear anyone mention the Nets all week. They definitely got screwed over big time. So much for that guarantee for making the playoffs in 3 to 5 years Mr. Russian.

Oh, they can make the PLAYOFFS in three to five years.  If they spend the rest of their cap space this summer wisely, they might be able to make the playoffs next year. 

If they're looking at winning a title...  the OKC/Portland models (which make the most sense) do take time.  Gotta acquire picks and develop talent.  Remains to be seen how patient he'll be.

At the very least, they should be able to be a competitive squad by the time they move to Brooklyn.  Assume Devin Harris doesn't stop regressing, Brook Lopez keeps emerging, Favors does prove to be a good building block...  maybe someone like Courtney Lee or Outlaw steps up their game.  Maybe they can pluck Big Al Jeff from Minny's paws for not much cost. 

They could be a very good, young team in two years.  Lots just depends on how much their young talent develops.