Author Topic: LeGarrette Blount's Blunder (merged)  (Read 11986 times)

Re: Blounts Blunder
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 09:32:09 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
He's obviously a good guy

That's absurd. He's not "obviously a good guy." What in god's name would make you think that sucker punching a player on the opposing team, taunting or not (and Blount did PLENTY of taunting--publicly, I might add--prior to the game) makes it obvious that someone is a "good guy?"

That's right, good. Flip out on the internet. Let the scorn course through you.

He started crying--he was repentant. People have different backgrounds and have learned to respond to adversity in different ways. Just because he did something that average, every-day"white bread" suburban people would never do, he becomes an object of scorn and derision. We all make mistakes. It just so happens that the guys who follow football and run football are especially intolerant about this sort of thing.

Tony Skinn from GMU punched a guy in the balls. He was a senior, too. He got suspended one game. Practically everything about they're situations are comprable--the only signifiant difference between the two is the sports themselves, and what kind of people follow them and run them.

I have a friend who was involved in a similar incident. He was at a bar with another friend of mine, a smaller guy who likes to dress....oddly. At this bar, some guys from a sports team from my old school kind of ganged up on my smaller friend, pushing him around, knocking his drink out of his hand, throwing homophobic slurs at him...my other friend (the one not being picked on) wasn't around it, so he couldn't do anything to stop it.

The bouncers saw it and threw my one friend out, my other friend left with him.

then, about an hour later (roughly 2am), my other smaller friend left to go home while my larger, tougher friend went to a popular late night food spot. While in line, two of the guys that were picking on my smaller friend were directly behind my larger friend. They were saying how its"a good thing that (homophobic slur) got kicked out of the bar, because if he would've been there another 5 mins they would've beaten the crap out of him. My bigger friend turned around and asked these guys why they would do that. They respond that it was because he was a (homophobic slur), and they do the same thing to you (meaning my bigger friend) if he had a problem with it.

Turns out he did have a problem with that. He threw one single punch at the larger of the two guys.

That punch broke the kid's jaw in two places, the guy spent months with his mouth wired shut.

My friend, he was a student teacher at the time. The other guy pressed charges. He lost his student teaching position, he was expelled from school, he was put on 3 years probation (could not leave the county to pursue another teaching position), and he had a felony on his record, so he had no shot at getting in another program. He pours concrete now.

Could he have acted differently? Sure. Could he have been more prudent? Yes. Did he deserve to lose his dream because of 30 seconds of ill advised (but in my mind, very justified) behavior and one unfortunate (but well placed) punch? I don't think so.

I think a year suspended was a little extreme. There shouldn't be no action taken, but a year? pretty extreme.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: LeGarrette Blount's Blunder (merged)
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 09:50:41 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1793
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm pretty much with all of you about how it was handled...and if he did have a past, then that was obviously taken into account...

I do, however, hope he gets his 'chance' in the NFL. If he was truly expected to go in the 2nd round, then not getting drafted at all would be very unfortunate- especially since all of this had nothing to do with on-field performance (although he was horrible this game). He didn't kill anybody or do anything horrendous, he took a cheap shot a total jerk and then [unsuccessfully] went after the fans in the stands...I am just saying, he probably deserves what happened, but I do hope he still gets a chance in the NFL (if his performance dictates it)...

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 10:24:08 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Label me impressed with Oregon's swift exercise of justice.

Thoughtless move carries a major consequence with it.  Good.

-sw

So Vick can kill dogs, what's his face can run someone over driving drunk, PacMan and Ray Lewis can kill people, and this guy gets screwed for throwing a sucker punch in a scuffle?

Gotta love American justice.

Yup, other than the fact that all four players you describe are pros, Stallworth is suspended for at least a year (just like Blount), Pac-Man was suspended for over a year (and wasn't involved with a murder, his bodyguard shot and paralyzed a man), Vick missed over 2 seasons and was in prison for most of it, and Ray Lewis was found not guilty (and would probably still be suspended in today's NFL), you're exactly right.  What a raw deal Blount got  ::)

I have a friend who was involved in a similar incident. He was at a bar with another friend of mine, a smaller guy who likes to dress....oddly. At this bar, some guys from a sports team from my old school kind of ganged up on my smaller friend, pushing him around, knocking his drink out of his hand, throwing homophobic slurs at him...my other friend (the one not being picked on) wasn't around it, so he couldn't do anything to stop it.

Let me guess - Potsdam/SLU (can't remember which you went to) hockey team?  A few friends of mine have had runins with each of em, there's really zero accountability up there.

Re: suprised nobody has said anything about LeGarrette Blount .
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 09:35:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
They're lucky that didn't get out of hand, as in an all out brawl. Looks like Blount just ran up there solo and knocked the dude out and then ran away before anyone could get back at him.

well, not really.

Blounts still a punk, but the guy he hit, if you watch the video and read the accounts, walked up said something in his ear and patted him on the shoulder with a big ol' smirk on his face (which you can still see as fist impacts chin) and went over to talk to to of his buddies who were laughing their butts off while a coach tries to explain to them why they should mabey try to show more class in victory then "slim to none"

As the deadspin article says, that in no way, shape, or form excuses blount or should have an impact on the suspension he so richly deserves for the cheap shot, but its not like he just randomly decided to punch hout's teeth in.

Hout was being an immature moron. He just ran into a even BIGGER immature moron in blount.

EDIT: anyone else find it funny that the 8-12 bosie players don't react much at all. Either they are all super disciplined or hout is not exactly the most popular bronco in the locker room. Not exactly a mad rush by the bosie kids to avenge their fallen comrade hehe.

I also think the Oregon state white guy with a bald head...looks like a bouncer (actually when they are that huge, they are techincally "splatters")..he did a great job of putting himself in between the two parties and making those 4 guys decide "brawl or let it go?"

he totally saved the day.  The NCAA should send him a fruit basket

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 09:39:57 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Both players were in the wrong and deserve to be suspended, but to suspend a player for the rest of his final season is probably not the right thing to do.

Just for the record, that Hout player deserved what was given to him.

For charging the stands and whatnot he deserves a pretty big punishment. But for punching that punk who taunted him after a win he should get a medal.

If I were an NFL team I'd maybe want him more.