Author Topic: parenting test  (Read 9920 times)

Re: parenting test
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 05:32:11 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

The old school way was better just like in most things.  You are headed for a spoiled child. 

I prefer the word "entitled" - entitled kids have trouble in so many situations because they feel they are better than others and deserve the world.  Imagine not getting a trophy for playing soccer even if your team finished last?  Imagine a teacher pointing out an error in your writing? 

New studies show that high self esteem leads to bullying, one of the biggest problems in schools today.  Kids who think they are better than others are the ones who bully, not those who don't like themselves.

Careful about 2 things:
1) 'Old School' is in the eye of the beholder.  Some may hear old school and think 'children should be seen and not heard'.  In other words, disrespected and disregarded.  Also, some may hear 'old school' and think harsh, physical punishment (like I got) and fear of father and/or mother.  I don't think either of these 'old school' methods are necessary for raising well-behaved, kind and moral children. 'New school' may mean to you being submissive or allowing children to do as they please  -- however, 'new school' to me means very involved, structured, positive and loving in high doses, but clear, consistent and persistent in the teaching and modeling and expectation of decency.  It does mean holding the line on many of the things some children/teens feel entitled to, but it also means doing so with respect, firmness and kindness.  An example of holding the line -- my chidren didn't watch PG-13 movies until they were 13 (unlike most of their friends), however, it was quite easy to hold that line and other parents were always very respectful of our family's rules.  I would not call anything we do 'old school' in that it is very different than the parenting either my wife or I received.

2) Be careful about the study (and I only know of 1) that says bullies have high self-esteem.  There are conveniently close descriptors for narcisism, entitlement and arrogance that 'look like' high self-esteem but are nothing of the sort.  In truth, most studies I have seen show that bullies act out their own feelings of lack of power (often feel mistreated, neglected or not in control in aspects of their lives) and bullying satisfies the need for power and control (a normal human need).  Don't be fooled into thinking that meaningless things like 'trophies for participation' cause low self-esteem (or high self-esteem for that matter) or have any connection to bullying.  Generally, such things have little impact as compared with so many other more influential things in children's lives.

[/quote]

agreed - firm fair and consistent is the way to go

on the self-esteem:

check here: http://stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/HHS_PSA/pdfs/SBN_Tip_1.pdf

check the resources, check the validity, looks pretty darned airtight to me.
it's amazing that for so long people thought bullies had low self-esteem because essentially it was a logical deduction, but no research was done to substantiate it.

and yes on the soccer trophy type example, I agree one thing like that doesn't cause problems, but when there is a culture of me-first, child-focused, everyone gets a trophy, no one can lose, you can be anything you want to be, it worries me about the future
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 05:38:13 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4601

edit:  can'y have the nudy bdm...but that's definitely not a fine example of parenting - redz

Only took me 1031 posts before I got edited by a Mod.  Now excuse me as I go rant in one those "Open Forum" threads. Lol, it's all good though, I questioned whether it would be okay, thought since the view was of the lady's back maybe it would be acceptable (and for those wondering what I'm talking about, basically it was some guys sitting around a stripper one of them holding a baby).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2009, 05:40:54 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

edit:  can'y have the nudy bdm...but that's definitely not a fine example of parenting - redz

Only took me 1031 posts before I got edited by a Mod.  Now excuse me as I go rant in one those "Open Forum" threads. Lol, it's all good though, I questioned whether it would be okay, thought since the view was of the lady's back maybe it would be acceptable (and for those wondering what I'm talking about, basically it was some guys sitting around a stripper one of them holding a baby).

I saw that pic nad thought about putting it up too (note how redz edits though, he keeps it light, doesn't make you feel foolish, even agrees with the post, gotta love him)

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2009, 05:41:43 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup

No biggy bdm.  It was a back shot, but we try to avoid revealing photos etc...Anyhow, having your kid sitting on your lap while your buddy has a stripper in his face is not such a good thing.  The others were funny too.
Yup

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2009, 05:42:54 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2009, 05:44:22 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
here's a good test question:

is this an appropriate Halloween costume?

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2009, 06:03:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Yup

The way little girls are dressed is a major pet peeve of my wife and I too.  Kids have such a short time to be innocent.  Why rush it?

http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Dressing-Your-Six-Year-Old-Skank/dp/B002IT5OO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259449270&sr=8-1
Yup

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2009, 08:26:11 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

The way little girls are dressed is a major pet peeve of my wife and I too.  Kids have such a short time to be innocent.  Why rush it?

http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Dressing-Your-Six-Year-Old-Skank/dp/B002IT5OO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259449270&sr=8-1

I actually bought that book - the chapter on skankish children is hilarious and sad at the same time

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2009, 08:31:41 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Yup

I actually bought that book - the chapter on skankish children is hilarious and sad at the same time

I got it for my wife.  Not sure where it is now!
Yup

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2009, 08:55:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Yep. That's a messed up Halloween costume. Is there no FCC yadda yadda group of some sort to fine the hell out of that company?

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Yep. That's a messed up Halloween costume. Is there no FCC yadda yadda group of some sort to fine the hell out of that company?

Eh, that is actually pretty tame.  There are much worse things being worn by 7-14 year old girls every day.  It is sickening.

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2009, 09:01:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Eh, that is actually pretty tame.  There are much worse things being worn by 7-14 year old girls every day.  It is sickening.
Yeah I know. Especially considering it's Halloween. nevertheless. What really sickens me is they wouldn't sell that if there weren't demand for it.

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2009, 09:15:26 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
I get the feeling that most of you complaining about the kids these days don't actually have kids of your own. You can all talk about how parents oughtta this and shoulda that, etc. and how you're gonna be an A+ parent. Check back with me when you actually are one. It's so much harder than you can possibly imagine.

There are too many posts on here for me to argue against so instead I will leave you with one iron-clad, take-it-to-the-bank parenting law: Positive reinforcement works a thousand times better than punishment. Praise the heck out of your kid when he exhibits the behavior you want repeated. It works. Believe me, I was surprised too.

Incidentally, this works with your spouse and employees, too. And you end up enjoying life a lot more when you're not focused on making people correct every fault they have.

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2009, 09:17:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I get the feeling that most of you complaining about the kids these days don't actually have kids of your own. You can all talk about how parents oughtta this and shoulda that, etc. and how you're gonna be an A+ parent. Check back with me when you actually are one. It's so much harder than you can possibly imagine.

There are too many posts on here for me to argue against so instead I will leave you with one iron-clad, take-it-to-the-bank parenting law: Positive reinforcement works a thousand times better than punishment. Praise the heck out of your kid when he exhibits the behavior you want repeated. It works. Believe me, I was surprised too.

Incidentally, this works with your spouse and employees, too. And you end up enjoying life a lot more when you're not focused on making people correct every fault they have.
True but if my daughter is wearing that I'm not waiting for the next Halloween to hope she wears something nicer to use positive reinforcement at that time

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2009, 09:17:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Yup

excellent point Blackbird.  It's amazing how hard that one can be to remember, but how simple it really is.
Yup