Author Topic: Does it look like the starters are running out of gas?  (Read 5048 times)

Re: Does it look like the starters are running out of gas?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 02:30:14 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
TP for a great post, SFCelticFan.
Agreed and welcome to the board SFCelticFan.  I've also been a C's fan since around 1980.  Us older dudes have a lot of wisdom to contribute.  ;-)

I defrinitely agree about the standing around on offence.  It is painful to watch.  Pushing the tempo would indeed neutalize the Lakers muscle.  This is why Rondo is so important, but he's clearly gassed at this point in the playoffs.  Guys like Baby, Tony Allen, and Nate are fresh and like you said, they are adding a dimension that the Lakers are not expecting.  Tonight's win was about energy and desire, not talent.

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 03:37:16 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3071
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
TP for a great post, SFCelticFan.
isnt it FLCelticsFan?? wait huh  :o ;D
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 03:57:20 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 763
for those of you who have played the game, you know that fatigue is what causes bad shooting .........

when your shooting base - legs and feet - are rested and have plenty of fuel in those mitochondria inside the muscle, then the muscle moves smoothly with definitive power and also with the finer precision needed for the crucial skill of hand/eye coordination. all of these are required for effective offensive play...

so i say all those close misses where layups are barely rolling off the rim or post up shots or rebound putbacks are bouncing around the rim and falling off and not falling in are the result of a tired Boston Celtic team - tired physically, but also mentally.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 04:41:04 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I think fatigue definitel played a part in all these missed bunnie. That's why I'm glad the teams have 3 days of rest before game 5, we needed an extended rest badly (especially Ray).

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 07:37:20 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I don't think they are out of gas at all. They just really look tight. And to be honest, Rondo looked like he was playing a little scared or timid tonight, which is why he did not finish several layups.

Totally agree. The pressure got to them even though they were playing at home. I think losing game3 hurt their spirits. Like you said they seemed very tense

Rondo's atrocious foul shooting is really impacting his game. Given the improvement he's made in other facets of his game, that has to change over the summer. You can't be a star at the point shooting fouls like Shaq.

The rest of them, I agree, have some issues with fatigue and nervousness. But fatigue isn't exclusive to the Celtics
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 08:03:09 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I don't think they are out of gas at all. They just really look tight. And to be honest, Rondo looked like he was playing a little scared or timid tonight, which is why he did not finish several layups.

Totally agree. The pressure got to them even though they were playing at home. I think losing game3 hurt their spirits. Like you said they seemed very tense

Rondo's atrocious foul shooting is really impacting his game. Given the improvement he's made in other facets of his game, that has to change over the summer. You can't be a star at the point shooting fouls like Shaq.

The rest of them, I agree, have some issues with fatigue and nervousness. But fatigue isn't exclusive to the Celtics

Yea Kobe and Gasol looked very tired in the 4th as well.  I think Phil made a mistake leaving them in the entire second half.  Then when the Celtics bench played well it kept him from giving them a breather.  I don't think there 43 minutes in game 4 will affect them in game 5 since they get 2 days off this time around.  But in generally no one looks more tired than the other.  A lot of shots were hitting the front of the rim.

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 08:33:22 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

He's actually shooting worse than Shaq. :o
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 08:46:05 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
I think the starters do get low on gas.  There is no coasting in the finals.  It's all out on every play.  Of course they can't play with 100% effort the whole game.  Paul has looked exhausted at times.  KG has looked tired too- he may not even be conditioned to play huge minutes anymore.  And even a young guy like Rondo is asked to do so much that he can't do it at 100% for a whole game.  Rondo looks better after watching Nate for a while.  He comes in and steals the ball and gets every rebound for like 3 consecutive minutes.
Absolutely they play better with more rest.  And even if you think they don't look great due to jitters, the solution is playing the bench more.  Guys like Nate, Baby and Rasheed are so crazy, the jitters don't even affect them.

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 737
  • MASTER OF PANIC
not worried at all..boston is getting GREAT looks and left prolly 10-12 bunnies on the rim. those will fall. pierce is getting back...ray looks like he is coming around and KG looks much better. i expect rondo to finish the 8 lay ups he missed sunday