Author Topic: Skills for sucess: Perk's Sky Hook or Rondo's "A' Toney" Jumper  (Read 1867 times)

Skills for sucess: Perk's Sky Hook or Rondo's "A' Toney" Jumper
« on: November 24, 2009, 11:07:11 AM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
All and all, if you had a choice which would you prefer...

Perkins develops a killer Sky Hook, thus forcing perpetual help defense every time the ball is in his hands for either the patented Kareem play or a kick out to a shooter (whomever it may be at the time) or a back cutter to Pierce for a slash to the rim.

Rondo can do a pull up jumper like former Celt's Killer, Andrew Toney, thus forcing a man to constantly cover him for the entire length of the game. This will allow periodic 30 pt outings from RR at 55+ FG% when the rest of the C's are slumping from the field. And of course, in a normal game... 18 pts, 12 assists, 2 steals, 2 boards.

Re: Skills for sucess: Perk's Sky Hook or Rondo's "A' Toney" Jumper
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Rondo having a respectible jumps shot is so much more valuable.  It would make leaving Rondo open on the outside a mistake. 

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 11:10:04 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Rondo having a respectible jumps shot is so much more valuable.  It would make leaving Rondo open on the outside a mistake. 
Spacing of the floor is huge. When we play Rondo he has to constantly sneak into the paint weakside to force teams to guard him.

If his jumper was respectable our offense would be the best in the league.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 12:02:49 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Spacing of the floor is huge. When we play Rondo he has to constantly sneak into the paint weakside to force teams to guard him.

If his jumper was respectable our offense would be the best in the league.

Imagine how much easier it would be for him to drive into the paint if he had a respectable jump shot.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 12:13:01 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Not to mention that a team could resort to a hack-a-perk strategy to try to negate that advantage, whereas if Rondo became a good shooter there would be no way to stop him.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 12:25:44 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
As constructed, it we are to compete in the future, BOTH of these would have to happen.

For this year's team Ill go with Rondo's jumper for all the reasons listed above.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 02:58:27 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Not to mention that a team could resort to a hack-a-perk strategy to try to negate that advantage, whereas if Rondo became a good shooter there would be no way to stop him.

I'm wondering when the Hack-a-Rondo strategy is going to start kicking in... The guy is shooting 33% from the line this year.

How many GM's have deleted Mark Price from their Blackberries so far this season?  ;D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:03:53 PM by Jsaad »

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 03:58:13 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games

I'm wondering when the Hack-a-Rondo strategy is going to start kicking in... The guy is shooting 33% from the line this year.

How many GM's have deleted Mark Price from their Blackberries so far this season?  ;D

If I were on the opposing team this would be a huge weakness that I would take not of and use in the right situation.  I certainly think in playoff end-of-the-game situations you will see teams hoping the ball ends up in Rondo's hands so they can quick foul.  I think the first smart coach we go against that has an appropriate scenario to do so will employ the hack-a-Rondo approach.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 04:01:39 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
All and all, if you had a choice which would you prefer...

Perkins develops a killer Sky Hook, thus forcing perpetual help defense every time the ball is in his hands for either the patented Kareem play or a kick out to a shooter (whomever it may be at the time) or a back cutter to Pierce for a slash to the rim.

Rondo can do a pull up jumper like former Celt's Killer, Andrew Toney, thus forcing a man to constantly cover him for the entire length of the game. This will allow periodic 30 pt outings from RR at 55+ FG% when the rest of the C's are slumping from the field. And of course, in a normal game... 18 pts, 12 assists, 2 steals, 2 boards.
I think not only would Rondo adding a jumper be helpful, I feel it is far more likely than Perk developing a sky hook. A good sky hook is usually a fluid movement that I frankly don't believe Perk is capable of. However, lots of players have come into the league without a jump shot and then developed one.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19